Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 03-17-2023, 05:37 PM   #1
DPE

Drives: 2023 1SS
New to Camaros, 1SS inbound, square tire setup question

New to Camaros, but I've spent some time searching and didn't get quite what I was looking for. I've got a deposit on a 1SS that's built and sitting in Lansing, so I should have it in 3 to 45 weeks from the looks of how the shipping is going. At least it exists.

Anyway, I've had probably 10 different cars on track covering roughly 5000 track miles. Typically run in the advanced run groups, and have occasionally instructed. I consider myself solidly mediocre given my experience, but hey, I have fun. Two S197 and one S550 Mustang would be the closest thing to a Camaro that I've had. I'll immediately upgrade the front brakes to the 1LE setup, because I'm certain I'll need to, but otherwise I will start stock and apply parts as needed. Been to ECR once (amazing track!), and have lots of time at Hallett, Heartland Park and Raceway Park of the Midlands.

The main question is tires. Some run square setups with good effect on 1LE and non alike, but some tried and then went back to a stagger. I'll likely get Apex 19x10s and run 285s square, because it fits and it's easy and I like the idea of a square setup, but given the OEM 30mm stagger on the 1SS will it get pretty oversteery? Neutral is fine with me; drove an RX-8 for a long time which was the very definition of neutral, but I don't want something where I'm forever and always just managing the back of the car. Along the same lines, is there any point in tracking the car on the OEM Goodyears? Or does it just mostly push due to the stagger? I'd like to try the car out as stock as possible (save for brakes), but there's no need to trash the OEM tires in one track day if that's what generally happens when folks have tried.

Some notes so you know where I'm coming from; I didn't get a 1LE on purpose. It is truly amazing what that car can do, but I prefer something more 'natural' for lack of a better term. Didn't get magride for the same reason. I don't care about being the fastest guy at the track, and the car will spend a lot of time on twisty roads in the area where 1LE-like grip levels just mean you're quadrupling recommended corner speeds to make it interesting instead of merely tripling them. Which means you're going faster if it all goes wrong. I'm old enough to know it can indeed all go wrong, and would prefer to crash a bit more slowly.

To be very clear, I don't think I'm somehow 'right' in my decision vs. anyone else, it's just what I want for myself after 30 years of driving sporting cars. Additionally, I know you can do some sweet setups with 305+ tires on 18s and such, but again, I don't need to be the fastest guy out there. I just want something I can work with that's relatively simple (if a modern car can be simple), balanced, and fun to drive on the road and the track. Being able to carry a full size spare is also a bonus, as I do occasionally take exceedingly long road trips.

Anyway, great forum here; quite a lot more focused on performance and real insight into how the car works than a lot of them I've been on. Thanks in advance for any responses.
Old 03-17-2023, 05:40 PM   #2
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
I'd suggest running a 305 square setup.
Old 03-17-2023, 05:47 PM   #3
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
I don't know how the balance of a non-1LE camaro is but a 1LE on a square setup is great. The car is pretty neutral leaning more towards oversteer than understeer. When it comes to pushing/understeer on OEM tires it really depends on your alignment. With the factory alignment the car will be fairly understeery. Once you max out the front camber it turns pretty well and is fairly neutral.

I'm running 18 square now and I like it a lot, I would not go back to staggered because of any handling anomalies. The car feels very much the same apart from the better grip of slick tires.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 07:54 PM   #4
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
I would try to go square also. If you find the rear end too loose, you can always get a BMR or Hotchkis adjustable front bar. For track rolling stock, I think I'd try to fit 10.5s or even 11s with a spacer and longer wheel studs up front. This set is sold, but it gives you the blueprint of what to get. That lets you run 295 or 305/30/19 tires and rotate them.

In my SS 1LE with an all stock setup, the stock wheels and Goodyears don't push on track. This is with maxed-out camber front and rear and a zero-toe setting. Those tires seem to last a really long time and take heat extremely well, so I keep using them for track events since those aren't competitions. I'm not sure if your SS would have much different feel: it has more swaybar and the eLSD does seem to keep it very neutral coming out of corners.
Old 03-18-2023, 12:42 AM   #5
yiweno

Drives: Camaro zl11le
18x11 Apex, 305 squared. You're already buying a new set of wheels and tires, just do it right. You can still fit that size in the trunk.
yiweno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 07:11 AM   #6
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
1ss here.

Sitting on 19x10.5 wheels. run 295 or 305 square depending what is available.

Car is fairly neutral. but with 400 horse you can get it to rotate if ya want it to.

While you are out buying wheels. Make sure you get a rear toe lock out kit either from SPL or BMR. It'll save your tires in the long run.
Old 03-21-2023, 06:00 PM   #7
DPE

Drives: 2023 1SS
Thanks for the input. Sounds like squaring it up is fine, and can be tweaked to taste with alignment or sways. I'll ponder the current Apex sale another day and hopefully make a purchase.