Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-18-2009, 10:17 PM   #29
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by syr74 View Post
I dunno 'bout that.

Mustang GT = ~3650lb/412hp for 8.86lb per hp

Camaro SS = ~3900lb/426hp for 9.16lb per hp

That difference isn't huge but it is meaningful. And while there are other factors to take into consideration many of those don't bode well for the Chevy. Example? Outside of limited run pieces like the GT500 Ford rates their cars on regular unleaded more or less across the board regardless of whether performance would improve with premium fuel. Put more simply, if 412hp represents the final, Ford hp rating than that will be with 87 octane in the tank, which of course begs the question what happens when premium gets put in the tank instead? Put more simply, 412hp ain't all there is.

Even more, I've spent more than my fair share of time at the dragstrip, and I can tell you that, even if power to weight ratios were identical, the Mustang would still have a bit of an edge since the lighter car always has fewer issues with traction, etc. The only real advantage here I can see for the Chevy is in torque production, and the buzz is that the 5.0L is really well executed in this regard and that torque is very good across the rpm band.

In the end the difference in acceleration between these two cars might not be huge, but the numbers definitely leave open the possibility that they could be bigger than a lot of folks want to think.
You're also forgetting if the tires that Ford decides to put on them can hold up to that much power.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:17 PM   #30
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:21 PM   #31
meanmike
Account Suspended

Drives: FIRST ON RACE DAY
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
You're also forgetting if the tires that Ford decides to put on them can hold up to that much power.
I have to agree with you on this. Come on Ford!!!
meanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:43 AM   #32
truth411

Drives: police interceptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHart View Post
Cobalt SS/TC>Ford Focus- faster, better looking cobalt murders the focus, and with a tune/exhaust can keep up with mustangs and new SHO's
Cruze>Ford Focus-(though i hate the cruze and focus both, the new styling of the cruze)
Taurus>Impala-(since the impala is more of a blah car and there's no more SS, no longer have interest in the impala)
Taurus<Malibu malibu's interior and exterior styling are beautiful, the taurus being new is actually a pretty sweet looking ford vehicle, but the malibu takes it.
Equinox>Escape
Traverse>Flex
Colorado>Ranger
(i have a colorado, so i had to throw that in there )
Camaro>Mustang---i'll admit, this one is biased
Overall +1
But to add my .02 cents
Caddilac > Lincoln (lincoln is just fully optioned fords with different styling)
2011 Cruze > Focus
Vette> no competiton from ford

Though clearly GM needs to do something with the impala, it is waaaaaaaay out of date. The malibu and fusion are equals IMO it just comes down to preference. IMO the malibu is the more visually atractive car.

Edit: 2009 G8 GXP > 2010 SHO
Good bye Pontiac :(
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:35 PM   #33
bluestang50
Account Suspended

Drives: DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
Holy ricerboy comparo batman!

The 11 Mustang vs. 11 Camaro should prove to be interesting.
Yes very ricerboy... you must be the "re-tard" of the group?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
a couple decades after one of the companies goes out of business
probably not even then

Quote:
lmao very true, but an easy fix
bluestang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:56 PM   #34
Axe

Drives: 2018 LS
Ill give the Taurus the win, just because the Impalas are, and always have been, incredibly bland looking, boring vehicles. The 2010 interior on the Impala didnt look too bad though.

I HATE Cavaliers/Cobalts. Kill that thing already. Ugly, UGly, UGLY...but the Focus is only slightly better. Cobalts just look like cars for high school students, nothing more.

Id take the Malibu over the Focus, I think its the first relevant 4 door car Chevy has ever produced.
Axe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:40 PM   #35
Super83Z

Drives: 1999 Z28 1983 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by syr74 View Post
I dunno 'bout that.

