Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 02:48 AM   #57
ViperTomcat
Banned

Drives: 2011 Avenger Heat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel60 View Post
I didn't think I would get a quick answer to that one. Camaro is heavy and it will be proven in a few months and don't even get me started on your handling.
This is the reason modern cars are heavy. If you were in the Malibu you maybe have some burns and scrapes from the airbags deploying.

If you were in the Bel Air you arent going home to your family that night. The cops will to inform them of the manner in which you died.

All cars are going to be heavy, they have to to meet modern, SMART crash test requirements.

Its a poor craftsman who blames his tools for his failure.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:08 AM   #58
Rickie

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT Conv
I haven't noticed if the new 6 will have a duel exhaust or not. If it's a single exhaust, that would suck for them........
Old 01-02-2010, 07:33 AM   #59
Amn_Bly

Drives: IBM 2LT A6
Send a message via Skype™ to Amn_Bly
First off, the 2005-2009 mustang GT, i would get because i love the body style. However the Camaro blew it out of the water when it came up as a CONCEPT, that became a close reality. When i as the 2010 mustang, i just don't like the back end, if they somehow got something similar to the 05-09 back end, i wouldn't be so disgusted by it. So for looks, the camaro gets it.

Like previously stated, both the v6 and v8 are about evenly matched power wise. So torque and weight are going to be a big deal. I also agree with another previous comment, both are america fight against one another, yet again. So with that being said the two are evenly matched, and both good cars. What it will come down to is how they are presented. To me the camaro is something that was a dream turn to reality. The mustang on the other hand is just another car that everyone has. Where i am from there is about 2-3 mustangs per camaro/trans-am. So the mustang is more of a, "hey there is five sitting on the lot let me buy one" where the camaro would be something new/different from the norm.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:27 AM   #60
jordanc

Drives: Cyber Grey Camaro SS
Let me just say i just sold my 1996 Mustang Gt that i bought new 13 years ago and bought a 2SS that i wanted since i saw them in 2006.I got tired of losing races to Camaros all those years. Enough said
Old 01-02-2010, 08:36 AM   #61
UsedTaHaveA68

Drives: Hyundai Sonata
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
its a new frame, new body, new engine, new transmission, larger wheels, a lot more stuff went into this car than did the 4th gens.

I dont like the weight of the car either, but in the right hands, weight is a negligible difference
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree here. To be negligible, it would have to be so insignificant that it would not even be worth considering. The fact that you have to take its weight into consideration and then make adjustments to compensate for it denies it negligibility. If you could take 350lbs off the Camaro and make it the same weight as the Mustang, there is little doubt the Camaro would excel in all aspects of performance. But given the Camaro's heavy starting weight, you have to add better suspension parts to objectively surpass the Mustang's handling numbers. And when I say objectively, I mean what you can measure, not the subjective "feel" of the car as it is pushed to its limits.

Quote:
the camaro is heavy, all the cars are getting heavier and heavier these days. the handling isnt bad... if you know how to handle it. just needs the right driver.
Sorry Spike, I guess we aren't all blessed with your innately superior driving abilities.

Quote:
not to mention with the wide wheel wells this car has, thats a LOT of tire to fill that gap. granted, I'm not a huge fan of the 20's this car comes with stock, but thats the way cars are going these days, bigger wheels, less tire.
Since I'm nit-picking, the 2010 Camaro with 20" wheels has the same height sidewall tires as the 4th gen SS cars. 4.3" Actually the fronts on the 2010 are 4.4", but that's negligible.

Personally I'm excited about the new Mustang. Like others have stated, competition drives improvement. Hopefully the new Mustang, with it's updated suspension, will encourage Chevy to make a Z/28 handling package. Wider tires up front, dropped ride height, slightly firmer springs, stiffer sway bars, some Bilstein shocks.... oh and an LS-7
Old 01-02-2010, 08:41 AM   #62
jordanc

Drives: Cyber Grey Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
Like Ford isn't ready to counter with a Twin Turbo GT500 ... right
Yea and how much will that cost $100,000
Old 01-02-2010, 08:43 AM   #63
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
These threads are dumb. My dad has a mustang. The mustang is a 2007 GT and will take the Camaro any day of the week. BUT he had to pump about 10K into it to do that. It's supercharger and puts 480HP +/- to the road. In the end, stock for stock i would take the Camaro 100 times out of 100. All power aside, on looks alone, the Camaro is king (IMO). My dad prefers the Mustang, thats why he bought one. Then again the Camaro was not an option. My guess is if he had waited, he would have got a camaro. He works for GM.

I still love driving his Mustang. Any bashers are not try enthusists. True enthusists love and respect all cars. Even if it isnt their taste. Even if you were dead against imports... who would not love to drive a GTR?
Old 01-02-2010, 10:44 AM   #64
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
Healthy Competition

I for one am glad to see Ford up the "Game." I think competition like this is good for the enthustiast.

Like some of the other posters on here, I would have one each of a Mustang, Challenger and Camaro in my garage if I could afford them all. I love American muscle, plain and simple.

