Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-02-2011, 12:07 PM   #71
camarobrah

Drives: camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by INTIMIDAT3R View Post
You both "feel". Want some cheese with that whine?

The officer saw the possibility of illegal tint and pulled you over. THAT, my dear, is Probable Cause.
True. Been living in a military family for 20 years, Ive experienced my fair share of "Out of state" Harrasment. EVERYTIME I go ANYWHERE with out of state plates while moving or not, I always would get pulled over and spread across the coals.

unfortunately you cannot tell the difference between 35% and 25% from a distance very easily, and if it was illegal he would have to do a roadside tint test using a machine. A police officer by no means can use anything other than Reasonable suspicion which holds lower than probable cause which are not the same. A "Hunch" falls into reasonable suspicion and seems it would be possible that it could be "Illegal tint", but although is not law abiding action and cannot be held against anyone which ive had to use against officers MANY times before. "We just do this as a precaution" does not fall into law and order unless there is a legit concrete reason as either you were speeding or turned without a signal which would undergo Probable cause and wont hold up well in court.

I suggest you take it to court, as I was given a $1000 ticket for being out of state as just moving to texas with out of state plates and license. He said I was doing 12 over in a school zone which was not true and wrote me a handfull of everything. I had to get it all taken off with a short, straight up aurgument.
camarobrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:25 PM   #72
streetshark
Bringin' The Pain

Drives: 2031 ZL1 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
However, when you get cops that say things like "all out of state cops are getting tickets now, because my girl got one" or the cop that openly admits "NO COPS GET TICKETS FROM ME!!"... it makes us all look really bad. If you feel that way..ok, but keep it to yourself.
Well said. Your posts have saved me from a whole lotta typing.
streetshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:42 PM   #73
SSpeedFreak

Drives: 95 Chevy CapriceSS
When I had my 90 Mazda 626 with 5% tint, id get pulled over for my system bein loud and is roll ALL the windows down no matter the weather and have never gotten a ticket for tint. Maybe next time you should do the same. And when i get my maro, I WILL tint it out with 20 or 30% all around. IIRC reading a post before, if the back window isn't a worry, then tint that with in legal limit and blackout the others, and when you get pulled over roll all windows down...jus my .02
SSpeedFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:47 PM   #74
anglwngss
Texas Camaros

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfield03 View Post
Ah. Thanks for the explanation. Its pretty cool talking to law enforcement when they aren't behind me. Lol.

+100

Though I cant' think of anything specifically right now, I usually have questions I'd like to ask, but a) I'm not going to ask when I get pulled over and b) I'm not going into my local precinct and start asking around either.

ps.

Off all the tickets I've ever gotten, none of the cops were asses and I've deserved every one. Also, I'm fairly certain... I've done a LOT of things I've never gotten ticketed for too.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:01 PM   #75
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSpeedFreak View Post
When I had my 90 Mazda 626 with 5% tint, id get pulled over for my system bein loud and is roll ALL the windows down no matter the weather and have never gotten a ticket for tint. Maybe next time you should do the same. And when i get my maro, I WILL tint it out with 20 or 30% all around. IIRC reading a post before, if the back window isn't a worry, then tint that with in legal limit and blackout the others, and when you get pulled over roll all windows down...jus my .02

cops aren't stupid. you might have thought that by rolling all the windows he/she didn't realize you had tinted windows. A lot of times cops will give you a break on a correctable infraction. A break in this case is to cite you for being loud only and give you a break on having to go through the trouble of removing the tint. So pay an move on. Its a lot easier to turn the radio down than it is to remove window tint

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:05 PM   #76
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
This thread has taken a turn for the better...

Personally.. I like the smell of fresh cut grass, bacon in the morning, and often play fetch with my german shepherd. I also like "chillin" on the beach, college football, and women in heels assuming they do not have busted feet.. I play PS3 when my wife goes to sleep because she b--ches at me about playing games, spending too much time here and on my camaro.

I have to pay mortgage, cell phone bills, water/electric/cable, and I pay 200 bucks a month for my wife's health insurance ... no, not because she is sick. No, I get to pay upward of 200 because she just MIGHT have a baby in the next 5 years. I bought a Camaro for over 40k, and have put thousands of dollars into it... logically my purchase was rather unnecessary. However, it makes me happy.

Hi everyone! Do I sound like any of you? Like a human being? Actually ..you would be wrong. Based on the opinion of this thread, I am not.... I am only an asshole for doing a job that is funded, regulated, and work to enforce laws that are written by people YOU ALL willingly elect without doing research of the motives or background and feel justified in ridiculing a cop.

I often wonder the age bracket of many of these users that complain about this meaningless bull crap. Are tint tickets cheesy? yes, however that does not make a cop an a-hole. YOU and only YOU knew what was illegal when you installed tint, in fact most tint suppliers WARN their customers, yet you still did it.

Take a look in the mirror people, we are human beings doing a job that YOU, the American people established. Shut up, grow up, and take some responsibility.

/thread
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:06 PM   #77
Hollywood2010

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Quote:
Let me see if I am following this correctly...

You have 20% tint... which is illegal here in Central FL which is where your status says you live. (hope I am still following... I am a little stupid).

From what I gather, and someone for GA may correct me, 20% is illegal there as well...

You drove through a state with illegal tint, FLORIDA.. left the state... entered another state where that level of tint is STILL illegal, GEORGIA... and you reply with the whole "cops are a-holes there". Why are they a-holes? Because they enforce traffic laws mandated by people who are NOT cops? GA state troopers are notorious for being strict.. that doesn't make them jerks. You man is a cop and you STILL drop that line?

You are trying to get a ticket dismissed because.... why? Because your boyfriend didn't get the ticket. So you want the cop to illegally issue him the ticket? GA state laws hold the driver and the driver ONLY responsible for equipment violations.. the only ticket a passenger can receive in regards to vehicle issue is EXPIRED TAG. That is all...

.... here is where my sympathy for you ends. You have illegal tint here where you live, YOUR BOYFRIEND KNEW IT WAS ILLEGAL and he pissed at a cop for following proper protocol and restrictions that he HAS TO FOLLOW and your b/f does the ...exact....same.... job. With your logic, a drug dealer could buy a car.. tint the windows illegally and sit passenger and no one should ever be ticketed? Because legally that cop CANNOT issue him one. That same dealer can buy 5 cars, tint them all illegally.. but never drive and no one gets a ticket because they aren't the owners?

.... I apologize if I come off rude or disrespectful, just not a fan of having people say cops are a-holes for doing their jobs. Jobs mandated and funded by civilians... and the kicker is, he is an LEO who knew better than anyone what he did was illegal. Have your boyfriend pay YOUR ticket, it is a non moving violation. No points... no insurance involvement so no rate increase... You and he both tinted your cars knowing it was at illegal levels.. I am sorry, but move on with life. A sgt should not have the capability to recall a citation. It is the officer's call and his alone until court...

If my wife gets a ticket with or without me in the vehicle as she drives my camaro, I will pay her ticket.. and I will know it was my fault and mine alone.

... here is the reality in the situation. Your boyfriend doesn't think he should have gotten the ticket... your boyfriend thinks because he was a cop NO ONE should have gotten a ticket. I invite either of you to tell me I am wrong. Pay to play...
Very well said. As I was reading the post I was thinking about how I was gonna go off about all the issues. I'm afraid my post would have been quite rude. Glad I read yours.

As a fellow police officer I must say that I personally would not have issued the cite. That being said, while I'd love to have dark window tint on my car I had to find the lightest possible. My car meters at 49%. Legal limit in Ohio is 50% +/- 3%, so I am legal.

