Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-23-2010, 10:15 PM   #1
Booster

Drives: 2010 Lincoln MKS
a confession...

First I want to say that I'm not trying to start a war, and I really am not even looking for answers. This is just something that has been weighing heavy on me so I thought I would get it off my chest.

I am a Ford fan... I guess there isn't really anything in particular that makes me a Ford fan...and I have to admit it's a recent admiration. To understand where I am coming from I will explain some of the reasons why I like Ford. It's not because of a family member I don't have anyone that works for an automotive company period, it's not because of products owned. (In my life I have owned a cavalier, Daytona, Neon, blazer, Taurus, Durango, and now an MKZ). When I was growing up I have almost always preferred the Camaro and Firebird to the Mustang, my mom even owned a 85 Trans AM. I have always liked the 65 Mustang... and Eleanor was beautiful, but in general the Camaro has been the faster better car. Then it left...and GM fell apart. I think that's when my admiration for Ford began. It started with the Fusion which by no means is an exciting car, but it was, in a time when American made cars (not trucks...we have always had better trucks) were quit frankly bland. The fusion was a step in the right direction. Ford also introduced Sync, which in my opinion rivals even the best systems from BMW and Mercedes and will only get better this year, Ford and redesigned or refreshed almost their entire line up... and they didn't take any government assistance. (before you jump all over me, I realize that had more to do with the fact that Ford was in a position to sell some of its desirable brands more so than health of the company at the time.) None the less Ford has remained independent, they are putting great products on the road, improving interiors and in-car infotainment, pound for pound that puts Fords overall line up ahead of GM and Dodge.

This brings me to the issue that has been weighing on me so heavily, the 2010 Mustang is a great car, it has a great interior, comes with all that Ford has to offer in terms of Sync and a real navigation screen, it (arguably) handles better, is lighter and really is a great overall package. It doesn't look all that bad either.

Now the Camaro...it's sinister, just mean looking...(I love it) It makes the Mustang look vanilla in comparison. It has a great motor and exhaust note. I good shifter and IRS. (although credit Ford for tuning the live axel quite well.) The interior although better than a lot of Chevy's just isn't at the level of the Stang, the radio/Nav are not quite there and the car is heavy...all that aside it's still a great package and was going to be my next car.

Then Ford introduced the 5.0... I don't want this to turn into another Mustang vs Camaro thread, I just needed to vent. I guess I look at the Mustang as probably the more complete package, and the logical choice... it's a little more practical due to visibility, probably going to be a little faster because of power to weight, and has the nicer creature comforts...(although that's certainly subjective.) The Camaro is to me still the sexy mistress you don't tell your wife about. I still pine for her and therefore I am having a difficult time making this decision.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to vent and feel free to comment.

Booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:17 PM   #2
full of days

Drives: Camaro GT
Go with the one that makes your heart swell... and do the math--->

Post Tenebras Lux

full of days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:24 PM   #3
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
The 2011 Mustang GT is going to be great. The 2012 Camaro will also be great. Do you see where I'm going here?

Despite the countless closed and ongoing threads passionately but purposelessly arguing the superiority of one product over the other, there is no final winner in the field of performance. Some might say there is a superior package in the field of visuals, and they tend to lean toward the Camaro. Some might even argue that the potential of the LS-series engine is unmatched, making the Camaro a car that will have more potential for more horsepower in the long run. Some might argue that the Mustang has more OEM parts available through Ford Racing. There are endless arguments on which is better even without considering performance.

I will choose the Camaro on potential for more power and the trustworthy engineering of GM. No one else matches their warranty, and that is because no one else engineers cars on their level enough to back them.

You may choose the Mustang on your traditional attraction to the Ford brand. That's just fine. There's no good reason to choose one car over another. There's always something faster or more features to be had. There's always next year, too. When you choose your car, choose it because you can see yourself in the driver's seat of that car. The car will tell you if you're a match. Don't let the people in any forum tell you otherwise.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:25 PM   #4
Booster

I also want to say that no matter what my decision ends up being, I will continue to frequent this forum. It's a class act, the people are great. I can't think of a nicer online community and I belong to LGW as well. The people in are even nicer.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:26 PM   #5
kutch720

Drives: Camaro 1LT RS
Guilty!

J/K get whatever will make you happier. Just make sure it is an American Brand.

:flag1:
kutch720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:28 PM   #6
Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
The 2011 Mustang GT is going to be great. The 2012 Camaro will also be great. Do you see where I'm going here?

Despite the countless closed and ongoing threads passionately but purposelessly arguing the superiority of one product over the other, there is no final winner in the field of performance. Some might say there is a superior package in the field of visuals, and they tend to lean toward the Camaro. Some might even argue that the potential of the LS-series engine is unmatched, making the Camaro a car that will have more potential for more horsepower in the long run. Some might argue that the Mustang has more OEM parts available through Ford Racing. There are endless arguments on which is better even without considering performance.

I will choose the Camaro on potential for more power and the trustworthy engineering of GM. No one else matches their warranty, and that is because no one else engineers cars on their level enough to back them.

You may choose the Mustang on your traditional attraction to the Ford brand. That's just fine. There's no good reason to choose one car over another. There's always something faster or more features to be had. There's always next year, too. When you choose your car, choose it because you can see yourself in the driver's seat of that car. The car will tell you if you're a match. Don't let the people in any forum tell you otherwise.

Thanks...and I know it's my decision that no one can make it for more. This was more thraputic than anything if that makes sense? I know it sounds crazy.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:30 PM   #7
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
I find the complaints about Nav hilarious.

you learn so much while your lost....

And really in a cruiser, where do you have to be?
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:31 PM   #8
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by full of days View Post
Go with the one that makes your heart swell... and do the math--->
kudo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post

Excellant response to a well thought out essay by the op... good job...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:31 PM   #9
hb35man

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Aqua Blue Metallic
My wife loves her Mustang....I love my Camaro.....geezz..could you imagine if we all had to drive Yugo's ?
hb35man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:31 PM   #10
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Buy which ever car you want. Personally I love the Mustangs and the Challengers, I just loved the Camaro more so that is what I purchased. I would love to own all 3, but am very fortunate I can afford any one of these great looking cars. I can tell you that I have drove the Mustang GT, and I have sat in the Challenger SRT8 (dealer was an ass and would not let me drive it), neither car gave me the same feeling that I had when I got my Camaro. I had not even seen a Camaro in real life, let alone sit in one or drive one. The first time I drove one was when I drove mine off of the lot.

I would suggest you drive the Camaro and the Mustang, you will be able to make a decision after you drive them both as to which one you want.

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:33 PM   #11
Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepWarz View Post
I find the complaints about Nav hilarious.

you learn so much while your lost....

And really in a cruiser, where do you have to be?

I know that from a purist perspective that Nav seems superficial, but I am a technophile, and this would be my daily driver. Could I live without Nav...sure but if I can have my cake and eat it to it's something you have to consider.

I by no means am saying the Nav will be my deciding factor. It will probably come down to who is offering the better financing, incentives, etc at the time.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:33 PM   #12
Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb35man View Post
My wife loves her Mustang....I love my Camaro.....geezz..could you imagine if we all had to drive Yugo's ?

LMAO
Old 01-23-2010, 10:35 PM   #13
trickortreat

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black, IOI
I'm neither a Ford nor a Chevy person. I like cars. I bought a 94 Mustang because I loved it. Great car until I crashed it driving like an idiot.

I saw the Camaro when it first appeared at the auto show and loved it. After a long wait, it was released and now I have one. When I had a Mustang, I got weird looks from Chevy "people". Now, I get the same from Ford "people". I appreciate the rivalry and I'm glad it's back to where it was when I was a teenager. However, while I appreciate the rivalry, i don't subscribe to it. It's a car. More specifically, it's an American car. To each his or her own. Get what you like and you can't go wrong.

Just remember, no matter which car you buy, there is always a Ford GT or Vette that's faster and a green car owner who will give you the most flack.
trickortreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:42 PM   #14
Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickortreat View Post
I'm neither a Ford nor a Chevy person. I like cars. I bought a 94 Mustang because I loved it. Great car until I crashed it driving like an idiot.

I saw the Camaro when it first appeared at the auto show and loved it. After a long wait, it was released and now I have one. When I had a Mustang, I got weird looks from Chevy "people". Now, I get the same from Ford "people". I appreciate the rivalry and I'm glad it's back to where it was when I was a teenager. However, while I appreciate the rivalry, i don't subscribe to it. It's a car. More specifically, it's an American car. To each his or her own. Get what you like and you can't go wrong.

Just remember, no matter which car you buy, there is always a Ford GT or Vette that's faster and a green car owner who will give you the most flack.

I can relate to being car guy...in fact I used to prefer the imports (mainly european) to anything America produced. and truth be told if money were no object I would still park a Ferrari in my garage, but after living in Detroit and seeing the the economy first hand...my lottery winnings would go to a CTS-V instead of an M5 or a MKS or STS instead of an S Class... a ZR1 or Viper instead of a Porsche...

I've still got to have the Ferrari F458 though!