Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-21-2010, 10:54 PM   #1
nusong

Drives: 2010 2LT RJT Auto - Camaro/2004 Sub
Cooling System problem?

This evening a friend said he has been considering buying a Camaro. His son told him today to be careful..................because he just heard there is a cooling system problem.............overheating on long trips.

Is anyone here aware of such an issue?
nusong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:43 PM   #2
wullger
Supercharged

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Think they're referring to an old TSB on a certain range (somewhere in the 15000-30000ish) VIN# of 2010s. You take it into the dealer to have some software updates done.

Appearance Mods:
Heritage Grille, ZL1 Replica Wheels
Performance Mods:
Flowmaster ARH Cat-Back Exhaust, ADM CAI, ADM L99-LS3 Conversion, ADM LSA Supercharger Kit, Lingenfelter GT9 Cam, Stainless Power Headers, Detroit Speed Sway Bars, ZL1 Fuel Pump

581 rwhp/535 lb/ft tq
wullger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:29 AM   #3
scott53

Drives: '19 Camaro 2SS, '12 GMC Yukon
Two weeks ago I drove my 1LT/RS from SW PA to Fuquay-Varina, NC in one day (9 hours). It was 93 degrees in NC and the last part of the trip was in heavy traffic. I experienced NO overheating.
scott53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:34 AM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Lots of people made LONG trips to Camero Fest.......5 people from our club.....none of them had any issues.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:55 AM   #5
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
I was gonna say, we just had several hundred Camaros make the trek to Valdosta from all over the country and I hadn't heard of anyone having cooling issues...
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:06 PM   #6
SonnyakaPig

Drives: C63 P31
I just had a Vortech V-3 Si supercharger installed on my 1SS L99 and my car is having a very bad heat problem. If I make one little WOT run, my coolant temp will reach beyond 220 degrees F. That means my engine oil temp is getting near 250 degrees F.

When I'm driving long distances my car does not have any problem with heat. But as soon as I come to a stop my car's coolant temp goes through the roof.

I'm constantly worrying that my engine will get damaged, so I stop and turn my car off.

I wish I knew what to do. Anyways, I'm having heating problems but I'm sure the supercharger is the cause. Still, it's questionable because plenty of others have blowers and they don't have any heat issues.
SonnyakaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:40 AM   #7
Cam 427

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig View Post
I just had a Vortech V-3 Si supercharger installed on my 1SS L99 and my car is having a very bad heat problem. If I make one little WOT run, my coolant temp will reach beyond 220 degrees F. That means my engine oil temp is getting near 250 degrees F.

When I'm driving long distances my car does not have any problem with heat. But as soon as I come to a stop my car's coolant temp goes through the roof.

I'm constantly worrying that my engine will get damaged, so I stop and turn my car off.

I wish I knew what to do. Anyways, I'm having heating problems but I'm sure the supercharger is the cause. Still, it's questionable because plenty of others have blowers and they don't have any heat issues.
Are both of the radiator fans coming on? I assume your oil and coolant levels are good..?
Cam 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:39 PM   #8
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
Thermostat stuck closed?
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:56 AM   #9
lbheat
Echale Gas [COTW 3/10/14]

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS Supercharged
Please advise on this. I should have seen this forum before I bought the car :(

Very bad to know after just buying the car :(

BTW I bought SonnyakaPig car (he didnt sell it to me it was a dealer after he traded it in), I was not having these problems at all the first 2-3 days but after driving a bit further I have the same issues. This is the price I have to pay for buying a used car :/

Kenne Bell
502 rwhp/ 471 rwtq at 9psi (daily driver...for now)
Performance: Corsa catback, JRE Super Tensioner, dual pass heat exchanger, R1 slotted & Dimpled rotors cryogenically treated
Cosmetic: Giovanna kilis 22", zl1 mailslot bumper, Custom Emblem Pro Badge, painted calipers
lbheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:36 AM   #10
Sc0rPs

Drives: 2010 2LT / RS - 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbheat View Post
Please advise on this. I should have seen this forum before I bought the car :(

Very bad to know after just buying the car :(

BTW I bought SonnyakaPig car (he didnt sell it to me it was a dealer after he traded it in), I was not having these problems at all the first 2-3 days but after driving a bit further I have the same issues. This is the price I have to pay for buying a used car :/
I disagree, my Camaro is my first new car I ever purchased. The other 4 were all used and not a problem except for the Toyota which had a rattle and got fixed by the dealer at no cost.

Your ride is still covered with warranty isn't it?
Sc0rPs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:42 AM   #11
lbheat
Echale Gas [COTW 3/10/14]

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS Supercharged
Well it would be if it didn't have a supercharger in it. What I'm saying is that buying a used car can be a gamble, and currently im losing.

Hopefully this fix will not be too costly.

Kenne Bell
502 rwhp/ 471 rwtq at 9psi (daily driver...for now)
Performance: Corsa catback, JRE Super Tensioner, dual pass heat exchanger, R1 slotted & Dimpled rotors cryogenically treated
Cosmetic: Giovanna kilis 22", zl1 mailslot bumper, Custom Emblem Pro Badge, painted calipers
lbheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:13 PM   #12
SonnyakaPig

Drives: C63 P31
Quote:
Well it would be if it didn't have a supercharger in it. What I'm saying is that buying a used car can be a gamble, and currently im losing.

I wrote the above post about my car having heating issues when 1. it had a Vortech supercharger that was not tuned correctly and had a stock thermostat; and 2. when I had less knowledge about the LS3/L99's.

For example, I thought engine coolant temps of 220* F was dangerous. It's not -- not even close.

When I removed the Vortech supercharger (installed and removed by Vortech so it was in good hands) the car stopped running as hot. And when I installed the Kenne Bell which comes with a lower temp T-stat, the engine coolant temp actually ran cooler than stock.

I'm very sorry that your car is overheating. I made numerous 4 hour trips through 105+ degree heat with air conditioning blasting and never overheated.

I was paranoid before and that's why I would shut the car off when the Engine Coolant Temp would get over 220* F.

The strange thing with your experience is that your engine coolant guage with the dial is actually at it's max (hottest) and I don't remember ever seeing the deal go much past the middle mark. And I checked it a lot.

You should take it to the dealer and see what they say. If the car needs to be tuned, that's not that much.
SonnyakaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:26 PM   #13
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
No issues here with overheating. Lots of extended trips this summer.
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:58 PM   #14
Sc0rPs

Drives: 2010 2LT / RS - 2013 ZL1
Quote:

You just bought your car and was the supercharger put in after? You can still take it back to the dealer if it came like that for a fix within a month or two I believe...

In any case good luck and keep us updated!
Sc0rPs is offline   Reply With Quote