Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-08-2010, 10:26 PM   #29
iflylow

Drives: 03 2500HD, 2SS/RS CGM, C-130H3
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Yes it can. Getting out right after driving it in cool weather isn't a good test. Imagine sitting at a stop light or in stop and go traffic. The intake is sitting there soaking up heat. All intakes do this but it's more pronounced on the metals ones. For the drag racers, imagine sitting in line to get ready. The intake is gonna be VERY hot and you'll have to launch your car with hot ass air and a tube that is radiating it's heat directly into your intake air. Heat is the reason virtually every CAI maker has a heatshield. Without the heatshield, a CAI would be worse than the stock setup.
Thanks Axis...I can see your point. For drag racers in Little Rock there can be a difference. For those of us who are a little more "average" in our daily driving the difference should be only slight. Still like the performance/looks of the BBK, maybe a summer trip to down IH40 will change my mind.
iflylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:44 PM   #30
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
The air is in the tube for such a short time while your moving it really doesn't matter. I can see how it could be a problem if you were parked on the freeway in 100*+ weather for 2 hours with out ever getting over 5 mph, but at that point, it would be no worse than the stock airbox and your not worried about performance at 5 mph anyway.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:11 AM   #31
ddunerider
So-Cal Race team!!

Drives: Tahoe LTZ,2010 2SS/M6 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to ddunerider
OMG I just going to buy this thing ...It looks great !!!

Last edited by ddunerider; 03-09-2010 at 05:51 PM.
ddunerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:06 PM   #32
Bogey99

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black M6
Over the radiator is the way to go, dont waste money on one of these. Only reason I say is beacause the K&N typhoon is the exact same design and is good for almost no power (I have one). Sound yes, throttle response yes. Its not taking cold air and the 90 bend is the problem. ONly reason I post this is because I tested it myself. You can see the results in my "K&N intake and tune results" thread. Not trying to rain on parades here, just trying to share info.
Bogey99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:36 PM   #33
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey99 View Post
Over the radiator is the way to go, dont waste money on one of these. Only reason I say is beacause the K&N typhoon is the exact same design and is good for almost no power (I have one). Sound yes, throttle response yes. Its not taking cold air and the 90 bend is the problem. ONly reason I post this is because I tested it myself. You can see the results in my "K&N intake and tune results" thread. Not trying to rain on parades here, just trying to share info.
Don't throw EVERY CAI that draws it's air from the OEM location, together. There are some big differences between them and the Typhoon. Some of them are PROVEN to gain 10-20whp and the same tq. While I can understand your likeing of the OTR's, there are some concessions you have to make when using them. Make sure you know what you're getting into before you buy.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:15 PM   #34
Bogey99

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Don't throw EVERY CAI that draws it's air from the OEM location, together. There are some big differences between them and the Typhoon. Some of them are PROVEN to gain 10-20whp and the same tq. While I can understand your likeing of the OTR's, there are some concessions you have to make when using them. Make sure you know what you're getting into before you buy.
I didnt throw every CAI that draws air from the OEM location together. I compaired the K&N to this particular BBK design seeing since they are almost identical in set up. Now, if you believe that the BBK has something that the K&N does not, such as a lamp with a magic genie that gives you 10-20 RWHP then thats one thing. All said was this intake is the same setup as the K&N and the K&N makes no power. I agree with looking into each design before buying ie. having to move parts and tuning requirements.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69521
Old 03-09-2010, 10:23 PM   #35
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Just because 2 parts are similar, doesn't mean that they are identical. You can have 2 tubes of similar size and have different air flow through each of them. You have to look at the total package, not just the basic design. You don't think the OTR CAI's get heat? What material is inside the tubes to increase air flow? What is the radius of the bends? Which filter is the air coming through? I know another CAI company that went through several different sizes of filter and each of them played a huge role in the hp/tq seen on the dyno.

This is a video of a 2010 Camaro with BBK's CAI. It is the same dyno that we (So Cal Camaro5 guys/gals) just used on the 27th of February when we did a tour and dyno day at their facility. Say what you want about the K&N, but this SHOWS that there is something to be had from adding BBK's CAI.

http://www.bbkperformance.com/news_item.php?nak=41
Old 03-09-2010, 10:53 PM   #36
TripleB
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2017 2LT Hyper Blue Metallic Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroSS View Post
How bout $234 for the BBK lol hahaha but yeah i installed mine too its easy and definitely makes a difference in performance and looks! I am concerned about heat soak so HIGH TEMP POWDERCOATING HERE I COME!!!!
how much? david was gonna call that place in redondo up and i haven't heard back from him yet.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:06 AM   #37
Bogey99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
Just because 2 parts are similar, doesn't mean that they are identical. You can have 2 tubes of similar size and have different air flow through each of them. You have to look at the total package, not just the basic design. You don't think the OTR CAI's get heat? What material is inside the tubes to increase air flow? What is the radius of the bends? Which filter is the air coming through? I know another CAI company that went through several different sizes of filter and each of them played a huge role in the hp/tq seen on the dyno.

This is a video of a 2010 Camaro with BBK's CAI. It is the same dyno that we (So Cal Camaro5 guys/gals) just used on the 27th of February when we did a tour and dyno day at their facility. Say what you want about the K&N, but this SHOWS that there is something to be had from adding BBK's CAI.

http://www.bbkperformance.com/news_item.php?nak=41
Yea, BRAVO, nice dyno pull with the hood of the car open. Im sure that intake is just lovin the cool air that fan is blowin on it. Look, get real. I love how theres always a joe thats gotta be the devils advocate. I reccomend that anyone in this forum that has question as to what intake to use, contact a reputable tuner anywhere!!! Any LSX tuner will give you good info. The call is free, dont waste your money just yet.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:32 AM   #38
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey99 View Post
I didnt throw every CAI that draws air from the OEM location together. I compaired the K&N to this particular BBK design seeing since they are almost identical in set up. Now, if you believe that the BBK has something that the K&N does not, such as a lamp with a magic genie that gives you 10-20 RWHP then thats one thing. All said was this intake is the same setup as the K&N and the K&N makes no power. I agree with looking into each design before buying ie. having to move parts and tuning requirements.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69521

Sorry, I took your response that said "one of these" to mean one of the OEM location CAI's.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:35 AM   #39
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you Bogey.

If you really feel like playing the hood open vs. hood closed card. There's no fan blowing on that dyno. I dynoed there on the 26th, and then two weeks later dyno'ed up here in the bay area with 2 snails blowing air in and got the same numbers within 3 hp and 4 tq. The dyno runs up here were with the hood closed with fans blowing on it, while the dyno in SD had no fans. After seeing both dyno runs that close in numbers, I don't believe this whole hood open/closed mumbo jumbo. Same with the fans. I don't even have a CAI.

I do however agree with you about calling around. Then again the only real way to tell would be to have the same exact car line up and make a run/lap on (insert track here), and then swap the intakes, then have the same robotic driver take the same car out under the same conditions and drive the same exact way to compare apples to apples.

Personally I like OTR from a specific company, but the "CAI" intakes are all very different and the materials do make a difference. See Jannetty's CAI testing results. Not everyone had CAI's done at that time, but you can see a vast range of results from these so called "Same exact" units.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:30 AM   #40
Bogey99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you Bogey.

If you really feel like playing the hood open vs. hood closed card. There's no fan blowing on that dyno. I dynoed there on the 26th, and then two weeks later dyno'ed up here in the bay area with 2 snails blowing air in and got the same numbers within 3 hp and 4 tq. The dyno runs up here were with the hood closed with fans blowing on it, while the dyno in SD had no fans. After seeing both dyno runs that close in numbers, I don't believe this whole hood open/closed mumbo jumbo. Same with the fans. I don't even have a CAI.

I do however agree with you about calling around. Then again the only real way to tell would be to have the same exact car line up and make a run/lap on (insert track here), and then swap the intakes, then have the same robotic driver take the same car out under the same conditions and drive the same exact way to compare apples to apples.

Personally I like OTR from a specific company, but the "CAI" intakes are all very different and the materials do make a difference. See Jannetty's CAI testing results. Not everyone had CAI's done at that time, but you can see a vast range of results from these so called "Same exact" units.
Your proving my point, the factory unit doesnt pull air from the engine bay regardless of the hood being open or closed. The air box is closed so the fact that your results were within 3 to 4 hp would make sense. The cold air intakes with an open air filter in the engine bay will draw air from inside the engine compartment, so yes, having the hood open and having it closed makes an obvious difference.

I dont disagree that different cars under diffrent conditions wont change the numbers slightly but im talking about making ZERO power and the manufacturar's claims of 15 to 20 RWHP. I dont care what car under what conditions, these particular intakes (as of now I can only vouch for my self testing if the K&N) will not produce these numbers. I respect your findings and input but you have not tested any of these.

AXIS I belive that the intakes that fit in the OEM location with an enclosed box would produce some diffrent numbers. I would like to see someone provide some DYNO results.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:06 AM   #41
ddunerider
So-Cal Race team!!

Drives: Tahoe LTZ,2010 2SS/M6 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to ddunerider
Its gona look and sound good !!! Im not raceing it ...yet.
BBK orderd !!! It should be here thursday!!!
Old 03-14-2010, 11:52 PM   #42
TripleB
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2017 2LT Hyper Blue Metallic Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddunerider View Post
Its gona look and sound good !!! Im not raceing it ...yet.
BBK orderd !!! It should be here thursday!!!
excellent! post up some pics when you get it installed!