Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-08-2010, 09:54 AM   #1
Mr. Brownstone

Drives: "SINISTER"
Brake Pad Upgrade...Is it Really Worth it????????

I currently have my calipers sent off to "Mike" for powder coating.

Is it really worth upgrading my brake pads?????

I only have about 5k on my originals.

If so, can someone recommend some good pads to upgrade to!!!!
G6x3 Camshaft...4:10 Gear, UD Pulley, RotoFab CAI, Stainless Works Long Tubes, Pfadt Sport Plus Suspension Kit, Cincy Speed Custom tune!!
Mr. Brownstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Yes! I found the stockers to be too grabby and hard to modulate. Not to mention the horrid brake dust! I switched out to Hawk Ceramics. Perfect modulation and 95% less brake dust!!
Old 09-08-2010, 11:05 AM   #3
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Much depends on your use. Are you looking for a track upgrade or less dust?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:03 PM   #4
Mr. Brownstone

Drives: "SINISTER"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Much depends on your use. Are you looking for a track upgrade or less dust?
Less Dust for Sure!!!! I also want to avoid any noisy brakes.
G6x3 Camshaft...4:10 Gear, UD Pulley, RotoFab CAI, Stainless Works Long Tubes, Pfadt Sport Plus Suspension Kit, Cincy Speed Custom tune!!
Mr. Brownstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:35 AM   #5
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
I had my calipers powder coated and have the hawk ceramic pads. The weights were removed from my calipers and I have no noise. I highly recommend the ceramic pads--no dust and no noise (so far). I also recommend getting braided stainless brake lines to replace the stock rubber lines. I got the Pedders brake lines and they really firmed up the pedal feel. I've heard the ceramic pads don't have quite the stopping power of the stock pads, but the stainless brake lines made the entire braking system feel so much better I don't think it's true.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:32 PM   #6
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by My 5th View Post
I've heard the ceramic pads don't have quite the stopping power of the stock pads, but the stainless brake lines made the entire braking system feel so much better I don't think it's true.
While cold that is true, until they get some heat in them. Ceramics are known for their high heat ability and fade resistance under high heat. They don't normally work their best until a certain amount of heat is in them.

So initially they may feel that way. I have put mine thru some serious thrashing on my favorite coast (twisty) road and they are every bit as strong as the stockers....

I run carbon/ceramics on my bikes and they can take a beating...
Old 09-10-2010, 12:01 AM   #7
obe1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 IOM, 1995 Blown Z28
I have close to 10,000 miles on the ceramic pads. Very happy with the huge reduction in dusting. I believe the stopping is equal to the stock pads cold or hot. I do have brake squeal noise and I kept the stock weights on my calipers.
2019 Corvette Grand Sport
obe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:08 AM   #8
JusticePete

I am going to get roasted for this but I have to say it. There is no such thing as a magic brake pad or Jack's magic bean stalk beans. Brakes make dust or they are not working. That is just the way it is. The dust may be a different color, but if there is actually less dust you have lost braking power. The harder the pad material the faster your rotors will wear. The harder the pad material the noisier the brakes will be.

The OE pads are a GREAT combination pad. They will hold up to some track use. They stop great stone cold. They have decent feel. The brake bias is next to perfect.

Changing pads can alter bias. Changing pads can reduce cold or hot stopping power. There are certainly high quality after market pads available for the 5th Gen. They just are not magic. There will be some trade off from the OE pad to an aftermarket pad. I suggest that one of you ask the pad manufacturer exactly what those differences are.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #9
rmnc3r

Drives: me up the wall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Changing pads can alter bias. Changing pads can reduce cold or hot stopping power. There are certainly high quality after market pads available for the 5th Gen. They just are not magic. There will be some trade off from the OE pad to an aftermarket pad. I suggest that one of you ask the pad manufacturer exactly what those differences are.
Since you opened the door, what is your opinion of the Hawk Ceramic Pads?

Cheers!
Ricamaro
rmnc3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:58 AM   #10
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmnc3r View Post
Since you opened the door, what is your opinion of the Hawk Ceramic Pads?

Cheers!
Ricamaro
I have not used them. That said, Hawk has a great reputation.

On my Camaro with both the SS brakes and the CTS-V / Z28 upgrade we run Cobalt friction racing pads. In SS mode we use XR1 compound up front with XR3 compound in the rear. In CTS-V mode we use XR1 up front and a more aggressive XR2 in the rear. For track use they have proven to be outstanding.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:22 AM   #11
Berean

Drives: Truck
I went with Hawk ceramic as well.
Berean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:36 AM   #12
Bruce@raymondsperformance

Drives: 2014 Z28 camaro
The hawk ceramic pads are a good pad.I am running the GM cts-v brake calipers and pads.I like them for what I use the car for.If I tracked my car I would up grade them to a hawk pad .
Bruce@raymondsperformance is offline   Reply With Quote