Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-20-2008, 10:28 PM   #1
Evilangel

Drives: 2003 Evo(450hp) , 95 CamaroZ28
V6 Swap

Hi, first I'd like to thank everyone for keping the faith. I've been viewing this site for a year but didn't want to join until I was 100% sure I would be a buying 2010 camaro. Anyways I've been toying with an idea but wanted your opinion. If I were to buy the V6 maro and use it as a daily driver until it's paid off (let's say in 5 years) , could I then convert it to drag strip use by swapping out the motor for a small block V8? I'd like to buy the LS3 or L99 now however if I trade in my Evo(which I'l have to) I'm going to need a winter car and I probably couldn't afford the payment + insurance for the SS and another vehicle (yup I'm married ). Having said that I know that after awhile I'll miss my 11 second car and will want to mod my car.Thanks in advance for your input.
Evilangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:30 PM   #2
ucla1ove3

Drives: soon to be 2010 CAMARO :]
i remember reading this asked a while back and someone said you would probably have to change out the suspension and some other stuff as well and it would end up costing you more than just outright buying the SS. but iono
ucla1ove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:07 PM   #3
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
You need to buy the SS if you want to race with it.. Don't even bother with the V6 as you would need to change out a lot and as ucla above posted, it will end up costing you more in the long run..
Old 10-21-2008, 03:52 AM   #4
Evilangel

Thanks for your replies. I understand that the SS is the ideal platform drag out of the 2. However I'm still curious about what it would take to do the swap as I feel I'm going to need the better gas mileage until the car is paid off, then I would be able to go from there.Also I would like to swap something besides the ls3 just to be different, perhaps a 350?
Old 10-21-2008, 04:08 AM   #5
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilangel View Post
Thanks for your replies. I understand that the SS is the ideal platform drag out of the 2. However I'm still curious about what it would take to do the swap as I feel I'm going to need the better gas mileage until the car is paid off, then I would be able to go from there.Also I would like to swap something besides the ls3 just to be different, perhaps a 350?
one thing to think about if you were thinking about a SBC is that many states make it illegal to put a motor in a car that is older then the car. so you have to buy a new block SBC for it to be legal.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:17 AM   #6
Evilangel

Wow headpunter, I wasn't aware of that. I guess that I'll have to swap in an LS7 then. Just kidding. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:38 AM   #7
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
doesnt mean you cant do it, just means you need a block with a current Time stamp on it, they still make new SBC blocks.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:32 AM   #8
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Why not just drive and enjoy the car you can afford now and buy a nice used SS in a few years. This way you get the transportation you need now, and then you can have your v8 once they are a few years old and much more affordable. You will wish you had all the extra's from the SS, suspension, trans, brakes, etc if you try and drop in a v8.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:30 PM   #9
Evilangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
Why not just drive and enjoy the car you can afford now and buy a nice used SS in a few years. This way you get the transportation you need now, and then you can have your v8 once they are a few years old and much more affordable. You will wish you had all the extra's from the SS, suspension, trans, brakes, etc if you try and drop in a v8.
I guess you're right, this would probably be the way to go.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:21 PM   #10
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Good advice.

I'm familiar with this thought line on bimmeforums...guys trying to convert their 3 series to M3's...there's just too much to do and it winds up being cheaper to buy the car you're trying to duplicate.
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:41 PM   #11
baileyrx

Drives: 2003 g35
Quote:

i was just thinking the same thing...
baileyrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:54 PM   #12
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
In the old days of Camaros (pre fuel injection, so early 3rd gen and before), it really was a piece of cake for any shade tree back yard mechanic with a good set of wrenches, a couple of buddies, a cherry picker, a nice Saturday, and a few beers to take out the 6 cylinder and put in a 305 or 350. Maybe take out the 3 speed automatic and throw in a 4 speed stick while your at it. At the same time, as far as the insurance company was concerned you still had the six cylinder under the hood.

But today, no way. You couldn't swap out the LLT for the LS3 if you wanted to. So much is integrated and engineered for each different engine in each different car, the cars are actually engineered specifically with the engine that's going into them in mind. All the electronics and computer controls, etc, makes it impossible physically and financially.

Last edited by fastball; 10-21-2008 at 09:45 PM.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote