Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-14-2024, 09:13 PM   #2297
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
Of course it's related.

You're arguing a person can't/incapable of changing behavior when it comes to ICE vs EV.

Flip phone to iPhone required a change in behavior.

Feeding your horse to draw a carriage to filling up a car required a change in behavior.

People adapted.
Incorrect.

I stand firmly my by analysis as fact. You’re free to your opinion.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2024, 09:13 PM   #2298
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Debate here though isn't range, but charge time now.

It's amazing how humans have changed their behaviors and adapted to new technologies over time if they can't adjust habits from ICE to EV.
If I am not charging at home cheap or free with solar the habit change was using the supercharger at Target store. Go inside and get some groceries or other items. Watch some netflix or talk on the phone and most times clean the outside of it while it's charging.
I like Griotts 3 in 1 green wax. It doesn't streak or make a mess on plastic or require buffing if a light coat is used. Project Farm youtube had good reviews also. A gallon transferred to a small spray bottle and small spray bottle of distilled water with a few sprays on a microfiber cloth make a good portable waterless one step wash and wax with no buff required. Makes some good use of the extra minutes of time if needed. Not a huge inconvenience.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2024, 09:14 PM   #2299
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrocker View Post
Incorrect.

I stand firmly my by analysis as fact. You’re free to your opinion.
Your analysis is as much opinion as my view.

But there is no discussion to be had any further for as long as you view your opinion as it is a fact.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2024, 09:32 PM   #2300
olrocker

Quote:
Your analysis is as much opinion as my view.

But there is no discussion to be had any further for as long as you view your opinion as it is a fact.
Think logically -

Everything that requires fuel in any capacity is measured between 0% and 100%

From gas on your car to the battery charge in your phone to the nitrogen level in the space shuttle.

Even the percentage of oxygen saturation in human blood is measured in percentage, with 100% being normal for healthy human beings.

So, let’s stay in the medical field shall we? Thats a very large portion of the American work force. If you don’t agree please correct me.

Let’s say a nurse buys her first EV. She knows nothing about cars, just only what she’s been told about how great EVs are.

If someone tells her to charge only to 80%, and then not let it grow below 20%, she may or may not care to remember in her first few charges.

But she works 3+ 12 hour shifts per week covering 4-6 sick patients on her nursing unit, and has two kids.

The last thing on her mind is “charge percentage”.

She’s going to let it go to bear 0 and then fully charge it to 100% only when it needs it.

Maybe you can help reminder by sending her a text every time she hits 20%.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Old 07-14-2024, 11:22 PM   #2301
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Debate here though isn't range, but charge time now.

It's amazing how humans have changed their behaviors and adapted to new technologies over time if they can't adjust habits from ICE to EV.

If a person can change how they used their flip phone to an iPhone, they can change how to operate an EV from their ICE vehicle.

The FUD of humans are too stupid to change is getting tired.

The argument in the 1900's would be, who is going to learn how to fuel up the gas car at a station when all people know is feed their horse when leaving home and go?
The fun fact here is in the early 1900s the question was “who’s going to go to the apothecary (drug store) to get a jar of gasoline?” Gas stations took a while to develop. Unti then most gasoline was sold in jars over the counter. Fun times if you’re a smoker.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2024, 11:34 PM   #2302
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Think logically -

Everything that requires fuel in any capacity is measured between 0% and 100%

From gas on your car to the battery charge in your phone to the nitrogen level in the space shuttle.

Even the percentage of oxygen saturation in human blood is measured in percentage, with 100% being normal for healthy human beings.

So, let’s stay in the medical field shall we? Thats a very large portion of the American work force. If you don’t agree please correct me.

Let’s say a nurse buys her first EV. She knows nothing about cars, just only what she’s been told about how great EVs are.

If someone tells her to charge only to 80%, and then not let it grow below 20%, she may or may not care to remember in her first few charges.

