Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-10-2022, 07:22 AM   #1
BlkCamaroVert

Drives: '11 2SS/RS L99 Vert IO Interior
Both key fobs won't program after cluster repair

After having a starter and info cluster replaced the repair shop returned it with both fobs dead. I couldn't get them working so I gave it back to the shop. The shop is trying to tell me both fobs are bad and is trying to charge me for two fobs. Is this possible?

BTW, I found out too late these guys are bad news. Now I'm not sure what to do. They've had my car for a month jerking me around. https://www.local10.com/news/local/2...ther-customer/
BlkCamaroVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 09:20 AM   #2
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Nothing wrong with the fobs. They did something while working on the car.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 09:33 AM   #3
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Get your car out of that shop and somewhere else to get fixed and then sue them for the extra repair costs. No way I would take it back and drop off there again.
Old 09-10-2022, 09:50 AM   #4
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Get your car out of that shop and somewhere else to get fixed and then sue them for the extra repair costs. No way I would take it back and drop off there again.
+1
Definitely get it out of that shop before they screw something else up.
Old 09-10-2022, 12:21 PM   #5
bsn

Drives: 2013 ZL1
If you paid by credit card start a dispute.
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 12:27 PM   #6
BlkCamaroVert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Nothing wrong with the fobs. They did something while working on the car.
The last the guy said was they tried a brand new fob and the car started right up. Are they trying to milk me for fobs?
Old 09-11-2022, 09:35 AM   #7
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
They are trying to get you for something!! Get it out of there!!!
Old 09-14-2022, 06:17 PM   #8
BlkCamaroVert

I finally got the car back. They tried to charge me $350 for a new fob. I raised hell and they lowered it to $210 "at cost". Now I also have my two old fobs they claim they can't program. How do I try to program them? I now have one working fob. BTW the old fobs were part of that recall so it's separate keys and fobs.
Old 09-15-2022, 07:42 AM   #9
NOT A 45

Drives: 13 CAMARO 2SS LS3-04 SILVERADO LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkCamaroVert View Post
I finally got the car back. They tried to charge me $350 for a new fob. I raised hell and they lowered it to $210 "at cost". Now I also have my two old fobs they claim they can't program. How do I try to program them? I now have one working fob. BTW the old fobs were part of that recall so it's separate keys and fobs.
Sounds to me like they didn't program the cluster
NOT A 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 08:21 AM   #10
BlkCamaroVert

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT A 45 View Post
Sounds to me like they didn't program the cluster
The new one works. The old ones don't. They must have programmed the cluster but to the new key fob.
Old 09-15-2022, 01:01 PM   #11
NOT A 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkCamaroVert View Post
The new one works. The old ones don't. They must have programmed the cluster but to the new key fob.
O.K. so here's the deal. The fobs don't program to the cluster. The cluster however is on the same low speed communication line as the remote control door lock receiver. A unprogrammed module on that circuit can cause other modules not to function properly. Knowing that you have one fob working tells me that communication is now fine.

Here's my suggestion. Replace the 2032 batteries in both the old remotes. Then take one of the recall keys and hold it against the fob while starting the car. Repeat with the second fob. That should relearn each fob to the car.
Old 09-15-2022, 01:31 PM   #12
BlkCamaroVert

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT A 45 View Post
O.K. so here's the deal. The fobs don't program to the cluster. The cluster however is on the same low speed communication line as the remote control door lock receiver. A unprogrammed module on that circuit can cause other modules not to function properly. Knowing that you have one fob working tells me that communication is now fine.

Here's my suggestion. Replace the 2032 batteries in both the old remotes. Then take one of the recall keys and hold it against the fob while starting the car. Repeat with the second fob. That should relearn each fob to the car.
It didn't work. I read somewhere two buttons should be pressed on the remote or something like that?

Also, I notice my heads-up display is not working now! Also, the Driver's Infomation cluster seems mounted lower than it was. Now I can't see the compass or gear indicator without leaning forward. See photo. Does this look too low?
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2022, 02:11 PM   #13
NOT A 45

[QUOTE=BlkCamaroVert;11229614]It didn't work. I read somewhere two buttons should be pressed on the remote or something like that?

Also, I notice my heads-up display is not working now! Also, the Driver's Infomation cluster seems mounted lower than it was. Now I can't see the compass or gear indicator without leaning forward. See photo. Does this look too low?[/Q

Looks crooked to me. When you hold the key and fob together, the fob needs to be as close to the lock cylinder as possible