Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-16-2011, 10:32 AM   #29
AlohaBR

Drives: Camaros...is there anything else?
I wouldn't say Michigan, SE Detroit out to US23 has had a bad winter. I have been running the stock all seasons on my LS camaro.
Drives as good if not better than my Van did.
For the SS and LT owners I could see putting "winter tires" on vs the performance summer tires.
FYI..60 mile commute each way.
AlohaBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:04 AM   #30
LYCAN
Tattooed K9

Drives: E63AMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoGM View Post
I grew up North of Syracuse and then Rochester NY. No matter what car I have/had always put snows all around. Not a time to worry about looks but functionality and avoiding the other idiots that don't put snows on or are in an SUV and think they can run at 90MPH. I always went with a steel rim and as narrow a tire that I could buy for a more concentrated deep bite in the snow.
The PZero's get "evil" in the cold and snow. Even with the minimal snow, cold and ice here in Raleigh they are only ok. If I lived anywhere else I would have four snows or not run the car.
My 2 cents
+1
LYCAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:40 AM   #31
SRM
New England Daily Driver

Drives: 2010 2SS RS CGM
As some have said, get non-highperformance winter tires. I ran Blizzak WS-50's on my 2000 Z28 at 225 width (purchased from tirerack with steel wheels, btw ). It was just as good traction wise to my 2 AWD subaru's with new all season tires. The downside was these were not designed for cornering and were speed rated for 80mph.

For my 2010 SS, I sacrifice traction withthe Pirelli Scorpions, stock tire width front and back (245/275), plus they are considered "high performance" so they corner well and are speed limited to 140. These tires are good, especially considering I'm running 275's on the rear, but you have to factor in how much the roads are really snow covered. Worst case for me, my wife is a teacher, so if she doesn't have school, I can use her jeep.

Others always say Camaro = no snow. I didn't purchase this car, and my previous fbodies to sit in a garage for months. I enjoy driving my car every day, and keep it clean the best I can.

Previous: 2010 2SS RS, 2007 WRX, 2000 Z28, and a few 2nd gen Fbodies...
SRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:10 AM   #32
LYCAN
Tattooed K9

Drives: E63AMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRM View Post
As some have said, get non-highperformance winter tires. I ran Blizzak WS-50's on my 2000 Z28 at 225 width (purchased from tirerack with steel wheels, btw ). It was just as good traction wise to my 2 AWD subaru's with new all season tires. The downside was these were not designed for cornering and were speed rated for 80mph.

For my 2010 SS, I sacrifice traction withthe Pirelli Scorpions, stock tire width front and back (245/275), plus they are considered "high performance" so they corner well and are speed limited to 140. These tires are good, especially considering I'm running 275's on the rear, but you have to factor in how much the roads are really snow covered. Worst case for me, my wife is a teacher, so if she doesn't have school, I can use her jeep.

Others always say Camaro = no snow. I didn't purchase this car, and my previous fbodies to sit in a garage for months. I enjoy driving my car every day, and keep it clean the best I can.
As one prior 79 TA (10 yr anniv) owner to another, the issue with F-Bodies is that they are not an ideal setup for snow as they are. Big tires, wide wheel base, and lots of HP on tap. To the average person that spells disaster. However, you did the smart thing and adapted the Camaro to the situation. Many people do not. By getting snow/ice tires and being educated on the situation proves to me that you are setup properly and have adapted the vehicle to the driving environment. The smart thing. But you have to realize that outside of our group there are a lot of people who don't know any better and go out and jump on bad roads with stock rubber and get into trouble. So, off the showroom floor NO the Camaro is not setup right. But putting the right tires puts it right. I'll bow out of this now:-)
LYCAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:21 PM   #33
SummitWhiteLS

Drives: 2011 Mustang V6 Automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by LYCAN View Post
I had a really bad crash in the snow one year in my C5 when I hit a patch of black ice. My car did a 360 on the interstate and slammed into a semi. It broke my neck in three places.
Thank GOD your ok. Angels were watching over you.

Get better!
Old 01-21-2011, 12:37 PM   #34
SummitWhiteLS

Drives: 2011 Mustang V6 Automatic
In local driving, my all season tires are doing great so far.

Since my shoulder injury at work last year, I'm not shoveling/using the snow blower. So I have a private contractor plow a spot in the front of my house for my car.

But first I have it get my car out so he can plow! This morning, I drove out of a 5 inch storm (including the snow pushed up against my car from the town plow). I got out!

The weight of the car + all season tires + traction/stability control has made this car as easy to drive in the snow as was my FWD Cobalt SS with A/S tires.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:45 PM   #35
scuba264

Drives: Manual 2011 CGM LS
Had my first experience in a RWD car in the snow last night. I live at the top of a pretty steep and windy hill. My all seasons got me up, wasn't all that terrible. Definitely a change feeling the ass end want to kick out on me, but the part of PA I went to school in got TERRIBLE snow every year so I got pretty great at driving in the stuff (at least in my old FWD).

It was a good mess on our street and I made it, if I throw some winter tires on it and maybe some sandbags I can't see it being a problem at all.
scuba264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:07 PM   #36
Dyk-NO
Trust me I'm a Scientist.

Drives: My wifey ;P
Can anybody summarize the maximum and minimum wheel and tire sizes so Ill have. Better idea what to get? Thanks

Mods: RotoFab CAI, SW Headers, HiFlo Cats, Borla Atak Catback, Nightfury Cam, Ported Heads,Intake,TB, melling pump, Morosso Oil Separator.
Dyk-NO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:03 AM   #37
Al

Drives: 2011 SS CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeSSter View Post
Al

I have 225 60R18 on the Blizzaks. They are awesome through the deep snow, or on the ice. Had I previously known how good they are on rear wheel drive , I might have just gotten rear wheel instead of AWD on the Trailblazer SS.

Maybe it is just the CGM Camaro that it the winter beast,eh?
Could be.

You should have seen the rooster tail flying yesterday! These tires can throw large quantities of snow when stomped on. Hope I can get more than one season out of mine, thinking I should rotate soon. . .

My first car was a '72 Vega, back in the day when front wheel drive cars were as popular as mopeds. Remember when almost every state trooper vehicle was rear-wheel drive? Did they park their cars for the winter? HAH!

(Click above image to learn about UpstateC5)
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:50 PM   #38
OUTATIME

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeSSter View Post
I have a 2011 2SS/RS in Michigan. Rudy at Tire Rack set me up with 18 inch rims and Blizzak WS-70 snow tires. The vehicle I traded in to get the Camaro was a 2006 Trailblazer SS AWD. We have had 2 good snowstorms so far this winter. My drive to and from work is 50 miles one way. I have had no issues with the Camaro on the snow and ice. It is as good or better than the TBSS. My first 25 years of driving were in rear wheel drive cars in winter states (Michigan, Illinois, North Dakota, Washington, Alaska). I bought the Camaro to drive, that is what I'm gonna do regardless of the weather.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
The SS is one of the most fun vehicles to drive. Summer, spring, winter or fall. Just do it.

Blizzaks are what I have used for years. Just go an inch or two smaller in rim size if you can.

BTW Tire Rack is the way to go. Use nothing wider than: P235/55R-19 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1. I have found (on road driving and parking lot fun) 235's all around to be the most balanced way to travel in the winter. Have fun!
You both have 2011 SS's. How in god's name did you get around the rollerskate brake pads?
OUTATIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:37 AM   #39
Al

Drives: 2011 SS CGM
SS with snows

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTATIME View Post
You both have 2011 SS's. How in god's name did you get around the rollerskate brake pads?
Try this: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107764

Do this mod and talk to Rudy at Tire Rack.com

Tell'em Al sent ya.

(Click above image to learn about UpstateC5)
Al is offline   Reply With Quote