But she works 3+ 12 hour shifts per week covering 4-6 sick patients on her nursing unit, and has two kids.

The last thing on her mind is “charge percentage”.

She’s going to let it go to bear 0 and then fully charge it to 100% only when it needs it.

Maybe you can help reminder by sending her a text every time she hits 20%.
When that nurse buys her first EV one of the first things that will happen is the person delivering the car will familiarize her with the vehicles’s app on her phone. During that discussion they will explain to her when to use 80% and when to use 100%. They’ll also show her on the app how to set her charge rate to 80%. You don’t stand there like with a gas pump and try to shut the pump off at $30 (instead of $29.99 or $30.01). It’s so simple even a caveman can do it (where have I heard that before?). And there is no “forgetting”. Set it and let it.
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 07-15-2024, 04:16 AM   #2303
olrocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
When that nurse buys her first EV one of the first things that will happen is the person delivering the car will familiarize her with the vehicles’s app on her phone. During that discussion they will explain to her when to use 80% and when to use 100%. They’ll also show her on the app how to set her charge rate to 80%. You don’t stand there like with a gas pump and try to shut the pump off at $30 (instead of $29.99 or $30.01). It’s so simple even a caveman can do it (where have I heard that before?). And there is no “forgetting”. Set it and let it.
Again, you’re an engineer. Or you think like an engineer. Or you’re an electric car enthusiast.

Quit thinking like ANY of that.

It’s easy - for you. Since we’re throwing puns around (one of Elvis’ last hits off his 1977 Moody Blue album)

It’s not going to be “that simple” for millions of Americans who wouldn’t even assimilate using their phone app to “fueling” a car.

And again, they are going to go by the gauge on the dash.

You do not get it. I’m sorry. I know you’ve tried. I know these type of people much better than you.
Sharkskin/Light gray

Last edited by olrocker; 07-15-2024 at 04:46 AM.
Old 07-15-2024, 07:10 AM   #2304
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
The fun fact here is in the early 1900s the question was “who’s going to go to the apothecary (drug store) to get a jar of gasoline?” Gas stations took a while to develop. Unti then most gasoline was sold in jars over the counter. Fun times if you’re a smoker.
They still do this in Africa... I drove across Chad once and in the small villages there would be tables with bottles and jars full of gas for sale. Mostly for 2 wheeled vehicles but it was the only gas you could get so our one tank on our slow 10 hour drive had to last us.

This also tags into what I said about ICE infrastructure. Just look at one square mile in Los Angeles and count how many gas stations are there. It's going to take a long time to get to that point with charging stations but then again you can't gas up at home.
Old 07-15-2024, 07:22 AM   #2305
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Again, you’re an engineer. Or you think like an engineer. Or you’re an electric car enthusiast.

Quit thinking ...
Fixed it for you

Actually, I think like a customer. Do you think it was only engineers who bought 1.2M EVs last year? If only engineers can figure out a slider to set your charging limits

Quote:
It’s easy - for you. Since we’re throwing puns around (one of Elvis’ last hits off his 1977 Moody Blue album)

It’s not going to be “that simple” for millions of Americans who wouldn’t even assimilate using their phone app to “fueling” a car.

You do not get it. I’m sorry. I know you’ve tried. I know these type of people much better than you.
The proof that it is “that simple” for millions of Americans to assimilate the differences is the fact that millions of Americans (and 10s of millions of drivers in other countries) have assimilated the differences. Are those drivers in other countries smarter than Americans? I don’t think so, but maybe you’re right. Maybe they’re all engineers.

Old 07-15-2024, 08:36 AM   #2306
olrocker

Quote:
Fixed it for you

Actually, I think like a customer. Do you think it was only engineers who bought 1.2M EVs last year? If only engineers can figure out a slider to set your charging limits

The proof that it is “that simple” for millions of Americans to assimilate the differences is the fact that millions of Americans (and 10s of millions of drivers in other countries) have assimilated the differences. Are those drivers in other countries smarter than Americans? I don’t think so, but maybe you’re right. Maybe they’re all engineers.
The VAST majority - I will argue well over 75% globally - who own EVs right now are those who purposefully intended to seek them out and went out of their way to learn about them because they were interested in them or they wanted them.

