Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 03-31-2010, 11:21 AM   #1
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
Noob with Tech2 tool... anybody with knowledge

I have access to a tech2 tool that reads and clears codes and whatnot. I was also told that that is the same tool that would be used to reprogram my radio once the PDIM was added and the BCM once my steering wheel controls get added. Does anybody have any knowledge on how those procedures would be done and what files would have to be downloaded and added to the tech2 tool? That would save about $100 and time spent at the dealership.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:27 AM   #2
thiggin2

Drives: 05/07 Chevy's
Well the Camaro uses GDS which you need the MDI to diag and program them. I have heard of people using the Tech2 on Camaros but not sure how much you can do with it as you will have to select a different veh because the tech2 (with gm software) doesn't even list the Camaro.
thiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:18 PM   #3
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

That is correct, I didn't see the camaro in there. I had to go into the Y body section to find the 6.2L engine so I could clear a couple codes yesterday. I was just going off of what the garage guys I work with told me as far as using the Tech2 to reflash my radio and BCM. It did work to clear the codes so figured they were right on the other stuff. They didn't know specifics so figured I'd check on here and see if anybody had any more detailed info to do this. It may just be worth the $100 for the shop to do it.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:08 AM   #4
jnd14401

Drives: black automatic 1ss #182,771
my car is in the shop right getting 16 codes cleared big issue dont ask but none the less the 2010 camaro and equinox need the tech tool and a gm laptop w/a program that works in conjunction with the tech tool to clear codes and and reprogram certain things. next year all gm models will need the the lap top as well.
jnd14401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:34 AM   #5
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

I was able to clear the codes yesterday with just the tech tool. I believe you on the reprogramming though. I'll do a little more research around here and see what I can come up with as far as getting this done in house. Will update if I get more info.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:06 PM   #6
Gatecrasher
User

Drives: 1994 Stealth R/T Turbo
I used to work for GM Techline. That's the group that supports the dealership technicians for all matters regarding module replacement and reprogramming. I left before the Camaro was launched, but the MDI tool had just come out.

You won't be able to do much without a subscription or access to GM's Global Connect system. The old Tech2 stuff can do some limited code clearing since you can build the car as an older Corvette and possibly as an 08 CTS for the V6 engine. You really need the MDI to do anything with the newer cars. Even if you get ahold of an MDI tool, it's pretty much useless without the GM software and more importantly the subscription to download the updates and diagnostic routines for the car.

It's probably not what you wanted to hear, but maybe it'll save you some hassles in your search.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:06 PM   #7
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

I appreciate your reply Gatecrasher. I could probably get one of the engineers at work to download the ncessary updates and diag routines but, it's probably more hassle than what it's worth. I'll just pay the extra $$$ and have a service center take care of the updates for me.

Thanks everybody for their replies.