Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-16-2010, 04:57 AM   #43
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducq View Post
You're speaking from experience with ford engines right?
no, actually, from my old LSx Camaro and LT1 Caprice funny guy. And a few other LSx friends. But, yes, fords are no different.

actually, i know a few Fremont officers. I'm sure the police chief wouldn't like to hear about some kid bragging about banging his daughter and having the chief in his back pocket when it comes to bailing him out of trouble.

Last edited by THE EVIL TW1N; 06-16-2010 at 05:08 AM.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:37 AM   #44
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
it's not just RPM's that kill engines, it's the load that is put on them. going to 4,000 or 5,000 rpm might not be too much, but if you are going WOT to get there consistantly, then that is putting a pretty good load on the engine... which ultimately will result in wear and tear.

Like i said, they are not bulletproof. Nothing is. I would not expect them to live any longer than any other abused engine.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:45 AM   #45
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
If I wanted to drive like Granny Clampett, I would have gotten a Prius. These cars are designed to be driven hard. That is why they have 6 bolt main bearings and other features added for durability. Reving the car to red line will not hurt it. What truly will hurt it is "lugging" it. That is being in too high of a gear at lower RPM's, this beats the crap out of the bearings and will shorten engine life. Mine is an A6, if it were an M6, the first mod that I would make would be to get rid of the skip shift.
HDDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:00 AM   #46
Tee304

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro Rally Yellow 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSARMY View Post
For gods sake, it's a damn car. It's made to be driven to the fullest. Do you think Chevy is like Nissan and will put stuff in their car that's NOT meant to be used and break.

No you're doing no harm. Drive her hard. You have a 100k warranty. If something breaks it gets fixed. Simple.

You live once. I hate people who get fast cars and drive 10 under the speed limit. Just buy a damn prius if you're not going to use the car.

And yes, my girlfriend LOVES my car!

#7741 - RY 2SS w/black rally stripes - picked up on 5/28/2009
Tee304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:01 AM   #47
Tee304

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro Rally Yellow 2SS
Drive it like you stole it!!!! Otherwise, just pick it up and run with it! Like Fred Flintstone. That car (as a proud owner of a 2SS) was made to be driven.........HOWEVER, DO THE REGULAR MAINTENANCE AND GET FULL SYNTHETIC OIL CHANGES.

And yes, my girlfriend LOVES my car!

#7741 - RY 2SS w/black rally stripes - picked up on 5/28/2009
Tee304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:14 AM   #48
CloudXTC

Drives: 1LT|RS|SIM|M6|BA Stereo
so far so good... 50% drive it easy... 50% drive it hard....

1LT | RS | M6 | SIM | BA Stereo
1000 - [07-23-2009] Order Made at dealer
1100 - [08-04-2009] Preliminary order accepted
2000 - [08-25-2009] Accepted by GM
3000 - [09-01-2009] Accepted by production control TPW = 10-05-2009
3300 - [09-28-2009] Scheduled for production
3400 - [10-01-2009] Broadcast - Being Built
3800 - [10-13-2009] Produced - Built- VIN 2G1xxx54917
4200 - [10-19-2009] Shipped
5000 - [10-19-2009] Delivered to the dealer
6000 - [10-20-2009] Delivered to the customer

CloudXTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:48 AM   #49
5thGenOwner

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
it's not just RPM's that kill engines, it's the load that is put on them. going to 4,000 or 5,000 rpm might not be too much, but if you are going WOT to get there consistantly, then that is putting a pretty good load on the engine... which ultimately will result in wear and tear.

Like i said, they are not bulletproof. Nothing is. I would not expect them to live any longer than any other abused engine.
You usually make legitamite points, and I'll give you the "abuse of anything is not good". But once again, you completely missed THE POINT... just to make your own point.

Do this... go get yourself a Honda Accord, or any basic sedan or coupe not considered a "performance car". Then take a Camaro and abuse them both in the same manner. Which do you think will outlast the other?? (it's not a coin flip... as you would like everyone to believe)

They don't just slap the word performance on these cars because it sells... it actually means something! And for someone, like you, with sooo much experience with performance cars... you should know this.