These are all people, who, of course, are going to learn all about them, take serious interest in their daily operation, and have some at-least basic knowledge of what makes them different from ICE gas.

The nurse with 2 kids working 3 12+ hour shifts every week? She needs 4 wheels. That turn forward. That is the extent of her knowledge, interest, and desire to learn about EVs or cars in general.

She knows when the gauge on the dash for her gas car reads close to ”E” that it’s time to put gas in, and will pump it till it stops. Which will show at “F”.

If she gets back into her car and it reads “80%”, she’ll say it’s not full and needs to top it off.

Trust me. I’m not exaggerating or talking out of my backside here.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Old 07-15-2024, 08:45 AM   #2307
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
The VAST majority - I will argue well over 75% globally - who own EVs right now are those who purposefully intended to seek them out and went out of their way to learn about them because they were interested in them or they wanted them.
Prove any of this and I’ll shut up.

By the way, you do realize that this runs totally counter to the idea that you and others espouse in this thread that people are being forced into EVs.

Old 07-15-2024, 09:43 AM   #2308
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
I have mine setup to show on top of my home screen. You can adjust car color, and customize what buttons, open trunk unlock open front trunk turn on 360 security cams, AC/heat, and every common function.
I think back to your comment on this can be done on ICE cars, YEP. So why don't they, it costs nothin'.
I fill up my cars when they are at half tank. I don't run out of gas and feel more secure like that. This could be a cool feature to ICE cars but it's one of the reasons I like my Tesla despite shortcommings like the spartan interior.
I see the charge status many times a day and if it's plugged in in front of the house I can turn on or off the charge or as you said use slider to make it charge up to and when I want. So many things non-owners don't know.
Attached Images

silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2024, 10:10 AM   #2309
olrocker

Quote:
Prove any of this and I’ll shut up.

By the way, you do realize that this runs totally counter to the idea that you and others espouse in this thread that people are being forced into EVs.
So price to me that all manufacturers are still free to make V6 and V8 cars that get 20 mpg for the next 30 years.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Old 07-15-2024, 10:44 AM   #2310
crazedmodder

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:

Quit thinking like ANY of that.

Cool, anecdotal information being given as facts. I also have a lot of anecdotal information.

Most people that I know buy cars as appliances. They are not remotely enthusiasts (my Camaro has been disrespected by being called a Mustang so many time I cannot count ). Most of these people are not engineers. They have all been able to figure out and use the apps for non-EV cars, most of them understand that it is better to not charge a battery to 100% nor let it get to 0%, so it wouldn't be hard to have them figure out to press a single button in an application for EVs.

I know people that bought an EV, people who previously only bought appliance cars (aka Toyotas) and who couldn't figure out how to use a GoPro and transfer videos off of it (hint: you plug it into a USB port, that's literally it). They figured out how to press that button in the app so that the majority of the time it only charges to 80%, and they even know to switch it back to 100% when they are getting ready for a road trip where they don't want to stop for a longer stretch.

My mom, who was tech adverse until well past retirement age (she had a flip phone until then and still had difficulty using that), is now able to use an Ipad to play games and look at pictures on Facebook. She can even pinch to zoom and swipe!

If the majority of people can use smartphones [https://www.pewresearch.org/internet...sheet/mobile/] then installing an app and pressing a button does not seem difficult. I don't doubt that there will be some people who will not be able to for whatever reason, but then people still drive away from gas stations with the nozzle in their fuel fillers. I'm not sure that those small few are (nor should be) representative of the world.
crazedmodder is offline   Reply With Quote