Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 06-09-2010, 08:39 PM   #1
HaZe_X

Drives: Trailblazer SS & Camaro SS
Service stabilitrak--Bad battery?

The past few days Ive been getting "Service stabilitrak" upon startup, then once the car is fully started the message went away. Not to mention every time I get in the car my compass either says "Cal' or "---", or sometimes I have to re-index the windows the next morning upon starting the car.

Could the battery be bad already? If it is what kind of battery should I be replacing it with, Optima yellow top?

Mods are in signature.

Thanks
Old 06-09-2010, 08:49 PM   #2
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
I've had service stalilitrak come up twice, both times when the car didn't crank when I turned the key, then it went away
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:52 PM   #3
HaZe_X

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljustin293 View Post
I've had service stalilitrak come up twice, both times when the car didn't crank when I turned the key, then it went away
at least Im not the only one..lol. Mine is usually never hard to start, although tonight it was. Only reason Im thinking battery is because for the past few weeks Ive been having the window index problems, keeps telling me I have 2 fobs programmed every time.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:23 PM   #4
HaZe_X

Maybe Im having these issue because my battery went completely dead a few months back?

If I decide to get a yellow top, can anyone tell me what kind I need and if I will need to make any modifications..
Old 06-10-2010, 10:50 AM   #5
HaZe_X

bumpp
Old 06-10-2010, 10:57 AM   #6
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I have experienced this once, but it hasn't come back since. It read "Service Stabilitrak." The Stabilitrak worked fine after startup, and I haven't looked back.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:29 AM   #7
HaZe_X

I assume mine works fine after startup, no lights on the dash.

So can anyone tell me what Yellow top I need?
Old 06-10-2010, 04:47 PM   #8
HaZe_X

I'm probably just rambling to myself here, but hey what the hell.

So I just get back from a 30 min drive, battery is registering 14.70 volts at idle, so alternator is charging. Go in the house come out 15 minutes later, check the battery its at 11.03 volts (car is not started), simply roll down the window and im at 10.98 volts. So obviously the car wont start now. If I try to start it the battery drops to 4.xx volts during the starting process and returns to 10.5x volts.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:23 PM   #9
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Have you taken it to the dealer? I assume the battery is covered - not sure how long you have the car...

Sure sounds like the battery!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:42 PM   #10
Hebe4

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS M6
You have a dead cell. Dealer will replace the battery.
Hebe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:11 PM   #11
SonnyakaPig

Drives: C63 P31
My battery usually reads 14.7, but when I drive around a little bit, it usually drops to 13.7. And last weekend when I was driving all over the freeway, with the air conditioning on full power, it dropped to like 12.5. Could I have a dead cell? Wondering if I should take it into the dealer.
SonnyakaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:25 PM   #12
HaZe_X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
Have you taken it to the dealer? I assume the battery is covered - not sure how long you have the car...

Sure sounds like the battery!
Yes I have, they told me it started fine for them, well of course it did, you tried to start it right after I pulled in. Needless to say I got no where! I had the car since December 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebe4 View Post
You have a dead cell. Dealer will replace the battery.
I figured something like that, but I know zilch about batterys! Dont really want another AC Delco battery, I was looking to upgrade to an optima anyway, but I dont have a clue on what one I need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig View Post
My battery usually reads 14.7, but when I drive around a little bit, it usually drops to 13.7. And last weekend when I was driving all over the freeway, with the air conditioning on full power, it dropped to like 12.5. Could I have a dead cell? Wondering if I should take it into the dealer.
13-14 volts sounds good to me. I would think the alternator would keep it at a constant 13-14 volts while running.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:58 PM   #13
SonnyakaPig

Drives: C63 P31
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaZe_X View Post
Yes I have, they told me it started fine for them, well of course it did, you tried to start it right after I pulled in. Needless to say I got no where! I had the car since December 09

I figured something like that, but I know zilch about batterys! Dont really want another AC Delco battery, I was looking to upgrade to an optima anyway, but I dont have a clue on what one I need.

13-14 volts sounds good to me. I would think the alternator would keep it at a constant 13-14 volts while running.
I was just looking in another thread and it showed that there is a section in the owner's manual that explains that the PCM will regulate when the alternator does its thing and that the battery will fluctuate for various reasons.

My concern is that I have a Kenne Bell blower. On their site they explain that you should never run 8psi of boost when the voltage is below 13.5. And because our cars regulate themselves in terms of volatage, I could potentially mash the gas when my volts are lower than 13.5 and according to KB, that's a problem.

So, I'm going to find out a little more about this issue.
SonnyakaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:08 PM   #14
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
They must have a battery tester that will show a dead cell. If not, drive to the dealer, let it sit with EVERYTHING on for 30 minutes, then tell service you're there...

Kill it first before going in!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote