Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-02-2023, 08:15 PM   #15
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Hardin View Post
Here in CO (for any counties in the Denver area) we have to go to state run AIR Colorado emissions stations.
There's ALWAYS a shop that will pass you for a case of beer. Or in Colorado's case, a small bag of "oregano".
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 11:17 PM   #16
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Is it just the counties around Denver or the whole state that’s doing emissions testing? I live about 14 miles south of the CO border in NM, it’s about the same distance to Cortez or Durango from my house. I haven’t heard anyone down here complaining about the emissions stuff but they do complain about it turning to California quite a bit. We are supposed to be CARB compliant here but that will be a cold day in hell before they find a way to make it work in San Juan county with all the Rez rockets around.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 07:44 AM   #17
MickGIS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Black,White Stripes
Send a message via Skype™ to MickGIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
Is it just the counties around Denver or the whole state that’s doing emissions testing? I live about 14 miles south of the CO border in NM, it’s about the same distance to Cortez or Durango from my house. I haven’t heard anyone down here complaining about the emissions stuff but they do complain about it turning to California quite a bit. We are supposed to be CARB compliant here but that will be a cold day in hell before they find a way to make it work in San Juan county with all the Rez rockets around.

Emission testing is only required in the Denver and surrounding counties and testing only by the state run testing sites.
MickGIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 09:37 AM   #18
MickGIS

Gen5 Waiver Emissions Tests Failure

I took a shot at getting a emissions test waiver from the state of Colorado since I had met the threshold for repair costs ($715). They performed the required inspection and denied the waiver because the car had long tube headers, unauthorized catalytic converter and non-stock program on the computer (a tune)

Well it was worth a shot and was free.

The next course of action:
  1. added the CataClean to a quarter tank of gas
  2. drove a bit more then the recommended minimum 15 miles
  3. filled up the gas tank and am running it through
Both the tuner and mechanic said to lean out the fuel by running the gas down to under a quarter then either:
  • Add 5 gallons of lower octane
or
  • Add a gallon on denatured alcohol
Then repeat the emissions test.

If that fails then I'll return my Gen5 to stock exhaust manifolds & cats and retest.

If that fails then I'll replace the tune on the computer and reapply for a waiver.
Old 03-03-2023, 03:43 PM   #19
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickGIS View Post
I took a shot at getting a emissions test waiver from the state of Colorado since I had met the threshold for repair costs ($715). They performed the required inspection and denied the waiver because the car had long tube headers, unauthorized catalytic converter and non-stock program on the computer (a tune)

Well it was worth a shot and was free.

The next course of action:
  1. added the CataClean to a quarter tank of gas
  2. drove a bit more then the recommended minimum 15 miles
  3. filled up the gas tank and am running it through
Both the tuner and mechanic said to lean out the fuel by running the gas down to under a quarter then either:
  • Add 5 gallons of lower octane
or
  • Add a gallon on denatured alcohol
Then repeat the emissions test.

If that fails then I'll return my Gen5 to stock exhaust manifolds & cats and retest.

If that fails then I'll replace the tune on the computer and reapply for a waiver.
If you had to go back to stock exhaust, I wonder what would happen if you gutted the factory cats so it would be guaranteed would fail? Maybe then maybe you could get the waiver, then put the headers and such back on and maybe then you could do whatever you wanted again???
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 09:42 PM   #20
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1_Chris View Post
finally 🙌 someone's getting it.......
Florida is great. No emissions testing, yet we have gorgeous crystal blue skies...
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 08:39 AM   #21
Dick Hardin

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Florida is great. No emissions testing, yet we have gorgeous crystal blue skies...
Denver has some of the worst air quality in the country and one of the worst cities in the world for air pollution. Most of the bad air in the last few years is due to forest fires either in Colorado or from the smoke that blows over from California fires. Most of the summer the sky is totally gray from smoke and you can smell it in the air. They actually warn people with any breathing problems not to go outside on most days in the summer. I have lived here for 30 years and it's gotten worse and worse. I am really thinking about moving away from this place I hate it. But nowadays you can't get away from bad weather anywhere. Every place has some sort of bad weather issues. In Florida you guys have to worry about hurricanes wiping everything out. And the heat and humidity is unbearable in the summer.
Dick Hardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 10:39 AM   #22
ZL1_Chris
ZL1_Chris

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Camaro
Hurricanes smurricanes..... nothing but a snow day most of the time. Wayyyyy better than a feet of snow and scrapping windshields in the winter and tornadoes in the spring and summer. I'll take sun shine and blue skies or a Hurricane any day. Not to mention all the snowflakes in Colorado...... almost as bad as California.
ZL1_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 11:14 AM   #23
Dick Hardin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1_Chris View Post
Hurricanes smurricanes..... nothing but a snow day most of the time. Wayyyyy better than a feet of snow and scrapping windshields in the winter and tornadoes in the spring and summer. I'll take sun shine and blue skies or a Hurricane any day. Not to mention all the snowflakes in Colorado...... almost as bad as California.
I'm glad you like it! My friend who used to live in Ft. Myers (a little south of you), lost his house, vehicles and everything last year. He may disagree with you.
Old 03-10-2023, 11:50 AM   #24
ZL1_Chris
ZL1_Chris

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Camaro
[QUOTE=Dick Hardin;11291529]I'm glad you like it! My friend who used to live in Ft. Myers (a little south of you), lost his house, vehicles and everything last year. He may disagree with

Don't misunderstand what I was saying, I'm definitely not trying to encourage anyone to move here, it's crowded enough already. Besides it is awful hot here Snowflakes just melt anyways
ZL1_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 01:44 PM   #25
Dick Hardin

It didn't take long before I was reminded of why I have quit this forum so many times since first joining in 2009. It's an invaluable source of great information if you weed through and can deal with the jerks.
Old 03-23-2023, 12:50 AM   #26
JAFWF
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS 1994 Z/28 Convertible
Quote:
It didn't take long before I was reminded of why I have quit this forum so many times since first joining in 2009. It's an invaluable source of great information if you weed through and can deal with the jerks.

Jerks and rats, both are on this page. Maybe fourth time will be a charm
JAFWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 07:04 PM   #27
MickGIS

Quote:
Hi MickGIS,

Please let me know if you do pass (and exactly how) as I mentioned I am in the same boat as you.

My results were even worse than yours though...

HC GPM 3.0089 .6 FAIL
CO GPM 24.1057 15.0 FAIL
CO2 GPM 646.1946
NOx GPM 0.6540 1.5 PASS

Thanks.

Failed exhaust emissions tests:

1. Adding 4 gallons of regular grade gas to a near empty tank
  2. Adding a gallon of denatured alcohol to a near empty tank. But this caused the Gen5 to throw a CEL saying it was too lean.
To get my Gen5 SS to pass the exhaust emissions test I had to reinstall the stock exhaust manifold and stock catalytic converters.

Colorado offers remote testing, from https://dmv.colorado.gov/rapidscreen

'RapidScreen is Air Care Colorado's convenient mobile emissions testing program. By simply driving past a RapidScreen testing location, drivers of clean-running, low-polluting vehicles can have their vehicle screened and approved on the fly, allowing them to skip a trip to an emissions testing facility.'

Air Care Colorado posts the locations of the RapidScreen so my plan is to reinstall the headers and then to drive by the RapidScreen and see if it pasts then.

Details at

https://aircarecolorado.com/location...rent_week_gix1