Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 05-17-2010, 10:36 AM   #43
Wizzer

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Caroline 2SS Aqua View Post
Here is my two cents, a guess and a starting point.
I am thinking the remote start and alarm are connected together some how.
I lock the doors and press remote start. HMMM.
Here a link to a picture of the remote start location.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/fea.../photo_03.html

Passenger side of the mirror, on the windshield.
Now who’s brave enough to take off the cover and probing for hot wires.
Anyone?? If so post the results please. As well as the wiring as it gets into the headliner.

Like I said a starting place. Now to trace them down the side and somewhere easily to tap into.

Is that what that is? The cover fell off when I was up there wiring once. I will do it now. I was an auto mech before I joined the USAF and I kept all my wiring tools. I have a nice snap on test light that just puts a tiny prick ( so to speak ) in the wire and when I pull it out the plastic sheathing from the wire expands over my mark. Doing it now. brb
Wizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:08 AM   #44
Wizzer

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzer View Post
Is that what that is? The cover fell off when I was up there wiring once. I will do it now. I was an auto mech before I joined the USAF and I kept all my wiring tools. I have a nice snap on test light that just puts a tiny prick ( so to speak ) in the wire and when I pull it out the plastic sheathing from the wire expands over my mark. Doing it now. brb

Well here is what happened.

I popped the cover off. Cut some of the wiring sheathing off that bands the four wires together and probed. There are 4 wires up there and the only one that gave me a reading is the red. The red is on when the car is unarmed and then when you arm it the wire goes dead. I still have to do more testing but as of now if there was some sort relay that didn't draw much power constantly we would have the answer.

Heres the thing. Relays that hold a circuit from closing draw power to hold the contacts apart. In theory I could buy one to hold the lightbar from getting power and when the car arms the relay would lose power and then make contact. When I disarm the relay would get power and then pull the circuit apart and thus the light bar would go off.

Two things make me nervous. Unless there is a no/low draw electronic relay on the market the circuit would always be drawing power to keep the relays contacts from closing and thus over long periods of time your battery would die.

The other thought is that how much current can that small wire on the windshield support. You wouldn't want a relay drawing too much and burning out what ever is feeding the circuit.

Now for those of you who have no wiring skills you should know that there are two types of relays.

1. The type that use power to close a circuit ( aka a cheap one that comes in driving lights ) when you apply power to a relay it makes a little magnet push a contact together and make a circuit.

2. The type that always draws power to hold the contacts apart. Thus when you remove power the magnet lets the contact free and a small spring forces the circuit to close.

The relay I think we need is number 2. Perhaps there is a digital relay on the market that pulls almost no power and can just sense when voltage is lost. This electronic type is what we need to google. If you can find this you will have your answer.

baring all my rambling yet a third solution would be to find a wire that gets hot when you arm. Sadly my testing did not find this. All I found was a wire that loses power when you arm. But it is progress. Thoughts?

Here is relay 101 for anyone who wants a nice explanation. http://www.bcae1.com/relays.htm
Wizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:57 PM   #45
Camaro4Life2011

Drives: Black Camaro 2LT RS with Sunroof
lol why dont you guys just tap into the dome light under the steering colum. The same one people use for the led footwell lights. You can then route it through to the engine bay where the light is. If you need help let me know.

[x] Perma-grin
[x]1000 Watt Dual 12'' Subs (******** Harness)
[x]Blacked out Bow-ties
[x]AACStyle Blue Footwell Lights.
[x]AACStyle Blue LED Dome Light.
[x]AACStyle Blue LED Trunk Light
[x]Knight Rider 54 Blue LED
[X]Valentine 1 Hard Wire
[X]Valentine 1 Concealed Display
[ ]20 %Tinted Windows
[ ]LED Underglow
[ ]Rear Footwell Lights
[ ]ABL Extension
[ ]Camaro RS Projection
[ ]Painted Calipers
[ ]Glove Box Light
[ ]Door Handle Lights
[ ]Cold Air Inductions CAI
[ ]AACStyle Plasma DRL
[ ]AACStyle License Plate LEDS
Camaro4Life2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:15 PM   #46
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSS2 View Post
I am wanting to tap onto the security light wire, so I can use AAC's nite rider light bars as a security light, I just do not know where the wire is, I am hoping I can just tap on under the driver side near where I am tapping onto the dome light (which I found here, Thanks TonyNo, greatly appreciated). I tried searching and came up with this, but I did not see what I need. Any and all assistance is most definitely appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.
Id be careful about draining your battery with that. I mean I guess it depends how long you leave your car parked.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:19 PM   #47
Camaro4Life2011

Drives: Black Camaro 2LT RS with Sunroof
But I would imagine you would be fine if you tapped into the dome light wire. I believe it shuts it off if the battery gets low.

[x] Perma-grin
[x]1000 Watt Dual 12'' Subs (******** Harness)
[x]Blacked out Bow-ties
[x]AACStyle Blue Footwell Lights.
[x]AACStyle Blue LED Dome Light.
[x]AACStyle Blue LED Trunk Light
[x]Knight Rider 54 Blue LED
[X]Valentine 1 Hard Wire
[X]Valentine 1 Concealed Display
[ ]20 %Tinted Windows
[ ]LED Underglow
[ ]Rear Footwell Lights
[ ]ABL Extension
[ ]Camaro RS Projection