Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-21-2022, 09:15 AM   #1
KGreen

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
OCTANE BOOST

Looking for some wisdom from the supercharged guys in the group. What are you guys using if anything for an octane booster? There are numerous choices out there and they all claim to do basically same thing and the same claims! I try to run Amoco Ultra 93 as much as I can and seems to work well but maybe there is a better option with that? Is there something that stands above all the others?
Here is another question, I read about guys that are disconnecting and plugging their bypass valves! This seems pretty shady to me but I am new to the supercharged game. What is your opinion?

Thanks Kevin
KGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 11:25 AM   #2
Vicster

Drives: 13' ZL1
Hello,
There is no E-85 fuel near me so I use Boostane Pro, I buy it in 5 gallon container and put it into smaller containers that I keep in the trunk. I use 1 quart for 10 gallons of gas, makes 103 octane. I try to fill up when I get to 1/2 tank to make it easier.
As for blocking off the supercharger bypass, I do not. I drive 90% on the street.
Attached Images

Vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 01:56 PM   #3
KGreen

I did some reading on this product in the past but have never talked to anyone that actually used it other than what was said in the ratings on their site and Amazon.
Seems like the biggest complaint is the container that it comes in is garbage. There were some guys saying that it turned their plugs orange, screwed up their O2 sensors and or plugged up their cats. How long have you been using it, and have you experienced any of these issues?
Yeah, the whole plugging the bypass seems like you're asking for trouble! I am researching the adjustable ones though, seems like my car I have to be over half throttle before it starts building boost.
Old 09-21-2022, 02:33 PM   #4
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
I run E85 as much as possible, but I’m fully flex so I can use 93 if needed. I’ve never used any aftermarket boost products. I can get 103 from a pump nearby, but I’ve never tried it.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 03:40 PM   #5
Risingson05

Drives: 2015 zl1 m6
Same here - 100% e -85 haven’t tried 100% e-85 yet tho . Most I’ve went was 30% e.. I agree with Vic , boostane is the way to go ,unless you wanna mix race gas ..
Old 09-21-2022, 03:57 PM   #6
KGreen

That would be sweet to be able to get 103 at a neighborhood station! I can get 100 at a nearby airport but I had a couple guys tell me the AV gas is to dry! E-85 is about 40 miles away from me. A buddy of mine runs E-85 in his Vette and loves it but he works within a couple miles of an E-85 station.
Old 09-21-2022, 08:43 PM   #7
Vicster

Drives: 13' ZL1
I have been using boostane for about 4000 miles, it does change the spark plugs to different color but I've never had anything foul, spark plugs are good, 02 sensors are good, don't have cats anymore. ( Unless you run E85 at these horsepower levels you will melt the cat's it's not if, it's when)

Last time I was on the Dyno I almost reached 1000 rear wheel horsepower, the tuner kept expecting pings and knocks but they never happened.

Ultraviolet light will precipitate some of the things out of the fluid so just don't leave it in sunlight, best to keep it in a metal sealed container out of the sun or florescent lights.

Best explanation!
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...UjC0U5gKvOgb6z

I would definitely run E85 all the time if I could!

Last edited by Vicster; 09-21-2022 at 09:01 PM.
Vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 10:00 AM   #8
KGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicster View Post
I have been using boostane for about 4000 miles, it does change the spark plugs to different color but I've never had anything foul, spark plugs are good, 02 sensors are good, don't have cats anymore. ( Unless you run E85 at these horsepower levels you will melt the cat's it's not if, it's when)

Last time I was on the Dyno I almost reached 1000 rear wheel horsepower, the tuner kept expecting pings and knocks but they never happened.

Ultraviolet light will precipitate some of the things out of the fluid so just don't leave it in sunlight, best to keep it in a metal sealed container out of the sun or florescent lights.

Best explanation!
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...UjC0U5gKvOgb6z

I would definitely run E85 all the time if I could!
Seeing is believing they say, Thank you! I guess I need to get a nice 55 gallon drum and fill it at the closest E-85 pump.