You drive your way... I'll drive mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
Spike , c'mon... :troll:
Old 06-16-2010, 09:57 AM   #50
SiNFuLL
SS Chick

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to SiNFuLL
I drive mine like I stole it everytime I'm behind the wheel, same way I done my WS6 and I had it for 10 years and it had 129k on it when I traded it. I didn't even had the "using oil" issue most LSx's are known for. To each their own though.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:03 AM   #51
AmericanMuscle4.6GT

Drives: 2005 Mustang GT M5
the reason GM put so many electronic nannies on this car is to make it tough and so it can easily stand up to any sort of driving. i'm sure the stock tune is pig rich, and we all know how it even starts to pull timing when the IAT gets too hot. you may think you're pushing it to it's physical limits of durability, but in reality you're not even close. just make sure you're 100% warmed up first, and change the oil often (especially early in the life of the car) to be safe.

its a car, but like my dad always says, when it comes down to it its just a depreciating piece of junk metal. its not a person, it can be fixed..........drive it and ENJOY IT. i hate these people that tell me i should take it easy on my car because "one day it might be a collectable." f*** that. i bought my car (at great cost to me at the age i bought it) because i love the sound of a snarling V8, i love rowing gears, and i love driving the car hard because there are few things that give such complete visceral satisfaction. i look forward to the drive home, where i can cruise home with the windows open, just listening to the sound of that motor as i squeeze the throttle a bit liberally and let the rpm's wind out.

yea, my synchros are gonna wear out sooner (really soon, in fact). yea, i'm on my 3rd set of tires at 45k miles (not including my slicks). yea, i get 8 mpg around town and i'm probably going to have to get an engine rebuild at 115k miles.

but you know what? best f***ing 115k miles of my life.

AmericanMuscle4.6GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:06 AM   #52
5thGenOwner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanMuscle4.6GT View Post
the reason GM put so many electronic nannies on this car is to make it tough and so it can easily stand up to any sort of driving. i'm sure the stock tune is pig rich, and we all know how it even starts to pull timing when the IAT gets too hot. you may think you're pushing it to it's physical limits of durability, but in reality you're not even close. just make sure you're 100% warmed up first, and change the oil often (especially early in the life of the car) to be safe.

its a car, but like my dad always says, when it comes down to it its just a depreciating piece of junk metal. its not a person, it can be fixed..........drive it and ENJOY IT. i hate these people that tell me i should take it easy on my car because "one day it might be a collectable." f*** that. i bought my car (at great cost to me at the age i bought it) because i love the sound of a snarling V8, i love rowing gears, and i love driving the car hard because there are few things that give such complete visceral satisfaction.
Very well put. Enough nannies on the car already... we don't need 'em on this site too!
Old 06-16-2010, 10:41 AM   #53
VTXrider

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudXTC View Post
so far so good... 50% drive it easy... 50% drive it hard....
So far I hear not one person saying they drive their car easy.

I hear people who say driving the car all out and "drive it like you stole it" will not affect the car/engine in any way; these people are delusional or they have a different definition of drive it like you stole it than I do.

The other group of people understand that the way they drive their cars will reduce the total life of their cars; all the second group has said is to understand the affects of driving the car hard. Not one person has said running the car will destroy it or anything to that effect.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:30 AM   #54
5thGenOwner

Online misunderstanding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTXrider View Post
So far I hear not one person saying they drive their car easy.

I hear people who say driving the car all out and "drive it like you stole it" will not affect the car/engine in any way; these people are delusional or they have a different definition of drive it like you stole it than I do.

I don't believe you read very thoroughly, because most (if not all) acknowledge that driving it hard will possibly reduce the life of your automobile. Maybe you couldn't see past the "drive it like I stole it" line... but you should really go back and read their full posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTXrider View Post
The other group of people understand that the way they drive their cars will reduce the total life of their cars; all the second group has said is to understand the affects of driving the car hard. Not one person has said running the car will destroy it or anything to that effect.

Maybe this is just one of those Online Misunderstandings? As I mentioned, both sides have acknowledged that wear-n-tear is... wear-n-tear.

The fact is... this car was built with performance in mind, and therefore it should go through much more rigorous performance testing. Do you believe they put the Corvette through the same tests they put the Malibu through? (I don't know the answer, but I sure hope for GM's sake that they don't.)
Old 06-16-2010, 11:40 AM   #55
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
ya i do.... just got out of high school..... 18 years old.....
That was my point- By your response I could tell you were a kid.
myold88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:55 AM   #56
ducq

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS LS3 blck w/ IOM
Quote:
no, actually, from my old LSx Camaro and LT1 Caprice funny guy. And a few other LSx friends. But, yes, fords are no different.

actually, i know a few Fremont officers. I'm sure the police chief wouldn't like to hear about some kid bragging about banging his daughter and having the chief in his back pocket when it comes to bailing him out of trouble.
I'm gonna be nice, I live in Fremont, she does not. Go ahead try to snitch me out haha but let's keep things relevant to the topic guy

Last edited by ducq; 06-16-2010 at 12:19 PM.
ducq is offline   Reply With Quote