Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-11-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
Samsiam

Drives: 2007 Sierra Denali, 08 Yukon Denali
Recommendation for Exhaust kit for my 2010 Camaro 2SS ?

Hi everyone, I just bought my new Camaro and I wanted a louder sound mainly when startup and idling and the dealer I purchased from recommended exhaust kit from GM #92225672. This kit gave it the better sound and supposebly it would improve overall performance and power. However, after leaving delearship and driving car home, I noticed a lot of feedback noise. Upon acceleration sound was great, but whenever I let off of gas and speed leveled out or I slowed down, no matter what speed, I would hear a sputtering- popping sound, almost like car was missing, but all the noises came from the exhaust - not the engine. I have not experienced any engine power loss, just flunctuations in sounds that will drive you crazy. Well..... I am having this kit took off and the original exhaust put back on.

Anyone experiencing same problem or do you recommend another exhaust that will mainly boost the sound and not cause any conflicts? Kit I had installed was $750 from GM.

Thanks. I just purchased
2010 2SS, White w/orange racing stripes
6.2L V8 Automatic
Polished aluminum 20's
Samsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:51 PM   #2
camaroMSUfan

Drives: 2SS/RS Silver Ice Metallic
some exhaust kits have popping when u let off the accelerator but if you go with an aftermarket borla s-type is a sure winner with great sound and little drone!!!
camaroMSUfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:05 AM   #3
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsiam View Post
Hi everyone, I just bought my new Camaro and I wanted a louder sound mainly when startup and idling and the dealer I purchased from recommended exhaust kit from GM #92225672. This kit gave it the better sound and supposebly it would improve overall performance and power. However, after leaving delearship and driving car home, I noticed a lot of feedback noise. Upon acceleration sound was great, but whenever I let off of gas and speed leveled out or I slowed down, no matter what speed, I would hear a sputtering- popping sound, almost like car was missing, but all the noises came from the exhaust - not the engine. I have not experienced any engine power loss, just flunctuations in sounds that will drive you crazy. Well..... I am having this kit took off and the original exhaust put back on.

Anyone experiencing same problem or do you recommend another exhaust that will mainly boost the sound and not cause any conflicts? Kit I had installed was $750 from GM.

Thanks. I just purchased
6.2L V8 Automatic
Polished aluminum 20's
It sounds like what you are hearing is "droan". This is common on the SS A6 with aftermarket exhaust. Before putting your exhaust back to stock, try insulating the complete rear trunk compartment. I hear that greatly reduces exhaust droan. That's what I'm doing with mine.
PS: Good color choice- If you have the sunroof- We have twins.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:03 AM   #4
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
I think the most success in getting a good sounding exhaust on the L99 auto is to use some type of aftermarket programmer/tuning to disable the AFM 4 cyl mode. When it switches to 4 banger mode, performance exhaust systems will sound terrible. If there is a lot of decel popping, custom tuning can sometimes minimize that, some will just be the nature of the beast.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:09 AM   #5
IPS Brandon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS black
Send a message via AIM to IPS Brandon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
I think the most success in getting a good sounding exhaust on the L99 auto is to use some type of aftermarket programmer/tuning to disable the AFM 4 cyl mode. When it switches to 4 banger mode, performance exhaust systems will sound terrible. If there is a lot of decel popping, custom tuning can sometimes minimize that, some will just be the nature of the beast.
This is pretty accurate, and fortunately you can adjust this with tuning via aftermarket programmers such as diablosport and or custom dyno tunes.

Magnaflow exhausts are very nice, and actually I believe they manufacture the GM performance exhaust as well. Typically their touring (oval) muffler systems are minimal on drone, and provide nice sound with the throttle.

