Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 10-31-2023, 06:06 AM   #15
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
I sure am glad I don't live in an area where I am concerned about $hit like this. Mine is parked in my garage or storage unit. I have a couple neighbors who leave their Camaro's outside all year. (Except winter). Something like this never crosses my mind. I even had to look up what "Relay Attacks" even meant.

If you need to worry about someone doing this in the area where you live, do you also need to worry about getting car jacked too?
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 09:45 AM   #16
Rogueleader_92

Drives: Chevy camaro, Chevy cruze
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chief (tm) View Post
What I don't get is, what would a thief (thieves) need to go to pull this off?
No need to intercept the code in the wild, just find a car they know to have a push button start at night then 1 guy stands by the car with a receiver/transmitter while another uses another to check the house. Most people leave their keys by the door closest to the car so they usually only have to go that far to capture and relay the signal to the guy by the car. Once hes in he can use the same trick to start the car and they can drive away.

As for needing 2 people, it makes it easier but I suppose 1 guy could pull it off if he wants to leave his equipment by the car/house while he goes back and forth to make it work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
If you need to worry about someone doing this in the area where you live, do you also need to worry about getting car jacked too?
EVERYONE needs to worry about crime. Thieves go where the money is, sure most crimes are simply crimes of opportunity but if your stealing cars using a setup like what you need to for relay attacks would you only keep to the high crime areas or would you go to more middle class ones where not everyone has a garage or upper class ones where they will often have more cars then garage space who will also probably have newer cars that can be taken with this kind of trick?

As for car jacking glad I live in a 2A leaning state, while its not unheard of here it's not very common and many news stories start with a blurb about the attempted jacker being in the hospital.

Blue 2023 Camaro, 3LT, RS.
Rogueleader_92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 09:53 AM   #17
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogueleader_92 View Post
EVERYONE needs to worry about crime. Thieves go where the money is, sure most crimes are simply crimes of opportunity but if your stealing cars using a setup like what you need to for relay attacks would you only keep to the high crime areas or would you go to more middle class ones where not everyone has a garage or upper class ones where they will often have more cars then garage space who will also probably have newer cars that can be taken with this kind of trick?

As for car jacking glad I live in a 2A leaning state, while its not unheard of here it's not very common and many news stories start with a blurb about the attempted jacker being in the hospital.
Well, I'm living proof that, that statement just isn't true. I don't worry or think about relay attacks, car jackings, intruders, heck I don't even have a ring doorbell yet. 1/2 the time when I leave the house to go run errands I don't even lock my house door... IDK... Like I said earlier, I'm glad I live in an area where I don't think about stuff like that.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 10:16 AM   #18
Rogueleader_92

Drives: Chevy camaro, Chevy cruze
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
Well, I'm living proof that, that statement just isn't true. I don't worry or think about relay attacks, car jackings, intruders, heck I don't even have a ring doorbell yet. 1/2 the time when I leave the house to go run errands I don't even lock my house door... IDK... Like I said earlier, I'm glad I live in an area where I don't think about stuff like that.
You must live in a very remote area. That or you are intentionally care free about your situation in a way I hope is never tested. Even if you are in a remote area bad stuff can happen to anyone.

Blue 2023 Camaro, 3LT, RS.
Rogueleader_92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 10:29 AM   #19
crazedmodder

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogueleader_92 View Post
I was talking to a coworker about how relay attacks work while watching videos of people getting their cars stolen at home in the middle of the night and ways to thwart them. Besides a blocking box/pouch (that I can't seem to find with out shit reviews where they just don't work or stop working), one is the usual kill switch inside the car but if you buy a new car will that void part or all of your warranty or cause problems with electrical components that need the battery to not lose memory?

Then he asked if it was possible to install a kill switch on the fob instead. A button or switch to disconnect the battery while not in use and could be activated in a pocket while you approach.

I don't have a keyless vehicle yet as my 3LT hasn't been picked up by chevy yet (send some prayers to whatever sky daddy you like for me), but does any electronically minded people know if this could be done?

Check the owner's manual for the model you want to buy. My manual said that the key senses motion, and disables it's radio if it senses no motion for a certain amount of timem. I still wrap my keys in foil and keep them far away from the exterior of the house, I don't commute to work and I only use the car a few times a week so luckily this is not too annoying for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chief (tm) View Post
Pardon some ignorance here, gang: I believe I understand the *technical* side of the process by which a relay attack works (mimicking the signal, whatever, etc.)

What I don't get is, what would a thief (thieves) need to go to pull this off?

Would they -- because doesn't it have to be two perps -- have to:

1) First somehow discover that you have a car that uses a remote key;
2) Manage to be present and able to deploy their signal-stealing equipment when you actually get in and start the car;
3) Follow you home and find out where you park; then
4) Return (both of them) and throw the bogus signal to the car while no one (i.e., the actual owner) is nearby to break up the heist?

Clue me in. I have a detached garage that's about 120 ft. from the street, and if I ever saw anyone nosing around near it, they would quite seriously need to have also prepared to have violence visited upon them.

I think you misunderstood the relay attack because it's sadly much easier than that. Also important to note that most new cars have a remote key, especially if it's a high value car for a thief.

They don't need to steal the signal when the car is running or starting, think of the relay attack as if they are just boosting (it's not exactly that, but close enough to think of it that way) the key's signal when it's inside your house for example. This makes the car think that your key is next to it or inside it, when it's actually in your house on your table (for example).

Steps to steal your car:
1) two thieves in a stolen car drive around at night
2) they see a nice car in someone's driveway
3) they stop and get out
4) one thief walks around your house with a big antenna
5) the second thief stands next to your car with a receiver for that antenna and keeps pressing the unlock button until the car unlocks, then hops in and starts it and leaves

It's a lot of steps, but think of how fast it is. The time to steal your car is at most the time it takes a thief to walk around your house. If you're sleeping at night, you have maybe a minute to wake up from people making almost no noise, recognize the threat and prep or arm yourself and get out there.

If you have your car in a garage it's probably safe. It's still not technically difficult to steal, but why would they take the extra time and risk when they can drive a few more blocks and steal a much easier target? Unless you drive the specific car they want (or something rare).
crazedmodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 06:21 PM   #20
The Chief (tm)

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS "Convertibobble"
Gunkk, Rogue, Crazed,

Thank you for the inputs; much clearer now all around. Not "more re-assuring", of course, but much clearer!
'94 ST1100 146K
The Chief (tm) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 07:16 PM   #21
Jetrep

Drives: ZL1 1LE, bolt, scary flatbed, hhr,
To help prevent this you can disable that unlock feature to where you actually need to punch the unlock button on the remote to unlock the door

And buy a faraday box or fob pouch. Sitting in my car with the fob in my hand the car won’t start when it’s in it.

There are a lot of asshats out there that don’t respect other peoples stuff
Jetrep is offline   Reply With Quote