Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-01-2011, 12:14 PM   #99
Neozyne

Drives: Cyber Gray SS
April Fools!
Neozyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:29 PM   #100
Mark Myles

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM / Silver Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
They confirmed emphatically that the modifications that were performed would not have an adverse impact on the oil pump operation.

Moss, one avenue you may wish to look at.

If GM will not cover the oil pump under warranty, you may wish to have the car inspected or repaired by a Certified mechanic of your choice. I would then have the mechanic diagnose the issue with the oil pump. If found faulty, you will have the part, any TSB on this problem and the expert mechanic on your side. You will need a detailed affidavit from the mechanic. Then simply file a small claims suit or have your attorney send the bill for the repairs to GM.

Just because GM is big and has lawyers at their beck & call does NOT give them preferential treatment or free reign over Judges in a court room. If you believe that, you must believe in fairy tales.

M
Mark Myles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:31 PM   #101
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Recalls and TSB's are also rendered invalid due to the terms of the contract. This same rule applies with all retail purchases.
Sorry, but you are wrong.

Recalls are MANDATORY, regardless of warranty status. The dealership is required by law to fix vehicles with recalls on them. It doesn't matter if the vehicle is a week old or 10 years old.

As for TSB's, they are more of a grey area, so in this case, I won't debate it. However, he still can make a case in court that they have on record prior to his vehicle ever being seen in the dealership, that this issue existed on other models. On that evidence alone, he could win a case.

All of our debating is for nothing really, if the issue with his oil pump has zilch to do with the TSB.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #102
67 Convertible

Drives: 67 Camaro Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neozyne View Post
April Fools!
I'm sure themossman wishes it was an April Fools joke.
1100 - 4/28/09
2000 - 5/01/09
2500 - 5/05/09
3000 - 5/05/09
3300 - 5/30/09
3400 - 6/05/09
3800 - 6/18/09
4000 - 6/18/09
4B00 - 6/18/09
4200 - 6/22/09
5000 - 7/01/09
6000 - 7/01/09 It's Home!!
0000 - 7/14/11 Traded in with 24,000 miles. Currently 5th Gen less
67 Convertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #103
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post

Recalls are MANDATORY, regardless of warranty status. The dealership is required by law to fix vehicles with recalls on them. It doesn't matter if the vehicle is a week old or 10 years old.

mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:57 PM   #104
ADV.1 Matt

Drives: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab2g View Post
Unfortunately, with something as minor as replacing an oil pump, your legal fees will most likely outweigh the cost to repair. Lawyers run from $150/hr to hundreds or thousands. So good luck keeping any legal action under a few hours.
Agreed. In my case though the engine threw a rod and was destroyed so it was worth the cost.
ADV.1 Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:06 PM   #105
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post

As for TSB's, they are more of a grey area, so in this case, I won't debate it. However, he still can make a case in court that they have on record prior to his vehicle ever being seen in the dealership, that this issue existed on other models. On that evidence alone, he could win a case.

All of our debating is for nothing really, if the issue with his oil pump has zilch to do with the TSB.
Not all recalls are mandatory, only recalls for safety issues are mandated. There are two types of recalls, voluntary and mandated. The vast majority you see are voluntary, in order to reduce manufacture liability. In the case of the oil pump, it would not be considered a safety issue.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:40 PM   #106
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Myles View Post
Moss, one avenue you may wish to look at.

If GM will not cover the oil pump under warranty, you may wish to have the car inspected or repaired by a Certified mechanic of your choice. I would then have the mechanic diagnose the issue with the oil pump. If found faulty, you will have the part, any TSB on this problem and the expert mechanic on your side. You will need a detailed affidavit from the mechanic. Then simply file a small claims suit or have your attorney send the bill for the repairs to GM.

Just because GM is big and has lawyers at their beck & call does NOT give them preferential treatment or free reign over Judges in a court room. If you believe that, you must believe in fairy tales.

M

What you are describing is in progress.

The tear-down is being documented as we speak. I've spoken with an attorney and they recommend filing in small claims in local court. This is all precautionary...if the issue is remotely related to my mods...I won't pursue any further.

If it is related to the TSP...there's potentially bigger implications. This is not a cheap fix...for any one of us...whether we cause a potential warranty issue with aftermarket parts or a car has 'naturally' fallen out of warranty due to time or mileage. There's a TSP out of this pump gentleman...and regardless of the opinion on whether or not I voided the entire warranty wholesale...you could be facing the same issue a couple of years down the road even if you haven't TOUCHED your car.

Current estimate from dealer including validation of no internal damage is now ~$1700. Tick tock...tick tock...
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:48 PM   #107
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
1700 yeesh...
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:57 PM   #108
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
1700 yeesh...
I have a whole big brother thing going on right now too....I just logged onto my bank account to move some funds around and the dealership quote mirrored my checking account balance to ~$20....hmmmmmmmm

lol
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Old 04-01-2011, 02:07 PM   #109
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
Neither of those statements is in contradiction to my current position or issue. As I mentioned, if this was an issue without a TSP and it was related to the modifications I've made...I wouldn't be pursuing this AT ALL.
You publicly stated you that you didn't care about your warranty (an admission that you knew you voided it) and now want that warranty. I believe the statement about not caring is in direct contradiction to what you want now.

TSB or not, you stated that you didn't care if you were covered...
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:12 PM   #110
tokyov

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkObsession View Post
Everyone likes to bring up the Magnuson Moss act and say that you have to prove that the part caused the failure, etc. etc. but when I read it, it doesn't say anything about that.

All it says as related to aftermarket parts is that GM can't deny you warranty if you decide to not use an AC Delco oil filter on your car or drop a Fram air filter in there. It doesn't say anything about extensive aftermarket modifications being protected and/or having to prove if the part caused the failure.

I could just be mis-reading it but if someone could point out the exact section that says that GM should cover heavily modified cars, I'd appreciate it.

Thats because your not a lawyer.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...ts/alt192.shtm
tokyov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:15 PM   #111
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Not all recalls are mandatory, only recalls for safety issues are mandated. There are two types of recalls, voluntary and mandated. The vast majority you see are voluntary, in order to reduce manufacture liability. In the case of the oil pump, it would not be considered a safety issue.
In either case however, the dealership/company is still required to fix it.

The difference is that in a voluntary situation the company has admitted a problem and recalled it versus the problem becoming such an issue that the government has stepped in and mandated it.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:40 PM   #112
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTucker View Post
You publicly stated you that you didn't care about your warranty (an admission that you knew you voided it) and now want that warranty. I believe the statement about not caring is in direct contradiction to what you want now.

TSB or not, you stated that you didn't care if you were covered...
I didn't state that I 'didn't care'...and I don't want GM to warranty ANY PART that was affected by my modifications (which include MOST of the internals). However...the oil pump would not be unaffected by the mods UNLESS it was re-installed incorrectly (and after 11k miles...there's no way it was re-installed incorrectly).

I understand your opinion and can appreciate the direction your trying to take it, however, you trying to use broad generalizations when I'm discussing details. Apples and Oranges.