Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 02:58 PM   #155
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC Stage 2
LOL! I can take jokes just fine. I don't know. Perhaps it's just something about their humor coming from people that don't know anything about our culture other than the obvious "fast food" restaurants or our nationwide obesity problem. Maybe I just don't like the host. Not exactly sure. They are more annoying than insulting. I've seen a show with this cool British chick and some American dude. They reviewed some green supercar that only she and Arnold Schwartzenegger drove. Her comments were colorful, entertaining and witty without all of the unnecessary sarcasm which doesn't help anybody. I wish I knew the name of that show. The guy actually knew how to drag cars he test drove and was awesome at it if memory serves me correctly.

Maybe it was 5th gear, but I think it was a different show. It actually airs stateside.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:04 PM   #156
WCFB-Russ

Drives: ?????
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
...Or you can not be a moron and separate the jokes from the review and form your own opinion....
so - basically, because I don't do what you do - I'm a moron? Or everyone who doesn't do you what you do is a moron?

Seems a little close minded. We all deal with things in our own way. I'm not saying that because you like the show you are auto-elitist - seems a little shallow that you are calling people that take the show one way or another "morons".

Mind you I'm not angry, just a little put off due to your little blurb up there...

Might wanna choose your words more carefully...

FYI - I "get" british humor. Monty Python is one of my favs. What they do on that show (TopGear)...sometimes it's funny but for the most part it just comes off as elitist drivel - mostly touting the supremeness of the BMW / Aston Martin / any supercar from Italy.

Last edited by WCFB-Russ; 11-16-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:07 PM   #157
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Bah, I know what UCF is saying. "moron" is a bit harsh though.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:09 PM   #158
ColorBlind

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Wish they would do a US version of Top Gear. I heard that they were considering it until they realized that if they bashed a car on the show then the manufacturer probably wouldn’t buy any commercial time from them. I think NBC had the rights to it and had Adam Carolla picked as one of the hosts. Guess if you are going to bash cars on a car show it needs to be publicly funded rather than depending on commercials from auto companies.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:11 PM   #159
DkknightX
Account Suspended

That is why Howard Stern is on Sirius and cleaning up handsomely. Top Gear wouldn't last 5 seconds if they didn't change the format of the show.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:15 PM   #160
stratman
Goldmember

Drives: 06 CTS-V
With the exception of "The Office" we tend to destroy their shows. It would definitely lose that "I don't care who you are if you make a crappy car we are letting everyone know" feel. Christopher Titus and Leno for hosts. Carolla would fit captain slows slot.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:15 PM   #161
Mosher

Drives: 1LT Cruze Summit White
Man, I guess I am wierd or something, I watch the show BECAUSE they can actually poke fun at everything. It's hilarious. It's a breath of fresh air from how Politically Correct everything has to be over here. They poke fun and laugh at eachother more than anyone, and that is what I like about the show. THEY MAKE JOKES!! This is not Mythbusters people, it's motorweek meets jackass except not as vulgar and once in a while you might pick up something useful. How could I laugh at all the jokes they make about themselves and about others if I then got all pissy when they make a joke about us?
Old 11-16-2009, 03:20 PM   #162
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DkknightX View Post
LOL! I can take jokes just fine. I don't know. Perhaps it's just something about their humor coming from people that don't know anything about our culture other than the obvious "fast food" restaurants or our nationwide obesity problem. Maybe I just don't like the host. Not exactly sure. They are more annoying than insulting. I've seen a show with this cool British chick and some American dude. They reviewed some green supercar that only she and Arnold Schwartzenegger drove. Her comments were colorful, entertaining and witty without all of the unnecessary sarcasm which doesn't help anybody. I wish I knew the name of that show. The guy actually knew how to drag cars he test drove and was awesome at it if memory serves me correctly.

Maybe it was 5th gear, but I think it was a different show. It actually airs stateside.
Supercars Exposed on Speed. The guy is a drift racer. He LOVES Porsches. I believe they put the ZR1 vs a Porsche and they picked the Porsche. All that while putting me to sleep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by black34v6 View Post
so - basically, because I don't do what you do - I'm a moron? Or everyone who doesn't do you what you do is a moron?

Seems a little close minded. We all deal with things in our own way. I'm not saying that because you like the show you are auto-elitist - seems a little shallow that you are calling people that take the show one way or another "morons".

Mind you I'm not angry, just a little put off due to your little blurb up there...

Might wanna choose your words more carefully...

FYI - i "get" british humor. What they do on that show - sometimes is funny but for the most part comes off as elitist drivel - mostly touting the supremeness of the BMW / Aston Martin / any supercar from Italy.
Although I wasn't saying that, if the shoe fits........

If you don't like the show, fine. But to be offended by the jokes and not understand that the jokes in no way reflect the car they're reviewing..................

How many examples do people have to give you? I don't know how many times it has to be pointed out that Jeremy named the ZR1 his car of the year.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:21 PM   #163
DkknightX
Account Suspended

I've never heard them say any British or European jokes and everything they compare American cars with on their show it is always against some Ferrari. They said the difference between a Z06 and that Ferrari was that the 100,000 pounds seperating the two were a crappier radio and wider wheels. Yeah genius, that's what I want a Ferrari for. That completely justifies the difference in price. Thanks a lot for the information! Let me pay almost double or more for a Ferrari because the radio and tires bothered him. Oh please shut UP already.

Honestly, how could they NOT choose the ZR-1. What other car even comes close? I mean unless it is blatantly obvious, they'll knock American cars over and over again.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:24 PM   #164
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
I've never heard them say any British or European jokes and everything they compare American cars with on their show it is always against some Ferrari. They said the difference between a Z06 and that Ferrari was that the 100,000 pounds seperating the two were a crappier radio and wider wheels. Yeah genius, that's what I want a Ferrari for. That completely justifies the difference in price. Thanks a lot for the information! Let me pay almost double or more for a Ferrari because the radio and tires bothered him. Oh please shut UP already.
lol. He said that the Z06 made a bad daily driver (tire noise, radio among the issues) but the Ferrari was good as a DD. He then said the Z06 is a fantastic car for the track but if you're going to use it as a daily driver, get a base Vette. GM employees on this forum have said this!!!!!!!!!! You're just looking for things to disagree with them on.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:29 PM   #165
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Never driven a Vette, so I guess I'm wrong. I still don't think the price difference is justified but you guys would know better than me so I won't argue about it. I could live with the Z06 with those flaws.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:36 PM   #166
BeermanSS

Drives: 2005 Cobalt SS/SC
I cannot believe that anyone would actually be bothered by those guys. The show is a for entertainment. Its comedy. How can anyone actually get that offended or worked up over this. I personally like the show and don't get all butthurt when someone pokes a bit of fun at me or anyone else. And for people that actually do get upset at this stuff, get some real problems in your life.
716-634-4100
talanpomeroy@aol.com
Old 11-16-2009, 03:38 PM   #167
stratman
Goldmember

Drives: 06 CTS-V
Quote:

Honestly, how could they NOT choose the ZR-1. What other car even comes close? I mean unless it is blatantly obvious, they'll knock American cars over and over again.
Agreed on the ZR-1. The car doesn't really leave one much choice.

I think you miss the point of the comparison to the Ferrari. He starts by saying a Chevy is as good or better than a Ferrari priced 100,000 pounds more. After his review he lists the things he discovered that he didn't think the Chevy did well as an every day car. The implication being the much more expensive Ferrari did do those things well. The car might not be 100,000 pounds better but depending on what you look for in a car it is notably more refined all around. That plus what most consider the honor of owning a Ferrari lies somewhere in that extra price tag.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:42 PM   #168
Mosher

Drives: 1LT Cruze Summit White
Quote:
I've never heard them say any British or European jokes.
They Spend More than 50% of there time doing challenges and breaking things getting there selves into trouble at there OWN expense, calling eachother Pillocks, they refer to one man eternally as Captain Slow, Clarkson refers to himself all the time as an old man with a hip problem, and that is just what I came up with in the first 10 seconds of thinking about it.

Clarkson calls porsche the laziest design studio in the world, says that only Cocks drive BMW's, and constantly mocks how rediculous it is to set all the wizbang fetures in STI's and EVO's.

But ya know, they are singling us out cause we are fat

Closed Thread

Tags
camaro, challenger, gear, top, vette