Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-18-2010, 09:27 AM   #15
iluvmy67camaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Red Jewel
Okay, another question... CatBack, what does it mean, what does it do?
Old 01-18-2010, 09:30 AM   #16
esperman
You Can Call Me Jay

Drives: 2010 1LT RJT Manual w/CAI & Solo
just means it bolts up after the catalytic converters. Basically it a whole new exhaust system.
esperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:41 AM   #17
Dave Coyle

Drives: 2010 SS , 1970 Z-28, 2002 Avalanche
I have Kooks 1 7/8 headers with a full Corsa exhaust and when you are running down the road she is quiet but when you stand on her, she sounds like a race car. I love it!!!
Kooks 1 7/8 LT Headers/Hi-Flo Cats/Corsa Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI / Port Intake
Precission 2400/2800 Converter/3.73 AAM gears
Livernois Motorsports Tune

Best time: 11.97 @ 117 MPH
Dave Coyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:42 AM   #18
binlow84

Drives: '10 Camaro, IBM 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmy67camaro View Post
Thank you to MemphisRaines, downwithopp, and caverman, you were very helpful and I appreciate your willingness to help.

To the other guys who just had to post "off topic", please pardon my infallibility as male!

Oh... wait... that's right, I am not a man! I am a woman who made an honest mistake in "Camaro Speak", while I was trying to find out some informaiton.

But point well taken, I shall never refer to my Camaro that way again.

Does that make it all better now?
[Off-Topic]
Ouch, I didn't mean anything personal by my reply and meant it more as a joke than anything else, I apologize if you felt it was directed otherwise. This being the General Discussion forums I have a habit of going a bit off topic for a comment and I forget that sometimes my comments don't quite come out as intended through text.

I also apologize a million times over for referring to you as a "he." Had I known otherwise I would never have made such a horrible mistake. Also, in the interest of full disclosure and not making the same mistakes twice in one thread there is not an ounce of sarcasm in this post, just a genuine apology.
Produced - 2/24/10
In the driveway - 3/4/10
Total time order to delivery - 47 days
binlow84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:55 AM   #19
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
My 67SS was an 8cyl, 350 with an automatic turbo 350 transmission and it had flowmaster hedders. She sounded beautiful; she growled, grumbled and rumbled and sounded like a beast. She had a radio that didn't work but that didn't matter because I would never listen to it anyway, I prefered to listen to her. She could be heard coming down the road from almost 3/4 of a mile away on a quiet day and when she sat in idle the whole car just resonated with power.

I want my 2010 SS/RS to sound like that, but when I lift the hood and gaze into the engine compartment I want to cry. It's just too confusing for me. I am not a gear head, I really don't know a whole lot about cars to begin with other than I just love Camaro's. Mom says I've had a thing for Camaro's since way back when I was a little girl, evidently one of their friends had a Camaro and I used to love just sitting in it while they were visiting.

So tell me, in simple terms, what is the best way for me to get "Little Red II" sounding like my first "Little Red". Yes, I have given them both the same name, very un-original but unless another name comes along which suits her better, that is what she shall be called.

You can come close but will never be able to duplicate it due to the Muffler Location.

To come close you would have to install Long Tube Headers with NO CATS ( illegal) and flowmaster dual exhaust kit, this will require a custom tune.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:58 AM   #20
Downwithopp

Drives: 2010 Black SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
You can come close but will never be able to duplicate it due to the Muffler Location.

To come close you would have to install Long Tube Headers with NO CATS ( illegal) and flowmaster dual exhaust kit, this will require a custom tune.

Ted.

If you install cutouts before the cats its basically like not having them.
Downwithopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:09 AM   #21
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by binlow84 View Post
[Off-Topic]
Ouch, I didn't mean anything personal by my reply and meant it more as a joke than anything else, I apologize if you felt it was directed otherwise. This being the General Discussion forums I have a habit of going a bit off topic for a comment and I forget that sometimes my comments don't quite come out as intended through text.

I also apologize a million times over for referring to you as a "he." Had I known otherwise I would never have made such a horrible mistake. Also, in the interest of full disclosure and not making the same mistakes twice in one thread there is not an ounce of sarcasm in this post, just a genuine apology.
So the giant picture of red lips didn't give it away she might not be a man? lol

As for the topic at had you can listen to the sounds in the exhaust thread and get a basic idea. I really like the sound of the corsa cat back. It has a real raspy sound to it. Their whole thing is the no drone so we'll see once I get it. Other than that you could see if anyone on the site lives around you and get a listen to theirs in person.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:10 AM   #22
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downwithopp View Post
If you install cutouts before the cats its basically like not having them.
That Definatley Will Not give here the sound she is Looking For.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:38 PM   #23
Downwithopp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
That Definatley Will Not give here the sound she is Looking For.

Quote:
She sounded beautiful; she growled, grumbled and rumbled and sounded like a beast.
Last Time I Checked Thats How The Cutouts Sounded When Open. I'm Sorry For Trying To Help.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:43 PM   #24
Nicholas
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downwithopp View Post
Mindz told me about cutouts a while back and since then I can't get away from their sound, honestly better sounding then any exhaust system I've heard.

And you can open and close them incase cops in your area are stiff about sound laws.

I like cutouts but they reduce power a little I've heard
Nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:46 PM   #25
Downwithopp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
I like cutouts but they reduce power a little I've heard
The video has dyno tests with them open showing an extra 18 rwhp.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:02 PM   #26
Johnny1

Drives: Would only drive GM
Back in the day!! Cut outs weren't electric they were either on lake pipes or they just came out the side of the car behind the front tires just in front of the front doors. You basically taped into the exhaust pipe right after the exhaust manifolds and ran them out along side of the car with caps on them.I remember we always stuck a rag in the open pipe when we turned off the engine because if you had a quick change in temperature you could warp a valve. Then after they cooled a bit we would take the rag out and put the caps on.
Johnny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:31 PM   #27
iluvmy67camaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Red Jewel
I watched and listened to the video that Downwithopp posted about the "2010 Camaro SS With QTP Oval Electric Exhaust Cutouts"

The more I listen the more I like it. Seriously, it is awesome and amazing, and sounds so close to what I am looking for, and I really like how I would be able to tone it down by closing the cutouts.

Closing the cutouts would get the guys pulling security at Fort Benning off my back as I go through the main gates. They used to make me pull over for inspection in my 67 on a regular basis, but couldn't give me a ticket becuase I wasn't breaking any laws.

Would I be able to close them while I am driving or do I have to be stopped with the gears in park to close them?
Old 01-18-2010, 03:44 PM   #28
Downwithopp

Quote:
I watched and listened to the video that Downwithopp posted about the "2010 Camaro SS With QTP Oval Electric Exhaust Cutouts"

The more I listen the more I like it. Seriously, it is awesome and amazing, and sounds so close to what I am looking for, and I really like how I would be able to tone it down by closing the cutouts.

Closing the cutouts would get the guys pulling security at Fort Benning off my back as I go through the main gates. They used to make me pull over for inspection in my 67 on a regular basis, but couldn't give me a ticket becuase I wasn't breaking any laws.

Would I be able to close them while I am driving or do I have to be stopped with the gears in park to close them?
They have a switch that you press and they open and close while driving. See the black and white, close em. Going down a long back road, open them and let em rip. The whole process takes 2 seconds to open and close so its quick.

Glad you like them, I ordered mine on the 14th. Can't wait for them to get here