Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-29-2010, 08:26 PM   #1
gahammerle

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6 Inferno Orange
Long tubes and CELs - help me understand

It seems like all the LTs eventually throw the CEL because the post-cat O2 sensor. From pics I've seen of some of the LTs, it looks like the pre-cat O2 sensor is in one of the tubes rather than in the collector or farther down-stream. Does this mean the pre-cat sensor is only sniffing 1/3 of the exhaust but the post-cat sensor is sniffing 100%? If the pre-cat sensor was moved to the collector or just before the cat, would that eliminate the CEL since both the sensors would then be sniffing 100%? Or does the O2 sensor measure a ratio rather than volume?

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/gahammerle
gahammerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:18 AM   #2
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gahammerle View Post
Does this mean the pre-cat sensor is only sniffing 1/3 of the exhaust but the post-cat sensor is sniffing 100%?
In theory, yes. Since it is only exposed to the first "percentage or fraction" of the system, then in theory, it can only report that information.

Quote:
If the pre-cat sensor was moved to the collector or just before the cat, would that eliminate the CEL since both the sensors would then be sniffing 100%?
No. There are perameters, or sets of numbers, that the two sensors' readings must fall into to prevent a CEL initiation. If the readings are out of the specifications set forth by the "engineers" at GM, then the trigger is sent to turn the condition on.

Quote:
Or does the O2 sensor measure a ratio rather than volume?
It actually reads differences in exhaust gas and the "reference air" and that is transduced into voltage for the system to measure and determine if it is within specifications mentioned above.

Clear as mud?? LOL... It takes some getting used to and people get paid more money than I'll ever see to make sure it's not simple to cheat or manipulate easily.

Hope this helps a little.
-Ivan @ Southwest Speed
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:05 PM   #3
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
My question then is how are some able to address it with the spacers? Is there a lot more power to be had with the long tubes verse the shorties?
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:45 PM   #4
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I don't know of anyone yet that can 100% say they cured the problem with 02 spaces on their LT setup. OUR BEE has been trying it out, but I'm pretty sure he got a CEL even with 2 spaces on each sensor. They seem to help though.

and yes, LTs will likely give you 75 to 100% (double) the power of a shorty setup. But then you get to deal with the CEL issue, and hope you can handle the new noise lol.