Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 01-28-2010, 09:02 AM   #1
MRKNJ

Drives: 45th Anniversary Convertible 2SS/RS
Angry Rally Stripe Issues and Warranty Issues

Anyone having issues with their stripes peeling, bubbles, etc. I took delivery on 15 Oct 2010. Not even a week later I noticed a bubble on my passenger side hood stripe while I was washing the car. It was smaller than a dime. I was intouch with the dealer/salesperson because my body color engine covers were not on the car when it was delivered. I infomred him of the bubble. He stated no problem we'll fix it (like he always states now). After the dealership finally got my engine covers in the week before Christmas (they came in damaged, go figure), I dropped it off overnight to have them installed and the stripes looked at. At this point the bubble had turned into a hole and the driver side stripe was begining to peel up in the front and a bad had started to form where the hood curves down from the center. I was told that a GM rep woould be called in and I would have to bring it back. A month later still no call so I contacted the dealer to follow up on and was told by the body shop manager, via voicemail, that GM would replace ONE stripe only and only this one time. He further explained that the hole was caused from a rock skipping arcoss the hood! He then further explained in this voicemail that GM is having issues with the stripes and that none of them are perfect and will never be. He then stated that it was up to me if i wanted them replaced and added that mine looked better than most that he had seen and were applied much better than his! Anyone else getting the run around about stripes? As I read thriugh these threads and see all of the common issues that everyone is having and the BS they are being told my their service depts, I am thinking a Class Action Lawsuit is in order here... I don;t know abuot you but $40,000 for a car that is not being backed by the manufacturer or dealer is a pretty serious thing to me. Anyone else? I kept the voicemail because he went in further detail about how they are not intalled properly and have to be heated and stretched and dirt gets under them, etc. etc. Thought a lawyer may like to hear it if this does not get resolved... I will be demanding a credit for the cost of the stipes and a refund from delivery... I will then have them paint the stipes on...
MRKNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:43 AM   #2
will69camaro

Drives: 1969 and 2010 Camaros
See about refund on stripes and get them painted. Worth the extra $$
will69camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:51 AM   #3
eynigush
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SSRS Rally Yellow
Lawsuit sounds good. These stripes are not going to last very long. I would much rather get refunded the money and have them painted on.

--Eddie
eynigush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:51 AM   #4
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
save the voicemail and demand they take care of the issue under warranty or a lawyer will be involved. The stuff he told you is purely BS. I know because I have stripes installed by the dealer and have seen at least 30 Camaros with the factory vinyl stripes and no issues. The problem is that person at the dealer (or sub-contract) did not install it properly and if the issue if from installation, GM does not have to re-imburse the dealer, dealer has to eat to cost. Obviously, your dealer doesn't want to lose money so he is giving feeding you BS.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:56 AM   #5
67 Convertible

Drives: 67 Camaro Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRKNJ View Post
I kept the voicemail because he went in further detail about how they are not intalled properly and have to be heated and stretched and dirt gets under them, etc. etc.
????? Heat should not be used to install these stripes! They are wet install. Keep the voice mail, he obviously doesn't know what he's talking about.
1100 - 4/28/09
2000 - 5/01/09
2500 - 5/05/09
3000 - 5/05/09
3300 - 5/30/09
3400 - 6/05/09
3800 - 6/18/09
4000 - 6/18/09
4B00 - 6/18/09
4200 - 6/22/09
5000 - 7/01/09
6000 - 7/01/09 It's Home!!
0000 - 7/14/11 Traded in with 24,000 miles. Currently 5th Gen less
67 Convertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:57 AM   #6
MRKNJ

Drives: 45th Anniversary Convertible 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
save the voicemail and demand they take care of the issue under warranty or a lawyer will be involved. The stuff he told you is purely BS. I know because I have stripes installed by the dealer and have seen at least 30 Camaros with the factory vinyl stripes and no issues. The problem is that person at the dealer (or sub-contract) did not install it properly and if the issue if from installation, GM does not have to re-imburse the dealer, dealer has to eat to cost. Obviously, your dealer doesn't want to lose money so he is giving feeding you BS.
The dealer has been going back and forth abuot who installed the stripes... First they claimed that they use a outside vender to install them and then body shop is claiming that they were GM installed. Now they are saying that they are unsure who installed them. Waiting to hear back from service dept. again today.
MRKNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:42 PM   #7
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRKNJ View Post
The dealer has been going back and forth abuot who installed the stripes... First they claimed that they use a outside vender to install them and then body shop is claiming that they were GM installed. Now they are saying that they are unsure who installed them. Waiting to hear back from service dept. again today.
My point exactly.

Doesn't matter who installed the stripes, dealer should fix the problem regardless and if they know the car came from the factory with stripes already installed, then they will get reimbursed. But if dealer installed them or hired someone to install them, then they eat the cost for both parts and labor and that is exactly what they are trying to weasle out of.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:26 AM   #8
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Sounds like your dealer is full of sht.

The only reason I could see a denial of warranty repair occuring is if there is an obvious witness mark in the paint below from an impact. Then they should be telling you get with your insurance company and they should be working out the repair through that route.

If they are hassling you over who installed them, that is 100% douchebaggery. If they weren't factory installed, I could understand the GM rep telling them it is the installers responsibility to resolve. But that doesn't mean leave the customer hanging. That means grabbing the nimrod installer by the ear and saying - here is your comeback, do it right this time.

I'd call the General Manager or Dealer Owner, and say - I don't care who installed them, it will be there on this date for you to resolve the issue.
You may want to remind your employees that a warranty covers "defects in material or workmanship" and debating a decal on a $30,000 purchase is moronic. If there is no mark in the hood from an impact. If it was clearly a bubble from poor installation, these douchebags better get their act together.

Call the 800 # to Chevrolet in your owners manual. Tell them you have already talked to dealership management, and you would like the case escalated to the zone rep.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:23 AM   #9
nascar14fan

Drives: 2010 Red 2SS/CGMStripes/RS/6sp
If I remember right the stripes were installed at the factory after oct 25th my car was right after that date and were factory installed look perfect no problems so far. And someone said it earlier they are a wet install just like signs on the side of a truck not heated on.
nascar14fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:05 PM   #10
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Wet install, no heat.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:59 AM   #11
2010 Bumblebee

Drives: Transformers Edition Camaro 2SS/RS
Stripe issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by eynigush View Post
Lawsuit sounds good. These stripes are not going to last very long. I would much rather get refunded the money and have them painted on.

--Eddie
Put me on the list and keep me informed..

Northern Massachusetts & Southern New Hampshire Camaro Club
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=127

The mother of all supercharger questions thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77958

My 2010 Camaro Review
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2025442#post2025442

2010 Transformer Edition Camaro L99 Auto
2010 Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
defective, peeling, stripes, warranty