Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-18-2010, 06:50 PM   #197
Toms2SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOutlaw View Post
It happens on the 2011s too, I have it on mine.
Three weeks and 500 miles on my 2011. Noticed this on the spoiler passenger side.

I plan to take care of it myself.
Toms2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:07 PM   #198
427Carl
427CARL

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6speed
Send a message via Yahoo to 427Carl
Toms2SS..... If you have basic mechanical skills, it worth doing it yourself!!
I wish I could figure out why my pictures won't show on "my" computer I can show everyone the bottom of the spoiler and how to fix it Carl
Old 10-18-2010, 10:22 PM   #199
Seeya

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS
This weekend I removed the factory spoiler to put on the MPDI spoiler and mine had a 1/4inch by 3inch gash in it. Didn't go through the primer but still sux. Brought it to the dealer this afternoon and has me set up for next week to redo it. The thing I noticed when I placed the MPDI spoiler on for a test fit was that the rubber washers were thicker than then factory ones. This should solve any possible rubbing issue. I'll post pix next week when I get the MPDI spoiler on to show the spacing between the deck lid and the spoiler.
Seeya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:46 PM   #200
vwilson686

Drives: 2010 Cyber Gray 2LT/RS
Guess I will be joining the club on Monday, calling my dealer. Last night while cleaning my car before a trip to the National Corvette Museum today, found the same thing. Smaller chip on the passenger side, larger chip just like some shown above on the driver side. 6600 miles on a car born on May 14,2010. This sux!!! Wasn't easy to see on CGM paint, but definitely a problem. I may print out this entire thread and take it with me, especially the post from CHEROB10 with the picture of the kit GM provided. TSB, where are you???
vwilson686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:13 PM   #201
ackeight

Drives: 10' 2SS/RS
Add me to the list. 1700 miles. I dropped the car off at the dealer late friday and the body shop wasn't in. I will talk to them about the kit to fix it and let ya'll know what they say. I wish GM woulda fixed this from the factory with the 1/8" spacers sooner.
ackeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:34 AM   #202
JSkibisky

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwilson686 View Post
Guess I will be joining the club on Monday, calling my dealer. Last night while cleaning my car before a trip to the National Corvette Museum today, found the same thing. Smaller chip on the passenger side, larger chip just like some shown above on the driver side. 6600 miles on a car born on May 14,2010. This sux!!! Wasn't easy to see on CGM paint, but definitely a problem. I may print out this entire thread and take it with me, especially the post from CHEROB10 with the picture of the kit GM provided. TSB, where are you???
Sorry to hear that... and my TPW was 5/17... so it seems to be pretty common on late-build 2010's ... even some 2011's are having this issue. If it's any consolation, the thicker washers and additional foam strips seems to solve the problem. It's all about spacing... and showing this thread to your dealer and/or body shop will certainly help them fix it correctly. Some of the folks on this thread, myself included, were able to do our own fix after the cause of the problem was identified ("thank you" to Russell James and others !!) and in my case, the issue hasn't re-occured. Now that Chevy has the same fix, I'm sure that you'll be able to get a proper repair. Good luck and please keep us posted !!
JSkibisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:34 PM   #203
ackeight

Alright guys. I'm back with a car from the dealer with an update. I dropped the car off late friday night with no one in the paint/body shop with minimal instructions except to call me on Monday. Well I had to call them and he asked if it was "roughness" on the spoiler. I told him no look at the trunk lid where the spoiler meets at the edges. He then figures out what I'm talking about and says he's never seen this before. Here is the funny part. Later that day they send EVERYONE out to EVERY camaro they have to look at the trunk lids. Come to find out HALF have this issue on the lot!!!!!!! They called up the regional manager to get the low down on what was happening. Aparantly they are very gratefull that I had brought this issue up to them because they had no clue! I told them about this thread and showed them the "package" GM sent the other dealer to fix this. Unfortunatly this is not an official TSB, but is "soon" to be one now that I had brought this up.
Here is the bad news. They want to repaint the entire trunk lid and replace the stripes to fix this. I kind of thought they may have needed to do this and I'm not a big fan for paint matching reasons and I have a custom painted bowtie that would need to be removed :(. I really only want the spacer kit and touch up the chips since it is only down to the primer(they called it something else) and not metal. They let me take it home since they don't think it will rust.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:34 PM   #204
sgseward

