Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 09-02-2010, 10:28 PM   #1
kevC

Drives: 2010 Silver Camaro LS with 20's
$35 HID's

My friend recommended http://www.ddmtuning.com/product.php?II=101 for a HID kit. He says it's legit and it's been working fine for his Corolla. It has bad shipping but comes with a lifetime warranty. Do y'all think this is legit? What would I have to get for my LS? 35W, H13?
kevC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:47 PM   #2
BLACK10

Drives: 2010 CAMARO. 10.04@133mph, 1.4 60'
trust me, you get what you pay for. these cars need a a digital signal. those will flicker and cut out on you....at the worst times. contact BFXENON here on camaro5. great prices and quality stuff
Attached Images

BLACK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:51 PM   #3
kevC

Are you sure? I think they claim that it is digital. My friend has had his for 5 months and has no flickering. I mean $35 is so cheap that I can just throw it away if doesn't work. I think I might give it a try. What's the worst that could happen?
Old 09-02-2010, 11:46 PM   #4
HaZe_X

Drives: Trailblazer SS & Camaro SS
If the camaros non rs halogens operate like every other GM headlight then, the flickering issue is because of the DRL's, when the DRL's go on the BCM is only supplying the car with ~75% (I forget the number) of power to the halogens, unlike HID's they need the full 100%. Easiest way to do this buy a relay harness (http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-HID/V...-p8151218.html) for direct battery power at all times.

As for the DDM kit, Ran it in my truck for 4 years, not a single problem. It Ridiculous to pay over $100 for a HID kit.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:24 AM   #5
erk5000

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99 SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaZe_X View Post
If the camaros non rs halogens operate like every other GM headlight then, the flickering issue is because of the DRL's, when the DRL's go on the BCM is only supplying the car with ~75% (I forget the number) of power to the halogens, unlike HID's they need the full 100%. Easiest way to do this buy a relay harness (http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-HID/V...-p8151218.html) for direct battery power at all times.

As for the DDM kit, Ran it in my truck for 4 years, not a single problem. It Ridiculous to pay over $100 for a HID kit.
I agree with this guy. Those HID's are fine. My friend has some too and they have been running perfect. Some people just charge too much for greed.
erk5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:05 AM   #6
kevC

Should I get H13 Hi/Lo?
Old 09-03-2010, 06:09 AM   #7
kevC

Also, do Camaro's require a relay harness?
Old 09-03-2010, 06:13 AM   #8
erk5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevC View Post
Should I get H13 Hi/Lo?
Quote:
Also, do Camaro's require a relay harness?
Yes get both.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:09 AM   #9
BFxenon.com
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
What's the worst that could happen?

well... for starters, you can fry your computer. that's probably the worst that could happen. Aside from that, there is always the little things like; check engine light, radio feedback, and melted housings.

Nothing is perfect... just sharing some experiences on what I have seen from other companies.
BFxenon.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:12 AM   #10
BFxenon.com
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro
Erk - there are many differences that go into HID production, R&D, and assembly. Some people, i agree, are greedy... but there are kits that are much better than others.

HID kits are not all the same thing. Just to clarify and make sure there is not a blanket statement over all HID lights. Thanks man

Quote:
Originally Posted by erk5000 View Post
Some people just charge too much for greed.
BFxenon.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:20 PM   #11
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
My friend recommended http://www.ddmtuning.com/product.php?II=101 for a HID kit. He says it's legit and it's been working fine for his Corolla. It has bad shipping but comes with a lifetime warranty. Do y'all think this is legit? What would I have to get for my LS? 35W, H13?
Personally I would not simply because they are not DOT certified.