I went with the Camaro, as I have been a huge (no fat guy jokes, okay) fan of the camaro since 1967. The 2006 Concept blew me out of the water. I knew right then and there at the Detroit auto show that year, I would have one in my garage when they went into production.

When it come to individual tastes and wants, this gives everyone a lot to think about before making their decisions.

This is exactly what made the American auto industry exciting to watch back in the day. Healthy competition which led to excitement for the buyer. Let the games continue, and may everyone benefit from the changes as they come about.

What i would love to see is a rebirth of the Trans Am series. Camaro vs Mustang vs Challenger and maybe even some of the Imports on an even playing field. Much like the V8 Supercars and German Touring Car Championships. Win on Sunday - sell on Monday with real production based coupes instead of cookie cutter COT's like NASCAR.

The real winners here are us the Consumers!
Old 01-02-2010, 11:28 AM   #65
CamaroFemme

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
Are we comparing the '11 Mustang to the '10 Camaro or the '11 Camaro? Because...wouldn't there be a difference there? The '10 Camaro has actually been driven; the others haven't. With no '11 Camaro numbers (or did I miss them somewhere?) how can we accurately make this comparison?

That said, having seen pix of the new Mustang, I would stick with the '10 Camaro anyway. Even if it meant sacrificing some performance, I'd sacrifice a little performance for a lot better look.

Subjective as she wants to be,
CF
Old 01-02-2010, 11:34 AM   #66
nickmccally

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Simply put, and you may think I am biased, but the 2011 Mustang will win a side by side stock competition.

It is lighter, it handles better and almost puts out the same numbers. RUMOR is that it actually makes over 426 HP (only by 3 or so horses) but Ford didn't want to repeat the issue they had with the cobras some time back.

Only time will tell, but I am very glad Ford has put a competitive engine out there. This means FORD AND GM both have to one up each other. It is only better for us consumers who love speed!

@CamaroFemme the 2011 Camaro will be the same as the 2010..
Old 01-02-2010, 11:35 AM   #67
CamaroFemme

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
We have official word that it will be EXACTLY the same car, then?
Old 01-02-2010, 11:37 AM   #68
2K05GT
Muscle Car Fanatic

Drives: 2017 Shelby GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravirn View Post
Apology accepted. And who says we don't enjoy a good spanking now and then? What doesn't kill us only serves to make us not-dead! Wait, what?

I'm sure the 2011 Stang is going to be a fantastic car. Remember though, it took GM to make them that way. The questions you should be asking is... has GM being sitting on their hands for the last couple of years? What does GM have up it's sleeve, mmm? *cough*Z28*cough* All differences aside, I like all three of the competitors and wish all 3 a healthy long life with many sales. The 5th Gen has me hooked, though, and won't let go. It's this type of engineering competitiveness that makes the end products soooo much better. Those who like Ford are getting a better car. We've GOT that better car. And Chrysler needs to retweak their aesthetics and they're golden.

True, Thanks to GM for turning up the heat...
Thanks to Ford for bringing back the Camaro
Yup, if it was not for the popularity of the S197 design the Camaro and Challenger may not have been a reality, plain and simple.

I can not wait for our 5th Gen Muscle Car Shootout this Fall.
Millennium Of Muscle series..
Quickstreetcars.com
Fiveguysracing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFemme View Post
Are we comparing the '11 Mustang to the '10 Camaro or the '11 Camaro? Because...wouldn't there be a difference there? The '10 Camaro has actually been driven; the others haven't. With no '11 Camaro numbers (or did I miss them somewhere?) how can we accurately make this comparison?

That said, having seen pix of the new Mustang, I would stick with the '10 Camaro anyway. Even if it meant sacrificing some performance, I'd sacrifice a little performance for a lot better look.

Subjective as she wants to be,
CF
This was my thinking as well.
Why not create a thread that compares '11 Mustang and the '11 Camaro. ? because the specs and stats are still in the air?

Now that being said, most new car platforms will not change much in drivetrain between years until they become tires and warnout, take the S197, the engine remain the same power and specs from 2005 -2007, the 07 gained a few pounds in stiffing to support the Massive Iron block and supercharger of the GT500 but it was not until 2009 that the 4.6 L gained hp but that was it. So I do not exspect the Camaro to make many powertrain changes for a few years. You will see updates and fixes to correct some production flaws. the 2011 Camaro will be better than the 2010 just for that reason alone.
2005 Mustang GT, Mineral Grey - Sold

Last edited by 2K05GT; 01-02-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:38 AM   #69
nickmccally

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFemme View Post
We have official word that it will be EXACTLY the same car, then?
They can't afford to change the car each and every year. The 2011 might have minor differences, things that have often been repaired on the 2010.

But yes the 2011 will have the same power train and body.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:44 AM   #70
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel60 View Post
why did GM make the Camaro so darn heavy? .
Does it really matter? I mean except for internet racing. Yes to the hardcore enthusiast is does matter because they race their car all the time. For those that rarely if at all hit the track, which is most of the people, it really means nothing in the overall scheme of things.

Closed Thread