Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-31-2022, 05:42 PM   #57
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT A 45 View Post
It's easy to bash the dealer.....I get it. we charge a lot of money for sure. But being in this field, and working at the dealer since High School (1984) there is no better resource than us when it comes to your Chevrolet.......we have seen everything over and over again! Probably should have waited a moment or 2 before I posted what I did but hey.....I'm human
It’s all good. I do everything to my car that I can and have a local shop that treats me right when I need the big guns. A great mechanic is indispensable
whether from a dealership or out of his/her garage. I’m guessing you’re in that category. Keep that info flowing!
Old 08-31-2022, 08:00 PM   #58
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
Can you provide some more info on what you did here?
The buttons on the old fob finally broke where they sink into the remote then fall out. There was a thread a while ago about the "key fob upgrade". So I went and did it.

You are just swapping the battery and board into a new remote shell, punching out the roll pin that holds the key and putting the key in the new remote. I swapped the chevy bowtie as well since the new remote didnt have it. Keeps the switch blade and the fob looks better.
Old 08-31-2022, 10:35 PM   #59
BadAssBumbleBee

Drives: 2010 Callaway SC572
I've been receiving "Ignition Key Recall" notices and phone calls from my dealership for years. Every time the dealership called to tell me there was an open recall for the car, I tell them I know what it's for and that I'll be happy to have the key recall done if they provide two new keys free of charge.They always say no to this and finally stopped calling me about it in 2020 LOL.

I ended up swapping the electronics from the old key fobs into some new 4 button GMC Terrain key fobs that I picked up on eBay last year for $20 and could not be happier.

Total cost was $20 for the 2 key fob shells + $45.00 Canadian to have the two new keys cut.
Attached Images

Last edited by BadAssBumbleBee; 08-31-2022 at 10:47 PM.
BadAssBumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 06:13 AM   #60
Danial

Drives: 2013 SS/RS, 2015 Camaro SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Whenever we generate a repair order for a vehicle we receive a document like this....(DELETED)

If you just even had only 1 key done, it would show the recall being closed.
Interesting. But would you still be receiving the recall cards?
Danial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 06:23 AM   #61
NOT A 45

Drives: 13 CAMARO 2SS LS3-04 SILVERADO LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danial View Post
Interesting. But would you still be receiving the recall cards?
No
NOT A 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 06:26 AM   #62
Danial

Quote:
No
That's good to know, thanks. My 13 came with only one key - switchblade style and I was starting to wonder if the previous owner may have taken one key in for the recall. But I still get the never-ending cards, so apparently not.

Not that any of this really matters to me. Personally, I think this is all a non-issue.
Old 09-01-2022, 06:30 AM   #63
NOT A 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danial View Post
That's good to know, thanks. My 13 came with only one key - switchblade style and I was starting to wonder if the previous owner may have taken one key in for the recall. But I still get the never-ending cards, so apparently not.

Not that any of this really matters to me. Personally, I think this is all a non-issue.
I agree, I did my own recall on my car and kept the blades in my remotes. My wife prefers to use the key in remote, while I prefer to use the recall key to cut down on bulk on my key ring. We have 5 vehicles and 5 remotes on one key ring would be way too much.
Old 09-01-2022, 06:45 AM   #64
Danial

Quote:
I agree, I did my own recall on my car and kept the blades in my remotes. My wife prefers to use the key in remote, while I prefer to use the recall key to cut down on bulk on my key ring. We have 5 vehicles and 5 remotes on one key ring would be way too much.
I long for the days when I just had a KEY and not this fob nonsense. But that's just me...grin...
Old 09-01-2022, 11:42 AM   #65
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
Danial,
Agreed! I miss my 87 trans am GTA with one key for the ignition and another for the exterior locks+ rear hatch. Mine was pre-chip keys so I didn't have the little chip in it either.

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 01:08 PM   #66
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bald_eagle_machine View Post
Danial,
Agreed! I miss my 87 trans am GTA with one key for the ignition and another for the exterior locks+ rear hatch. Mine was pre-chip keys so I didn't have the little chip in it either.
You mean like these? From my IROC
Attached Images

ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.

Last edited by Aqua Blue RS/SS; 09-01-2022 at 03:13 PM.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 02:41 PM   #67
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
I can tell there are a lot of people who don't want the recall done. I did the recall to my own car, and when I did I neglected to remove the blades from the remote. So I ended up with 4 keys that would start my car.

Something you need to keep in mind, whenever you present your car to any GM dealer for service (even a oil change) Federal law requires us to complete any open safety recalls before returning the vehicle to the customer.
hmmmm...ive had at least 10 oil changes and an evaporator done at the dealer and still have my switchblade key.maybe i should try another dealer?
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 03:00 PM   #68
NOT A 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
hmmmm...ive had at least 10 oil changes and an evaporator done at the dealer and still have my switchblade key.maybe i should try another dealer?
Well federal law also says we don't let people just walk across our borders but you see how well that's working! Selective enforcement
Old 09-01-2022, 05:37 PM   #69
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
agreed.wonder if they would still come without getting all the freebies.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM   #70
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
I got one of each when I got the car. Pulled the pin from the scrappy looking one and put the key in the better one. It’ll last me a long time. Next guy can switch ‘em out when they see fit.
Attached Images