You can get tickets for running non certified headlights. Also if you cause a wreck because you blinded someone and it is found that you are running headlights that are illegal to run on public roads, you can get sued. Cheaping out now is not worth the possible extra expense later down the road imo.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:24 PM   #12
erk5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post

You can get tickets for running non certified headlights. Also if you cause a wreck because you blinded someone and it is found that you are running headlights that are illegal to run on public roads, you can get sued. Cheaping out now is not worth the possible extra expense later down the road imo.
Thats true. I didnt notice that they werent DOT approved.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:39 AM   #13
SNV

Drives: 2014 RRM 2ls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post

Running HIDs in halogen housing is illegal no matter what. It doesn't matter is they are DOT certified. With no projectors the light will scatter.
Yes I do run HIDs in halogen housing though.
Not all cheaper HID kits are bad. I have 3 sets of HID bulbs here. All three sets are 8ks. I have install and tried all three sets. Fist set was a mid range price. Nice color a little hint of blue to them. I had problems with one of the ballasts from day one. I bought a low end kit to try out. Swap out the bad ballast at first and both bulbs. Ballasts work fine and had zero problems with them. The bulbs felt light the were built better. Color had a little less blue to it. It look closer to a 6k light then an 8k. Third set of bulbs I would call higher end. They are from a vendor on this site. I really don't want to point out who's they are. The bulbs feel and look the same as the cheap set. If you looked at them both I think the only way you could tell them apart is by the stickers lol. The only difference I could see in them was more blue. Most of the parts are coming out of china. I'm sorry but some vendors are just making more money. Others are paying more for them. I build computers. I have a side business that I have been running for years. I build my own and do a ton of repairs. I have fixed a ton of Dell, Compaq, HP. Gateway, ect. I have seen the same mother boards in these pc's that I have used in the past. The difference in them is the cost. While I have to pay say $60 for the same mother board they are only paying $20. So they can sell low end computers cheaper then I can. Some vendors can not stock 300 sets of lights while others can. When you buy in bulk it is a lot cheaper.
Yeah some cheap HID kits are crap. Not all are. Unless a vendor is making his own kits more the likely he is buying his kits from the same places others are.
SNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:32 AM   #14
SILVER BULLITT

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS/RS MONSTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNV View Post
Running HIDs in halogen housing is illegal no matter what. It doesn't matter is they are DOT certified. With no projectors the light will scatter.
Yes I do run HIDs in halogen housing though.
Not all cheaper HID kits are bad. I have 3 sets of HID bulbs here. All three sets are 8ks. I have install and tried all three sets. Fist set was a mid range price. Nice color a little hint of blue to them. I had problems with one of the ballasts from day one. I bought a low end kit to try out. Swap out the bad ballast at first and both bulbs. Ballasts work fine and had zero problems with them. The bulbs felt light the were built better. Color had a little less blue to it. It look closer to a 6k light then an 8k. Third set of bulbs I would call higher end. They are from a vendor on this site. I really don't want to point out who's they are. The bulbs feel and look the same as the cheap set. If you looked at them both I think the only way you could tell them apart is by the stickers lol. The only difference I could see in them was more blue. Most of the parts are coming out of china. I'm sorry but some vendors are just making more money. Others are paying more for them. I build computers. I have a side business that I have been running for years. I build my own and do a ton of repairs. I have fixed a ton of Dell, Compaq, HP. Gateway, ect. I have seen the same mother boards in these pc's that I have used in the past. The difference in them is the cost. While I have to pay say $60 for the same mother board they are only paying $20. So they can sell low end computers cheaper then I can. Some vendors can not stock 300 sets of lights while others can. When you buy in bulk it is a lot cheaper.
Yeah some cheap HID kits are crap. Not all are. Unless a vendor is making his own kits more the likely he is buying his kits from the same places others are.
couldnt of put it any better
HP MONSTER' SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA BUILT, LMR CAI, CUSTOM GRIND CAM, CUSTOM BUILT CNC PORTED AND POLISHED HEADS, FAST 102MM INTAKE MANIFOLD,ARH LONG TUBES AND HIGH FLOW CATS, BIGGER INJECTORS, VALVES SPRINGS RETAINERS, MGW SHORT SHIFTER, EIBACH SPRINGS, FACTORY CHROMED WHEELS, BLACKED OUT EMBLEMS, BLACKED OUT ROOF,BLACKED OUT MARKERS, 3.5 INCH ELECTRONIC CUTOUTS, FLOWMASTERS, ZEX WET 150 SHOT, FOR A GRAND TOTAL OF =630 REAR WHEEL TORQUE ,AND 600 REAR WHEEL HORSEPOWER
MY JOURNALhttp://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...02#post2023802 SOON TWIN TURBO SETUP
SILVER BULLITT is offline   Reply With Quote