Was it a cheap ticket...yeah, probably. As the vehicle owner is a copper he knew the risks and took them. Instead of being mad...have him pay the ticket...it doesnt carry any points anyway.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:15 PM   #78
Hollywood2010

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman 2011 ss View Post
Ok so much like with a speeding summons & radar there is now a tintmeter that cops carry to check tint. How common is a tintmeter to the average patrol officer or is it only state troopers & highway officers?
Damn the job has changed since I retired.
They are very common. I have one in my cruiser that never leaves. It is a Laser Labs 100. They only cost around $100 so there are many in use everyday by officers everywhere.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:19 PM   #79
FDNY-L107

Drives: 2020 COPO #006
Quote:
Originally Posted by spurscar View Post
Yep, which would be why I stuck with 30% film in my state where 27% is legal.

Sucks, but eh... what really needs to be federally mandated is that what's legal in
the state the car is registered in is legal in any state. It's horsecrap that they can
write you a ticket if you're passing through another state.

In fact, my tint shop guy said that in Chicago any tint is illegal and it was like a $25
fine for a while. Then they changed the law, made it $300 and a "parking violation" -
for out of state folks too. So if I park my Camaro in a meter in Chicago as a tourist
some meter B can come along and slap a $300 ticket on it for the tint.
You are spot on....I thought you could only be ticketed in the state you reside in and/or car is registered in.

Need to call by buddy up on this - he is a PA State Trooper.

Never mind......after reading through this entire thread, I realize I can get a cite for my 20% tint beyond my state. No worries, I'll accept it, remove it and go back to a legal tint range. I did plan ahead for this and took out "insurance" on my tint install - which, on an issuance of a cite, my installer will remove and apply legal tint at no addtional charge (outside the tint itself). -- ie. free installation. Worth the $25 bucks it cost.

Thanks - some very constructive posts here.
2020 COPO #006, John Force Edition 5.7 SC
Gone, but not forgotten:
*2019 ZL1 755WHP/782RWTQ
*2011 LS V6 375HP, 6 speed
*1994 Camaro V6, 5 speed
*1985 IROC Z 5.0TPI (special factory ordered 1st new car)
*1979 Z-28 4-speed 350
*1975 Camaro 350 Auto (first car owned)
RESERVED:
*2023 Hummer EV 3X Pickup
*2024 Hummer EV 3X SUV

Last edited by FDNY-L107; 05-02-2011 at 01:49 PM.
FDNY-L107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:54 PM   #80
camaroracing2834
Mike, Go Yanks & Giants!!

Drives: Use to drive 2010 Camaro LLT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie7 View Post
Thankfully not in my camaro but in my b/f's charger. It has 20% tint all the way around. We were traveling from Florida to Indiana last week and got pulled over in Georgia (cops r a******* there). I was driving... My b/f is a deputy here in florida and identified himself as a cop and told this guy that it was HIS car. Cop gave a ticket anyways. Now my b/f is really angry not b/c of the ticket b/c he knows his tint is illegal but b/c the cop gave it to me instead of him. Since he is the registered owner, the ticket should've went to him and not me.

So now I have a $197 ticket we are trying to get dismissed based on this. We shall see. My camaro has the same 20% tint all the way around plus smoked black outs on the front. Good thing I'm not taking her through Georgia anytime soon
Welcome to the Rebellion! you still have much to learn my young Jedi!!!! lol
camaroracing2834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:41 PM   #81
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
I have a tip for all of you....

Roll your windows down about half way ... just so we can see your head. You will almost never be stopped.. Or you could just do what everyone else does... roll them all the way down, let your arms hang out, and enjoy the ride.
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:15 PM   #82
camaroracing2834
Mike, Go Yanks & Giants!!

Drives: Use to drive 2010 Camaro LLT/RS
WARNING! assholes are closer then they appear! He He
camaroracing2834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:28 PM   #83
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:

Roll your windows down about half way ... just so we can see your head. You will almost never be stopped.. Or you could just do what everyone else does... roll them all the way down, let your arms hang out, and enjoy the ride.
We usually do roll with the windows down but 70 miles an hour on the interstate with 3 kids in the back, yea not gonna happen.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:37 PM   #84
SSpeedFreak

Drives: 95 Chevy CapriceSS
Quote:

Imo, good tip, especially from a LEO him self...
SSpeedFreak is offline   Reply With Quote