Mustang GT = ~3650lb/412hp for 8.86lb per hp

Camaro SS = ~3900lb/426hp for 9.16lb per hp

That difference isn't huge but it is meaningful. And while there are other factors to take into consideration many of those don't bode well for the Chevy. Example? Outside of limited run pieces like the GT500 Ford rates their cars on regular unleaded more or less across the board regardless of whether performance would improve with premium fuel. Put more simply, if 412hp represents the final, Ford hp rating than that will be with 87 octane in the tank, which of course begs the question what happens when premium gets put in the tank instead? Put more simply, 412hp ain't all there is.

Even more, I've spent more than my fair share of time at the dragstrip, and I can tell you that, even if power to weight ratios were identical, the Mustang would still have a bit of an edge since the lighter car always has fewer issues with traction, etc. The only real advantage here I can see for the Chevy is in torque production, and the buzz is that the 5.0L is really well executed in this regard and that torque is very good across the rpm band.

In the end the difference in acceleration between these two cars might not be huge, but the numbers definitely leave open the possibility that they could be bigger than a lot of folks want to think.
Yea but the Camaro has better torque to make up the difference. Camaro SS weight is 3860 btw. Which lowers that to 9.06 lbs per hp for the Camaro

Torque numbers:

Mustang = 9.35 lbs per ft-lb of torque
Camaro = 9.19 lbs per ft-lb of torque

So its going to be a good race. Its been a long time since its been a good race between the Stang and Camaro.
14 Silverado
Super83Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:58 PM   #36
a_Username

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe View Post
Ill give the Taurus the win, just because the Impalas are, and always have been, incredibly bland looking, boring vehicles. The 2010 interior on the Impala didnt look too bad though.

I HATE Cavaliers/Cobalts. Kill that thing already. Ugly, UGly, UGLY...but the Focus is only slightly better. Cobalts just look like cars for high school students, nothing more.

Id take the Malibu over the Focus, I think its the first relevant 4 door car Chevy has ever produced.
Cavaliers can be axed too as far as I'm concerned. Cobalts are very good cars for the money, and I may end up getting me one soon as a daily driver. Need something so I don't keep putting miles on the Camaro lol. But can anyone ask me what is the difference between a Cavalier and Cobalt? It seems they go after the same target market.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:00 PM   #37
meanmike
Account Suspended

Drives: FIRST ON RACE DAY
Quote:
Cavaliers can be axed too as far as I'm concerned. Cobalts are very good cars for the money, and I may end up getting me one soon as a daily driver. Need something so I don't keep putting miles on the Camaro lol. But can anyone ask me what is the difference between a Cavalier and Cobalt? It seems they go after the same target market.
They dont make cavalier's any more and have'nt for a few year's.
meanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:03 PM   #38
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Cavaliers can be axed too as far as I'm concerned.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:20 PM   #39
bluestang50
Account Suspended

Drives: DD
Quote:
I almost bought a cobalt ss sedan to be my dd. The red color they come in looks really good. The only thing I wish about the cobalt is that there safety rating was higher.
bluestang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:45 PM   #40
GEIST LS9
An Evil Automotive Genius

Drives: 2003 Mercury Sable GS
damn 412hp?,I wonder if they'll still offer a blower with the new motor since with the old 4.6 the factory blower put of 400-550hp.btw that's a dealer installed option too.
It's funny getting info on a ford mustang from a camaro website lol...
It's still a toss up,until I drive em I can't firmly make up my mind
GEIST LS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:51 PM   #41
a_Username

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanmike View Post
They dont make cavalier's any more and have'nt for a few year's.
WTF I didn't know that lol. Disregard my other post people lol.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:25 PM   #42
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
I think most peoples reaction to a car is in how it feels to them. I have had a Deville that never felt right, but my Eldorado felt good. I have always liked how I felt in a Mustang, but I have never been quite comfortable in a Camaro. I have driven about every car you might see on the road, and some feel good, while others just feel wrong. Sometimes the ergonomics of a car line are just right/wrong for a given person.
derklug is offline   Reply With Quote