Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-12-2010, 09:42 PM   #15
Sherwood SS

Drives: Black SS/RS
Its most likely your AFM kicking in and out. Most annoying thing ever. I have an L99 also and have the same experiences. I hear it in the same instances as you stated above, letting off the gas or when you maintain constant speed.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:11 PM   #16
Chad's ZL1
THERAPY

Drives: Red Rock Metallic ZL1
Just get the QTP electric cutouts. They are totally awesome. They do pop though on deceleration, but if you get tired of the loud agressive sound then you just close the valve and your back to stock exhaust. Best of all the price isssss right!
Chad's ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:56 AM   #17
jimmie.briseno

Drives: camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71456 View Post
I went with the Magnaflow 3" catback Competition series. I like it a lot. Magnaflow makes a great product that makes good power. The popping on deceleration is very minimal and actually sounds good. I like the sound of this exhaust and that it's not too obnoxiously loud like some. I definitely like the loud rumble that some of the exhausts put out, but at the same time I don't want to be a cop magnet either or wake all the neighbors at odd hours. I chose the 3" because I will be installing a Magna Charger in the next few weeks and was told the 3" would be beneficial over the 2.5". Plus a friend of mine works at Magnaflow and got me a great deal so that definitely helped the decision making process.
i am also having this kit installed and the shop that is putting it in for me is lining the baseboards, doors and rear interior panels with the sound dampening material to completely block out any possible drone.
jimmie.briseno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:00 AM   #18
GOINGSOLO2

Drives: All Models
Hello. The noise you are referring to is from backpressure...that is what creates the popping and gurgling on deceleration. Drone is completely different. Drone is a deep, bassy hum and vibration in the cabin from sound that travels through the body of the car into the cabin. This can be caused from many things, such as exhaust design, improper install, exhaust leaks, an exhaust hanger touching something that it shouldn't be, etc. The gurgle on deceleration is harder to avoid, as it is more engine specific. It's really a matter of personal taste, as some people love that gurgle on deceleration, and others can't stand it.
GOINGSOLO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:03 PM   #19
Samsiam

Drives: 2007 Sierra Denali, 08 Yukon Denali
I appreciate it guys, gals but the dealer I purchased from let me return the car and gave me a refund. Might sound crazy or impossible, but they did and I did. I might persue the 2011 when they come out. But the noises I was experiencing was mind boggeling. Luckly I had a great dealer - Moore's Chevrolet in Clarksville, Va., not a big dealer, but one that appreciates their customers and they knew I did everything to try to keep the car and that they tried to keep my business. GM told dealer not to refund me, but the owner of dealership did anyway. Thanks Rodney!
Samsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:26 PM   #20
SS Drifter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx18 View Post
I bought the borla s type one too at first it was quiet once it broke in it got louder and I like it alot. It does have some popping at times on deaccel only when i hit it hard then let off the throttle. It pops a couple of times but the popping sounds kinda of cool not to crappy sounding.
Compared to stock, how much louder is the Borla S type? I really like the tone of the Borla system but, don't want to go any louder.

Chevy dealer is recommending a Flowmaster axle back. Any comments on this set-up?

The drone that everyone is speaking of can be greatly reduced with sound deadening. I just did my L99 SS floor and q-panels from the door posts back. It made a huge difference. No buzz or drone and it's quiet until you get on it. I still don't like the sound of stock exhaust.
SS Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:35 PM   #21
SS Drifter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsiam View Post
I appreciate it guys, gals but the dealer I purchased from let me return the car and gave me a refund. Might sound crazy or impossible, but they did and I did. I might persue the 2011 when they come out. But the noises I was experiencing was mind boggeling. Luckly I had a great dealer - Moore's Chevrolet in Clarksville, Va., not a big dealer, but one that appreciates their customers and they knew I did everything to try to keep the car and that they tried to keep my business. GM told dealer not to refund me, but the owner of dealership did anyway. Thanks Rodney!
Sorry to hear that you returned it. If GM would just use a little insulation in the body most everyone would be happier. This is what happens when the finance guys start telling the engineers what to do. It probably wouldn't cost them more then a few bucks to do it right.
SS Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote