Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-07-2009, 02:50 PM   #1
sen10l

Drives: In Transit
Why is the Camaro the "best" for you?

From experience, most people don't really understand why they like something. They just "like it". But there are reasons for why you like something, if you take the time to analyze yourself.

Why the Camaro is the "best" to me (in order):
1) no soft design elements. Full of hard aggressive and masculine lines (most cars except super cars look feminine)
2) right combination of power, handling and performance (I want a car that exceeds my driving ability)
3) 2+2 seating
4) Cheap to maintain. Plentiful spare parts. Most people can service it.
5) wide body rear - the mark of exotic sports cars. Most cars have flat sides.
6) Long lasting appeal: already builds on a classic sexy design 40 years old; likely to be a modern classic
7) 20" wheels, wider rear wheels
8) Almost infinite modding capability

Comments about its competitors:

1) Hyundai Genesis Coupe: weak design elements; low power
2) Nissan 370Z: only 2 seater
3) Lexus ISF: 4 door, boring family sedan looking; expensive
4) Mercedes C63 AMG: 4 door, boring family sedan looking; expensive to buy and maintain
5) BMW M3: boring family sedan looking (blends in); expensive to buy and maintain
6) Infiniti G37 Coupe: low power; expensive to buy; tame looking (soft feminine lines, likely to look boring over time)
7) Mazda Rx-8: underpowered; design likely to look boring over time
8) Nissan GT-R: ugly looking; expensive to buy and maintain
9) Ford Mustang: tame looking (lacks curves, blends in, likely to look boring over time)
10) Dodge Challenger: less value for money (less power/performance), cheap interior, cool looking but not "hot" (flat sides etc.)

When you are rich enough to buy an exotic super car, you're at the stage of your life where you can say "to heck with it, I'm going to buy a car that is sexy and I'm not going to apologize for it". The rest of us were controlled by our financially sensible spouses, and car companies knew that. So for many decades car companies created tame looking boringmobiles that fulfilled their duties whilst putting most of us to sleep. It was the triumph of domestication that removed all right of men to be men, and turned them into purely responsible providers stripped of all individuality. This was the reality of the baby boomers.

But although the rest of us suffered along with baby boomers, we are now benefitting from them reaching retirement age. It's no coincidence that the style of cars from their irresponsible pre-marriage days are now resurging in popularity, as baby boomers are no longer shackled by their domestic responsibilities. At long last, the sexy car has returned to the comman man.

The Camaro is every bit the super car that the Mustang and Challenger aren't: a car designed purely for the senses with ridiculously adulterous curves, and with over-the-top performance numbers that aren't sensible in the least. The decision to have over 400HP was an arrogant "FU because I can" to the world that supercars have been proclaiming this whole time.

The chest-thumping savage dance around the fire, a ritual rich men have enjoyed the entire time during these dark ages of the last few decades of automotive blandness, can now be enjoyed by the rest of us.

Last edited by sen10l; 12-07-2009 at 05:40 PM.
sen10l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:54 PM   #2
sen10l

Drives: In Transit
ps. I don't need to remind some of you that this is a Camaro forum, so you non-Camaro zealots can kindly extol the virtues of your other brands in their respective forums. The topic at hand relates to "Camaros", or specifically the 2010 Camaro. The above post is my opinion, and not a statement of fact that can be meaningfully refuted or argued against.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:46 PM   #3
rj45

Drives: 2010 SS
Here's how I look at it..

The 2010 Camaro's a real nice car. It finally has the looks, fit and finish, refinement, solidity and performance to answer to just about any competitor. In years past, that wasn't the case. The Camaro's a genuinely well built car, now. Yeah, we can nick-pick about the interior a bit, but it's not a disgrace like past American car interiors.

The new Camaro, especially the SS, has more than enough performance for most enthusiasts (not extreme enthusiasts, but that's a much smaller demographic). It corners flat, rides well, goes well, etc. - i.e. it's a good hi-performance street car. And for the money, you really can't beat it. GM did a great job.
rj45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
Not the Most Simple Answer

The whole Camaro thing goes way back to 1967 for me. I had always loved them since riiding in a friends 1967 Coupe. Palin jane six cylinder.

Bought my first one in 1975. Then went through a 1979 Trans Am, 1994 Camaro Z28 and 1998 SS Convertible.

When I firts saw the concept car when it hit the NAIAS in Detroit back in 2006, I knew I was going to own one.

As such it comes down to:

1. Design - Just flat out gorgeous to me
2. Performance - I always wanted a car with this much horsepower.
3. Comfort - These seats are dynamite
4. Value - I really believe I got a great car for a good price and I paid sticker for mine.
5. Ease of maintenance - Well, heck yeah, even I can do most of the routine stuff
6. Available Add-ons - As the market develops, I will have a plethora of choices for making this car unique for my tastes
7. Last But Not Least - Safety - Quantum Leaps over what we had "back in the day!"

Last edited by greenrail; 12-08-2009 at 03:27 PM.
greenrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:45 PM   #5
future2010camaroowner
Still learning

Drives: none yet
I don't really see how some cars you listed are comparable to the Camaro.
future2010camaroowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:01 PM   #6
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
Im a conservative guy. It was perfect!
Old 12-07-2009, 05:12 PM   #7
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
this is simple for me. The Camaro is best for me because:

"It starts the work-day on a good note."
Definition: When I wake up in a work-day morning, I typically don't look forward to the rest of the day :(. I grab a shower, get dressed, walk downstairs to tend to several morning choirs...THEN, a smile slowly develops as I grab the Camaro key. Smile gets bigger as I open the door into the garage and see the Camaro. I insert the key in the ignition, turn, and the engine fires up. At that moment, my mood for the rest of the day changes as I can't wait to get on the road, shift gears, stop and feel the engine loping and slightly rocking the car side to side, go, run up the RPM and hear the Maggie sing its song, decelerate, hear the exhaust popping and gurgling . When I settle in the freeway mode, I turn the radio on and just enjoy the drive. When I get to work, I arrive with a smile and boss likes that.

"It ends a work-day on a good note."
Definition: After spending 8 hours sitting behind a computer. I start to get antsy as quitting time approches in an hour. As soon as 5:00 pm rolls in on my office phone display, I got the key in my hand. I ride the elevator down to my secluded and camera-monitored parking spot, I click the remote from 100 ft away just to see the halos come on. I get in, insert key, turn, and the engine fires up. I slowly drive away, feeling the engine loping roughly as it warms up as I hear the Zoomers cat-back music bounce off the walls of the underground parking, lift off the gas and popping and gurgling exhaust sounds fill the parking lot. Everyone getting in their cars turn to look. I almost feel pity for their boring drive home filled with work-stress thoughts. As I exit the parking garage, at that moment, all work-related thoughts of any kind is purged from my mind, my mood for the evening is set with excitement as I can't wait to get on the road, shift gears, stop and feel the engine loping and slightly rocking the car side to side, go, run up the RPM and hear the Maggie sing its song, decelerate, hear the exhaust popping and gurgling . When I settle in the freeway mode, I turn the radio on and just enjoy the drive. When I get home, I arrive with a smile and the wife likes that.

I don't know how long this 2010 Camaro will do this for me but I am enjoying it as long as it lasts....until the Z28 comes out.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:17 PM   #8
molsonbrador

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2018 Colorado
1. The most beautiful care I've seen in years.
2. The most beautiful care I've seen in years.
3. The most beautiful care I've seen in years.
4. The most beautiful care I've seen in years.
See a pattern developing? I knew I'd get one, just like greenrail said above.

Oops, care should read "CAR". Come on, let me have it!

Last edited by molsonbrador; 12-07-2009 at 06:16 PM. Reason: typo
molsonbrador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:20 PM   #9
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonbrador View Post
1. The most beautiful care I've seen in years.
2. The most beautiful care I've seen in years.
3. The most beautiful care I've seen in years.
4. The most beautiful care I've seen in years.
See a pattern developing? I knew I'd get one, just like greenrail said above.

and I get more comments on the interior so far

I love every square inch of it
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:22 PM   #10
Captain Vlad

Drives: 2010 Camaro Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Full of hard aggressive and masculine lines (most cars except super cars look feminine)
I still cannot grasp how some folks call this car masculine. The only guys with hips like a Camaro SS took years worth of hormones to get them.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:36 PM   #11
Jlpinc4y

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Vlad View Post
I still cannot grasp how some folks call this car masculine. The only guys with hips like a Camaro SS took years worth of hormones to get them.
They dont look like hips? they are more like, muscles, or something idk, but when you see a 2010 camaro driving down the street you CANNOT help but think " that is one hot damn car. "

then the thought after that one is "whoa... i own it -.-"
Jlpinc4y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:39 PM   #12
"prima"Donna
HWAY STR

Drives: 2010 RJT VIN#7085 & 2014 CRT C7
The Camaro is the best car for me because it makes me 'ecstatically happy'...

The joy and happiness I feel owning and driving this car is immeasurable...

The people that I have met and made friends with through my Camaro are 'treasures in my life', both on the forum, and in person...

We are all brought together for the 'love of a Camaro'...there is no way to describe the feeling to 'non-Camaro' owners...

The Camaro is the best looking car to ever come along in the history of cars being built, IMHO...

I am 'PERMAGRINNING' about my Camaro, whether I am driving it, looking at it, or just talking about it...

I have never, ever, felt this way about any car I have owned, and that includes my '76 Firebird, and my husband's '95 Corvette that he bought used 3yrs ago...

I didn't think it could get ANY better than those 2 cars, but the Camaro is 'ALL THAT', and much more...

The Camaro to me, is LOVE!!!...
Old 12-07-2009, 05:39 PM   #13
Captain Vlad

Drives: 2010 Camaro Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlpinc4y View Post
They dont look like hips? they are more like, muscles, or something idk, but when you see a 2010 camaro driving down the street you CANNOT help but think " that is one hot damn car. "
They look like hips. They're called hips. They curve like a girl's hips, they're not sort of...slabbish, like a guy's hips. Cars in general can't look male...to differ from the OP supercars especially look more feminine than masculine. Opinions differ. There was even a thread on it.

Now trucks. Trucks look male.

But yes, whichever way you swing, it's one damn hot car.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:41 PM   #14
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
It's simple for me. It's in my blood. It's who I am.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote