Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-28-2011, 10:46 AM   #29
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
With that much driving you should definitely consider the automatic.

If you do go with the automatic and you plan to keep the car more than 5 years, you should consider getting the extended warranty. The cost to repair/replace a modern AT is phenomenal and there's all kinds of things that can go wrong with them... The manual setup is much much simpler.

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:53 AM   #30
SuthrnSS

Drives: 17' Silverado, 09’ C6
Im glad I came across this thread topic, was kinda bouncing between the two options on an SS. I do drive in heavy city traffic, especially to/from work and rush hour can be a beeyotch with a manual, so personally I may go with the automatic. If it was a second vehicle, manual no doubt.
SuthrnSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:40 PM   #31
BlkThndr66
I'm not car-ist

Drives: '10 RY 2LT Camaro '96 Mustang Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
+1

My stock clutch on the cobra went over 80,000 mi at over 500 hp. And the only reason I replaced it was due to the throwout bearing going out.

A stock clutch should be able to go over 100,000 miles easily, more like 150,000. And even then, it's not that expensive.

Auto's can go 200,000+ mi. too, but I have also seen modern auto's crap out at as early as 40,000 mi.
I had the stock clutch in my 96 Cobra until I threw the bearing also; figured I might as well recondition the motor too! MMMMmmmm new motors....... mmmmmmmm..... cobra..... mmm
Team LLT-M6
BlkThndr66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:44 PM   #32
BlkThndr66
I'm not car-ist

Drives: '10 RY 2LT Camaro '96 Mustang Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuthrnSS View Post
Im glad I came across this thread topic, was kinda bouncing between the two options on an SS. I do drive in heavy city traffic, especially to/from work and rush hour can be a beeyotch with a manual, so personally I may go with the automatic. If it was a second vehicle, manual no doubt.
I drive my camaro 2 hours each way for work in Chicago traffic. Yeah, it can suck b@lls but it IS a hydraulic clutch; much easier then the old cable ones [like in my Cobra.... oh those SUUUUUUKKKK in traffic.] But I think of it this way. No pain, no gain. Yeah the heavy traffic is worse than charlie sheens drug addition, but the times where the road is open, and in moderate traffic on a saturday night; cruisin through town with the windows down.... manual is the best. Just can't ever get an auto ever again. So. Lame.

[sorry to those that have autos; you still have a Camaro!!? ]
Team LLT-M6
BlkThndr66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:44 PM   #33
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDragonSS View Post
100,000 mile power train warranty... Enjoy.....
I went Auto no regrets, especially for that kinda milelage...
what does that have to do with anything? the clutch is not covered under that warranty.

Tags
automatic, diferences, manual, repair costs, transmission