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackeight View Post
Here is the bad news. They want to repaint the entire trunk lid and replace the stripes to fix this. I kind of thought they may have needed to do this and I'm not a big fan for paint matching reasons and I have a custom painted bowtie that would need to be removed :(. I really only want the spacer kit and touch up the chips since it is only down to the primer(they called it something else) and not metal. They let me take it home since they don't think it will rust.
I agree. I stopped my chipping as soon as I found it by putting some 3m tape under the edges. I refused to have the whole trunk painted so I'm paying $200 to have a pro fix it right! I just didn't want to risk a paint mismatch if they painted the whole trunk. My chips are so small that a touchup should be almost impossible to notice. My guy has the rubber washers in stock (most reputable shops will) and is going to make sure there is no contact.

Steve
sgseward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:56 AM   #205
CaliMattRS

Drives: 2011 2LT RS Manual
I'm at the dealer now, showed him the spoiler issue and he said he hasn't seen it before. I told him I wanted to wait until there was a real fix before they worked on it but wanted to document the issue.I told him I saw the info on a chevy forum and he said I shouldn't listen or read forums. After I dropped my car off for the oil change I walked the lot and all three other RS camaros had the same issue.

Doh.

Chevy please send out a tsb!

I am sure a bean counter somewhere has figured out it is cheaper to just fix the peoples cars that notice this, instead of issuing a recall. Sad though because they need to address the issue on the manufacturing line so it stops happening.
CaliMattRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:31 AM   #206
ackeight

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliMattRS View Post
I'm at the dealer now, showed him the spoiler issue and he said he hasn't seen it before. I told him I wanted to wait until there was a real fix before they worked on it but wanted to document the issue.I told him I saw the info on a chevy forum and he said I shouldn't listen or read forums. After I dropped my car off for the oil change I walked the lot and all three other RS camaros had the same issue.

Doh.

Chevy please send out a tsb!

I am sure a bean counter somewhere has figured out it is cheaper to just fix the peoples cars that notice this, instead of issuing a recall. Sad though because they need to address the issue on the manufacturing line so it stops happening.
He is half right half wrong about listening to the forums. Some guys know what they are talking about and some don't. Once the person builds the rep about being knowledgable and you know that then you can get some REALLY good information out there. In this case he is dead wrong. This is much bigger issue than what they know about.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:24 PM   #207
rdaggett

Drives: 2010 IOM 1SS
still dealing with GM Customer Service .... Been 2-3 weeks now playing phone tag with district managers .... told them I don't want the trunk painted and blended since I have IOM and it will never match the factory paint. I am suggesting they take off the factory wing .... fix all chipping by sealing it and order a painted MPD1 wing to cover the sealed chipping on the edges... Told them I wanted to be there when the factory wing is taken off and the new one put on with the updated gm wing gasket kit ...Will let you all know how this works
rdaggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:05 PM   #208
vwilson686

Drives: 2010 Cyber Gray 2LT/RS
And, yet another! Built on 5-14-10, and has around 6500 miles on her. After reading this thread, I found the same issue on my CGM Friday evening while prepping for a Music City Camaro Club meet up. Probably didn't see it sooner because the primer coat is also, well, gray. I am taking my car into the dealer, armed with some of the info on this thread. Will be calling GM if not satisfied with what they say/do.
vwilson686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:10 PM   #209
Dr.Bender

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Just looked at min today while pumping gas. It is chipped under there too! It is a 2011....with 1800 miles.
Dr.Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:42 PM   #210
ORANGA2D

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6
New 11' SS/RS owner with the issue, it’s on the right side only. I talked to the dealer last Sat. They have been very helpful. When I was there I walked the lot to find 10 out of the 25 or so Camaros to have the issue. Mainly on the right side as mine is. I pointed this out to the dealer. They are now in contact with GM waiting approval of a rental car and what work need to be done. They are of the same mind that just to touch it up won’t do it. It need the spacers and paint it the right way. So come on GM get with it.
ORANGA2D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chip, paint, spoiler