Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-13-2010, 12:22 AM   #1
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Injen, a dissapointment?

Hi Guys,

I just installed my Injen on my Camaro today. First and foremost, the sound is excellent.

However, I must say I am dissapointed. Hearing so many of you guys saying you felt a difference right after the install... I did feel a difference, but a bad one. First off, it feels like I lost a lot more power. Both low end and high end power... I was on the highway, driving at 80MPH getting it to 100MPH took so much longer than my stock, AND Pushed the RPMs close to redline without any extra speed. Also, I hear a high pitch whining when I drive faster. I'm afraid I didn't tighten something enough... I'll double check tomorrow. So I lost Low end torque... and high end power.

Am I the only one? Todays temperature was dry, 70 degrees. I feel like Im the black sheep here guys... I think im the only one that is disapointed at the injen.

Please give me some good news... is it just because it is brand new? Would working it in help?

Let me hear your stories and advice please... otherwise I'm just super sad right now =(
Old 08-13-2010, 12:33 AM   #2
Amenti

Drives: 2017 1SS Convertible
Hmm, I can't say that I share your disappointment. Mine definitely pulls harder in the 3000-5000 RPM range in 3rd and 4th. I can't say that I've ever redlined it on hard acceleration.

I don't know man. Could there possibly be something wrong with your MAF Sensor? Were there any mishaps during installation?

There is a whistling sound from the Injen during moderate acceleration (for me), but it's a result of the air pulling through the filter, not a leak or anything of that nature. I hear most CAI's have some sort of sucking or whistling sound. I am definitely not feeling a performance loss.
Amenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:51 AM   #3
squatin0n18s

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS A6 Camaro
The noise you're hearing is common I'm pretty sure and that sucks that you're not satisfied man, it doesn't get any better really...
squatin0n18s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:06 AM   #4
camaro guy

Drives: 2010 camaro LS
double check your connections. rubber goes on outside of the metal and clamp it tight. use a ratchet to tighten the !@#$ out of them clamps. same for maf sensor. if you still see the green gasket you fail. push it all the way down and just tighten the screws.
camaro guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:27 AM   #5
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Something is wrong with the install. This is the first bad news I have heard for the Injen. I LOVE mine. Runs great and performs better than stock. Good luck and let us know what you find.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:30 AM   #6
67 GTO
13.453 @ 101.90

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Rally Yellow
Something is amiss, I had my best 1/4 mile with the Injen installed.

GMPP exhaust/JBA shorties/Vararam CAI/VMax TB/SLP Pulley/VMax IM isolator/MACE Ported IM +Plenum Spacer/IPF Tuned
67 GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:13 AM   #7
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Is your MAF turned 180 degrees? It should have the point of the triangle down on the wiring harness connection and when you slide it in you should be able to read the Bosch logo. It can go in either way but this is how it should be.

Did you handle the sensor when you took it out? Contaminants can really mess with it. AutoZone, Advanced, etc all sell MAF cleaner that you pretty much just spray on.

I'm happy with mine and have had no lagging. Your connection may be loose too on the MAF sensor. It's amazing how problems with that can cause major issues.
Attached Images

Last edited by garcmol; 08-13-2010 at 07:17 AM.
garcmol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:13 AM   #8
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Pretty much what other have said... I notice an improvement in the low end torque pulling out of the parking lot after the install....
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:16 AM   #9
Wizzer

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey
Something is wrong with your car. Mine is wonderful. Recheck everything and pull your battery cable to reset your computer.
Wizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:29 AM   #10
Amenti

Drives: 2017 1SS Convertible
Speaking of issues, albeit a minor seeming one, I've noticed on mine that even though my car butt-dynos better; it seems like it's running rich. I think I need to go back and disconnect the battery to reset the ECU, because I didn't do that during the install at my friend's recommendation.

Post-Install I've had the strange side-effect of castrating my car horn. It sounds like the horn is half-blowing (lower volume). If I were to describe it, I would say that the old horn sounded like it was blowing two notes in dissonance; now, it sounds like it's just blowing one. It's strangely clean-sounding.

Last edited by Amenti; 08-13-2010 at 08:30 AM. Reason: correction
Amenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:34 AM   #11
Droid6

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Make sure you pull the negative battery cable to speed up the computers adaptation to your new intake. I failed to do this and it took a while for me to feel the extra HP from my intake.

2010 Camaro LS: Eibach Pro-Plus Kit, K&N Aircharger, Flowmaster American Thunder, Pioneer Audio
Droid6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:37 AM   #12
PieNsky

Drives: Victory Red 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by squatin0n18s View Post
The noise you're hearing is common I'm pretty sure and that sucks that you're not satisfied man, it doesn't get any better really...
An unintentional pun
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:48 AM   #13
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Thanks guys for the feedback... If I had to be honest during the install I was delicate with the MAF sensor. However, AFTER the install, I realized, I had left the MAF in the sun for a couple of minutes (I was installing outside and the sun was setting so moved out of the shade)

Would that be the reason why? I mean my car can run, just doesn't feel like how you describe. The MAF sensor is installed properly I believe. The Green rubber thingy is fully in, but I'll double check all the connections and screws, tighten them up again.

When you say "disconnect the battery" what do you mean? Because I disconnected my battery during the install? But I re-connected it AFTER. Does that not count? Should I do it again? and for how long?

Thanks again guys for the good replies and advice.... if anything is wrong, do you think its the MAF in the sun? If that still deosnt work, maybe I'll order another one from GM.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:12 AM   #14
raqball

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Disconnecting during the install should have done the trick... I'd double check everything and perhaps disconnect the battery again...

When you reconnected your battery after the install did you have to reset the driver side window??
raqball is offline   Reply With Quote