Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-21-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
cactuseater

Drives: .
Morons or do they just want to see it run?

Twice in a week. Mr. Monster Truck with the Diesel Engine spewing huge clouds of black smoke trying to cath me from a stop light, and then there's the Volkswagen beetle (!!) that tried to cut me off where the road merges to two lanes. Of course, I educated both of them, but this never happened in my Corvette Z06.

Here's my take on it. My car is a plain jane SS, no sticker stripes on my paint. I'll paint them later. Thus I guess they think it's my father's Oldsmobile, for lack of a better cliche.
cactuseater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:17 PM   #2
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
As has been said before, they're not worth your time or wasted gas

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:43 PM   #3
Unit453

Drives: 2011 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
As has been said before, they're not worth your time or wasted gas

I wouldn't count on that.

Any properly tuned modern day Powerstroke, Cummins or Duramax has more than enough capabilities to provide an ass raping to any stock SS on the road.

I would never underestimate any diesel. They may look stock but you never know what kind of tune they're running. A tuned diesel can molest 95% of traffic on the road.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:51 PM   #4
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit453 View Post

Any properly tuned modern day Powerstroke, Cummins or Duramax has more than enough capabilities to provide an ass raping to any stock SS on the road.

I would never underestimate any diesel. They may look stock but you never know what kind of tune they're running. A tuned diesel can molest 95% of traffic on the road.
You mean one that the boost has been turned up on. Yep they can be baddazzes.. But so can a h/c LS3 if done right..

Most people want to see it run, some think they can win some are just looking for a laugh, some are showing you respect. Muscle brings out all kinds of reactions
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:52 PM   #5
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:

Oh yeah, I have seen some insane diesel's, but it will take more than a tune.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:00 PM   #6
Synyster

Drives: 2006 F150 Lariat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Not.
Uhhh... yes. You've never seen a worked 6.4L Powerstroke have you? Diesel trucks can easily pass into the low 12's. Modern diesels with very little cash too. Now an older 7.3L will require some pretty severe tuning and a lot of new parts... but who races a 7.3?
Synyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:05 PM   #7
SSLarry

Drives: 2SS LS3
I had a big diesel ford truck try to take me had a light. I didn't even bother. I know the scenario in my head. I don't need to waste clutch and gas to prove he knows nothing about cars.

2010 CGM 2SS LS3, born: 4/10
SSLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:16 PM   #8
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Quote:

Maybe you missed my point.

It's not worth the time, energy and gas consumption to give these people the time of day. If they want to race off down the road thinking they're hot sh!t, they're more than welcome to go kill themselves because they probably don't know how to handle their vehicles at high speeds anyway. I'm not interested in being anywhere near one of these tools when they decide to try and show off, whether their car is physically faster than mine or not.

So, again, they're not worth it

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:19 PM   #9
bigearl

Drives: 10 Camaro 2lt
The diesel issue has been discussed a lot, some of them are quite powerful-don't be shocked when the 1000+ ft-lb of torque truck runs you to 60.

As far as the VW goes, I just think beetle owners are randomly crazy and it had nothing to do with you or your car. I see turbo-bug and gti owners thinking they're 911's all the time. Cutting in and out of traffic, trying to own the merge lane, etc.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:31 PM   #10
Unit453

Drives: 2011 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Not.

You've obviously never seen them run.

I've owned 3 generation Duramax trucks and none of them were stock. They were dripping with low end beans.

Just go back to thinking that your car is the fastest thing on the road.
Quote:
Oh yeah, I have seen some insane diesel's, but it will take more than a tune.
EFI Live works wonders for the Duramax. You throw on a turbo or a set of turbos, build your trans and you've got a street dominating machine.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:39 PM   #11
Big Brunsy

Drives: 2010 supercharged LS3
Big Brunsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:43 PM   #12
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
EFI Live works wonders for the Duramax. You throw on a turbo or a set of turbos, build your trans and you've got a street dominating machine.
Oh, I agree, but again, just a tune is not gonna get it done. Add the turbo or turbo's and build the tranny and then you will dominate an SS.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:47 PM   #13
Lazerbrainz2k3

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS - M6, NPP, MRC
But you're still comparing tuned to stock - kinda unfair and even then it may depend on the tune. I would put the odds of running into a tuned truck capable of catching a stock SS as good as the odds of finding a tuned SS that could beat the tuned truck - which in my area is not very likely on either count, most truck drivers here seem to prefer wasting money making their trucks challenge two-story houses for height.

I never can understand the point of comparing tuned and/or FI to stock, like there's some agreed-upon performance levels all tuned cars (and trucks) adhere to. It all depends on what you have to spend and what your personal preference is - with enough rework I could probably get something that was once a Ford Model A to outperform a stock SS, but aside from the depth of my pockets, what does that prove?
Lazerbrainz2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:52 PM   #14
98nosz28

Drives: 1998 Camaro Z28
i hate the diesel discussions. yes tune, turbo, larger intercooler, built tranny, exhaust no kidding they are fast just like a built camaro. I ran a 04 ford f350 with turbo back exhaust, cai, edge stage five tuner set on race, and i had no trouble with my 07 escalade with cai, catback and predator tune. they are not fast with just bolt ons until you get into fully built but they are few and far between.

the trucks honestly think that they can take a sports car b/c when driving or riding in these beasts they feel fast b/c they are a heavy machine putting out lots of torque. I ran another one the other day from a roll and the look on his face when i rolled by him at 200km/h (sorry i am from canada 125mph) was priceless.

When rollin in the caddy i look for diesels to put in their place when cruisin in the camaro i just laugh when they throw me a rev

just my .02

2011 SS/RS synergy green, sunroof, M6. Street scene ground effects, hood spear and shark fin decals from ridergraphix.
98nosz28 is offline   Reply With Quote