Check out sound bites from several different manufacturers to try and get a feel for the different models on the market. We have them on our webpage, which I can not directly link you to but it is in my sig. Fiddle your way down to three you like, and then pick from those.
IPS Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:13 AM   #6
papabearcamaro

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 Z71
I don't think he is refering to droan. I believe he is refering to that crappy sound that you hear with alot of exhausts. The popping,gurgling sound on deacceleration. That is why I am going with SLP Loudmouth IIs. I absolutly hate that popping sound so hopefully the SLPs wont be to bad. And congrats on the car!! I have a 1SS on order and I can't wait.
SOLD(Traded for 2012 Silverado Z71 4x4 and 2012 Sonic Hatch.)...2010 Camaro 1SS/RS/LS3,yellow with House of Kolor Tangerine Pearl rally stripes,manual trans.Hurst short throw shifter,4 pack rally gauges,Roto-Fab air intake,Kooks long tube headers with high-flow cats,Borla S-Type catback exhaust,Comp Cam,PRC ported heads,Maggie with 3.6 pulley and 1:1 cog drive,secondary fuel system with 65lb injectors,ADM digital A/F and Boost gauge,Pfadt trailing arms and subframe bushings.614.25rwhp/566.82rwtq on 8# of boost.

2012 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 EX.Cab 4X4 Z71.
papabearcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:38 AM   #7
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPS Brandon View Post
...Magnaflow exhausts are very nice, and actually I believe they manufacture the GM performance exhaust as well. Typically their touring (oval) muffler systems are minimal on drone, and provide nice sound with the throttle...

I hardly ever hear when AFM kicks in.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:27 AM   #8
GOINGSOLO2

Drives: All Models
Samsiam,
We offer a fantastic exhaust for the LS3, called the Mach X. It is a completely NO DRONE kit, and offers an exotic muscle car tone. You can see our Mach X video here:

If you're interested or have any questions, please call me anytime at 516-655-9002.

Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
GOINGSOLO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:30 PM   #9
madmaxx18

Drives: 07_tundra/08_zo6
I bought the borla s type one too at first it was quiet once it broke in it got louder and I like it alot. It does have some popping at times on deaccel only when i hit it hard then let off the throttle. It pops a couple of times but the popping sounds kinda of cool not to crappy sounding.
madmaxx18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:18 PM   #10
Z71456

Drives: Camaro
I went with the Magnaflow 3" catback Competition series. I like it a lot. Magnaflow makes a great product that makes good power. The popping on deceleration is very minimal and actually sounds good. I like the sound of this exhaust and that it's not too obnoxiously loud like some. I definitely like the loud rumble that some of the exhausts put out, but at the same time I don't want to be a cop magnet either or wake all the neighbors at odd hours. I chose the 3" because I will be installing a Magna Charger in the next few weeks and was told the 3" would be beneficial over the 2.5". Plus a friend of mine works at Magnaflow and got me a great deal so that definitely helped the decision making process.
Z71456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:18 PM   #11
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail

Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsiam View Post

Thanks. I just purchased
6.2L V8 Automatic
Polished aluminum 20's
Even the stock exaust pop's and crackles, it's normal.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:51 PM   #12
Samsiam

Thanks guys, I had the factory exhaust put back on and car still makes the noises on deacceleration and at times even when maintaining certain speeds just not as loud as the exhaust kit brought to my attantion. I notice it more at slower speeds. Not sure what to do - keep the car, get better exhaust to elimanate this aggravating noise. That "droan" you call it - popping noise, gurgling sound like it is missing - is driving me crazy and I don't want to return my car as the dealer and I spoke of today, so if everyone is experiencing similiar noises it is probably just the car and I need a better after market exhaust that will probably clear it up. Again what exhaust should I get that you can actually tune?

Last edited by Samsiam; 01-12-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:23 PM   #13
petman
Proud IBM Owner

Drives: 2010 1SS-RS
Samsiam,, Am shopping for exhaust and have listened to 50 or more diff. sounds clips, and none will show the popping gurgling, or what people call drone, cause you see/hear them at idle or excellorating. I have a 1SS Auto with 600 miles on it. I have comunicated with ARH, love there LT's and all, but am searching for Axleback system, of all the clips the LM ll's don't rasp and sound good...but the drone NOT SURE

My Baby, 1SS/RS Auto
petman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:53 PM   #14
Samsiam

do you currently experience any sounds like my car is doing that I have described?

Sam