Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-01-2011, 07:06 AM   #29
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsorange View Post
Do you mean it's raspy when it's revved up? and i do believe they offer less aggressive systems, a slight change in the muffler would tone down the wide open volume. When I think of "raspy" I think of ATAK systems by borla (I'm not knockin' it... I like how they sound). I don't know if the video camera captures the full range of sound in that video I posted but there is very little rasp in the JBA system next to the ATAK setup.

I can tell you this, the JBA system is not very courteous to quiet neighborhoods unless you idle through them. LOL it has two settings IDLE and WIDEOPEN, its very easy to make it sound like you are hallin' ass. Maybe an A6 would be different than the M6 which will allow you to drive quiet when you want.
I apologize as my comment was meant only as I hear it and certainly not a slam. Exhaust tone and individual preference is why there are so many offerings. There are definitely some that I like the tone of,
but know the volume would be too much for my neighbors and the times I come and go. I'm 100% sure I want an H setup though.

That was great posting two side by side comparisions.I have SOLO mids and GMPP street axleback. Your video was quite helpful for me as well as many others.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:58 PM   #30
flowmann

Drives: 1972 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66olds442 View Post
I have spent a lot of time here looking at videos and reading threads. First off, I want my Camaro to sound similar to my 442 which has that beautiful muscle car sound. I have seen this sound achieved on modern cars by removing the cats, which is most definitly illegal. I do want to hear an exhaust in person before I buy and I may wait till the fest before purchasing. This is the Texas law for exhaust,

"Inspect for and reject if:

a. The exhaust emission system has been removed.

b. The exhaust emission system has been disconnected.

c. The plumbing or hoses are loose, broken, leaking, or improperly routed.

d. Air pump (air injection-type) belt is loose, removed, excessively cracked, frayed or has pieces missing.

e. The exhaust emission system has been altered in any manner to make it ineffective.

f. The catalytic converter has been removed, leaking, or disconnected on a 1984 or later model vehicle."

If I move out of Texas (I'm in the military) would having no cats be possible if I keep the car registered in Texas? If not and removing the cats is worth it, I can get my car registered in California and have my brother make it pass Smog.

What exhaust should I look for to achieve that sound? If anyone who reads this is in the Austin or San Antonio area, I would make the drive on a weekend just to hear your exhaust.

Lastly performace is equally important, I will be pairing this with the Vararam and Ported TB.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Hey 66Olds442,
Caverman has done his homework. He’s right about the LS engine, it will sound different than other engines, especially your Oldsmobile. You’ll have to do a lot research to find exactly what you want in an exhaust note. Just about every exhaust option for the 5th gen Camaro has been done and recorded to a video.

If you don’t like the Flowmaster or Hushpower bolt-on kits, there are custom options posted by other members in this thread. Be aware that some of these cars have headers and that will change the sound if you’re not running headers.
flowmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:55 PM   #31
jsharp
NOW CAMMED & SUPERCHARGED

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black w/ IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
Cheap, easy, and does not conflict with any of your requirements: X-pipe, resonator/muffler delete.

WOW its sounds like a squiling pig lol I think its just a girl screaming though!
Livernois Motorsports: Maggie 2300 7psi, Livernois 2C cam/L99 to LS3 Conversion, Ported TB, Rotofab w/adm race scoop, adm trans cooler,Kooks headers no cats, Kooks 3" exhaust. METCO breather. Precision 2400 Vigilante TC. Eibach Lowering Springs & Swaybars. BMR Trailing arms, BMR Rear Cradle Bushings, BMR Toe Rods, BMR Differential bushings. Vossen CV3 20's w/ 305 Mickey Thompson @25psi. Zl1 front bumper. OE Zl1 Hood and matte black insert. 556RWHP/500RWTQ L99
jsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:56 PM   #32
fee5fofum

Drives: 2012 CTS-V Coupe & 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
Cheap, easy, and does not conflict with any of your requirements: X-pipe, resonator/muffler delete.

I also went cheap and easy with a muffler delete / X-pipe set up :

http://img837.imageshack.us/g/cfd.mp4/
Old 03-12-2011, 10:39 AM   #33
Bell040

Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
you dont need exhaust... you need a low LSA cam.

maybe the "THUMPR" cam that Comp Cams makes.
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:56 PM   #34
ilovehooters1385

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
ya check out magnaflow 14683 i think the part number is... sounds better and better everyday i really noticed the true ound about 2000 miles with the new catback on..... now i have my KOOKS LT arriving any day now im soooo excited ill let u know how mean it is
Old 03-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #35
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell040 View Post
you dont need exhaust... you need a low LSA cam.

maybe the "THUMPR" cam that Comp Cams makes.
I was wondering why nobody was mentioning camshafts... I'd think that would be the first step in making your car sound more old school. But I haven't done either a camshaft or exhaust mod to my car yet, so I can't really comment. I was just surprised it took so long for anybody to mention a camshaft.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44147

Check out themossman's video....

Old 10-24-2014, 04:43 AM   #36
thomsa-pau

Drives: Drives like stock if you tippy toe
Send a message via ICQ to thomsa-pau Send a message via Skype™ to thomsa-pau
believe me this car is good sound not any one have this quality sound and racing speed sorry don't have time now to describe soon tell you about this car and more amazing facts... because i have own this car.. cheersss and keep sharing..

Last edited by thomsa-pau; 10-24-2014 at 04:43 AM. Reason: For Some correction and detail.
thomsa-pau is offline   Reply With Quote