Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-23-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
When turning, the rear end feels like it is fighting the turn

I'm not sure if this is a 'problem' or if it is just the way these cars work...
When making a turn I notice the rear end of the car kindof fighting the turn. Like one of the rear wheels doesnt really want to make the turn. It is much more noticeable making a right hand turn under power (not coasting through the turn). In left hand turns it makes it feel a bit unstable, like the rear end might break loose even though it should not be even close to doing so.

I have been assuming it is just the rear differential setup that does this but is it normal?
Old 03-23-2011, 06:12 PM   #2
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Doesn't sound normal at all. Even stock mine railed really well for a big dog....
Any noises that would indicate something loose? Tires pressures? Even though it is new doesn't mean the alignment is right....

Just my .02...
Old 03-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
chvyman

Drives: 2SS 45TH,gfx,blade spoiler,h grille
diff. tight

the clutches in the old posi-tracs used to lock up to a point and break loose giving you an unsettling feeling. You used to have to add a limited slip lubricant to the differential. I think the new camaros also require this lube. I would let the dealer know and they should warrentee it.
chvyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:05 AM   #4
jtzako

No odd noises or anything, and it does have Rear Diff lube/additive in there. This 'issue' existed both before and after rear diff fluid change. I probably need to go drive another SS and see if that one feels the same as mine.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:40 AM   #5
hypurone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtzako View Post
No odd noises or anything, and it does have Rear Diff lube/additive in there. This 'issue' existed both before and after rear diff fluid change. I probably need to go drive another SS and see if that one feels the same as mine.
I didn't see that you had a fluid change. What was used? Mobil 1 LS? I have heard complaints of chatter with other fluids like Redline and Royal Purple with or without the GM additive...

How long since the fluid change? You may just need more miles to get the fluid worked into the clutch packs fully.... In my truck's posi unit I had to literally drive around in circles for 5-10 mins each way to flush the clutch packs and get it to behave well.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:34 AM   #6
jtzako

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
I didn't see that you had a fluid change. What was used? Mobil 1 LS? I have heard complaints of chatter with other fluids like Redline and Royal Purple with or without the GM additive...

How long since the fluid change? You may just need more miles to get the fluid worked into the clutch packs fully.... In my truck's posi unit I had to literally drive around in circles for 5-10 mins each way to flush the clutch packs and get it to behave well.
It did this before the fluid change as well, and still does over 3k miles after the change. Mobil 1 LS was used, + the additive since without the additive it made a ton of noise.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:36 AM   #7
hypurone

Quote:
It did this before the fluid change as well, and still does over 3k miles after the change. Mobil 1 LS was used, + the additive since without the additive it made a ton of noise.
Then if it really is the diff causing the noise, there is something wrong and a visit to the dealer is in order if under warranty....
Old 03-24-2011, 10:09 AM   #8
jtzako

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
Then if it really is the diff causing the noise, there is something wrong and a visit to the dealer is in order if under warranty....
As I already, said, there is no noise.. it just feels odd when turning under power.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:20 AM   #9
cdn2usa

Drives: 2010 2SS
I changed to Royal Purple with no extra additive (it's already in it) at 4k. Never had any issues you describe now a year later with 25k.
Hurst Shifter,CAI,Vmax throttle body, Kooks LT Headers, High Flow Cats,Borla Touring Axle Back, ADM Scoop, Washwater relocation,Diablo Predator(c/w Ted's Magic), Custom start defeat switch, painted engine cover, shark fin & bow ties, ABL lighting, Rear Camera.
cdn2usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:51 AM   #10
hypurone

Quote:
As I already, said, there is no noise.. it just feels odd when turning under power.
Sorry, really tired. If you have verified tire pressures etc and nothing is physically loose, then you either have an alignment prob or just not used to the rather sloppy IRS these things have...
Old 03-24-2011, 02:58 PM   #11
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
If it were mine, I'd try 1 qt of Royal Purple Max Gear. With nothing else added, that stuff already contains the correct amount of LS additive. Or your could use the GM lube and GM additive. Then go to a parking lot and do 10 slow figure 8s. Not circles, but figure 8's.

If it still acts up after that, then I'd have a dealer check it out. It sounds like the clutches are binding, and normally a lube refresh with the correct amount of LS additive and then the figure 8s corrects it. Too little or too much additive, or wore out LS additive can cause that problem.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote