Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-21-2011, 08:23 PM   #29
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Wow -- Doc - what a GREAT story - and I'm so glad you posted it - because I'd never heard the stories about those young men at Iwo Jima -

This illustrates my point - HOW do we ensure that America NEVER FORGETS???

You know... - I'd love to get everyone in the Camaro Community to start flying the American Flag (......and for our Canadian neighbors..... the Canadian Flag) every day........

After 9/11 it seemed that seeing so many Flags being flown was a 'salve' for the wounds.......and yet so many people stopped flying them after a year or so.........why?

My father has always flown the flag - 24/7/365......and when I would purchase a new home, one of the first things I'd do is go to the store and purchase a flag and pole - along with a light to keep it illuminated at night......

How 'bout it Camaro Comrades???
Absolutely. We fly a flag at the house all of the time unless the weather is so poor that it would ruin the flag. We fly a flag that was flown at the Capitol. :flag1: We owe it to our defenders.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:35 PM   #30
scruffyluv
CB5thGEN

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS BRM 1LE, 05 Trailblazer
we use to fly one 24/7 till a bad storm came through and knocked the pole too loose. Hub hasnt had a chance to recement it.... and I think once he gets home, just in time for Memorial Day... is the time to do it.
scruffyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:42 PM   #31
halo8hkk

Drives: 2000 Z28. 2010 1SS IMB.
That is way cool

2010 1SS/RS = Mysstique
Whipple Supercharger
Dyno= 618hp 555tq at the wheels
IMB Silver Stripes
VIN#44025
Born: 9/9/09 Delivered: 9/28/09
halo8hkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:45 AM   #32
Amenti

Drives: 2017 1SS Convertible
Stories like this always make me proud to have served my country in the United States Army, having been part of a time-honored tradition of duty and valor that is lost on so many of our nation's youth these days.

It seems very much that children (and some adults) are inundated with trivial concerns of the fleeting present. I'm barely in my early 30's now, and I can hardly relate to many people my own age; because, they have no sense of the history and legacy that make our country great, or the sacrifices made by those who came before us.

It reminds me of a quote, which I read for the first time on simple printed piece of paper hanging in a plain frame next to the chow line:

"Poor is the nation that has no heroes, but beggard is the Nation that has and forgets them."
-Anonymous

I, for one, would like to go on remembering =)

Appearance Mods: RiderGraphix LS7 Front Fascia Blackout Vinyl, Gill Insert Vinyl, Rear Deck Lid Vinyl (Gloss Black), Gary's Customs Painted Bowties

Coming Soon: BMR Trailing Arms
Amenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:16 AM   #33
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Oh My... what an honor to meet Mr. Glenn McDuffie. THANKS for Sharing this...:flag2:

Old Glory at my house was beginning to fade so we'll have a brand new Stars & Stripes for this Memorial Day.:flag1:
Old 05-22-2011, 07:38 AM   #34
GMGP5X

Drives: 2011 2LT RS VR 2008 Silverado 2500
We fly the flag 24/7 /365. God Bless the USA.
Attached Images

2LT RS VR / ARK DTS Cat back exhaust / Roto-Fab CAI / RPI stealth mud guards /Defender works billet chrome door sills/ DIY painted engine cover, trunk corners, and brake rotors / RX catch can / Team LLT badges. Team LLT

Last edited by GMGP5X; 05-22-2011 at 08:16 AM.
GMGP5X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:44 AM   #35
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
:flag2:
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:11 AM   #36
Partick

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
My dad was too young to serve in WWII but he had three brothers who did, all survived and were the best uncles a kid could have. My dad made sure we flew the flag every day at our house, he installed a flag pole in planter next to the driveway and every morning one of us had to raise the flag before breakfast and two of us had to lower it and fold it before bedtime. We were the only house in our neighborhood to have a flag pole.

When I got married and bought my first house my dad bought me a flag pole and a flag and my kids raised and lowered the flag everyday as I did.

God bless our voluntary armed forces for the courage and sacrafice!
Partick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:25 AM   #37
xpanda305x
Banned

Drives: Dark Knight
God bless his soul! not gonna lie a few tears came out :"(
xpanda305x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:45 PM   #38
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1966 TBird conv.
Thank you for posting this story. It did bring tears to my eyes.
I had a wonderful Dad who was an Air Force career officer and I grew up being an officers brat. I grew up on Air Force bases, many countries, and too many adddresses to remember. Now at age 60 still a military brat. My Dad died in 1995, and still today I miss talking to him. Guess I am also a car nut due to my father.
My Dad never talked war stories. Years after he died my aunt researched his many medals and I was shocked to discover what all those medals represented. Then after my aunt died my cousin and I found old newspaper clippings my aunt had saved during the war years, regarding my father. Now I understand why my Dad suffered from PTSD his entire adult life.
I have always been proud of my Dad but until the last 5 years never fully understood what he experienced in WWII and Korea, and some degree VN affected him for the remainder of his life.
Yes, I am one of those liberals that question our government why we are involved in a ten year war without the option of a victory. But I am also one liberal that never questions the dedication of North American vets that fight for freedom, fight for freedom of all people.
Most people on this board never lost freedoms we expect. I had been living for a year and working in the ME 9/11. I know first hand what it is like to loose personal freedom. Also my life long companion, the love of my life, died 9/11, and I watched live on CNN. I don't hate any group of people, I do hate extremists regardless of their agenda when they want to force us to believe as they do.
I grew up in the military, respect my father and his war efforts. My father also taught me to wisely pick my battles if I wanted to win.
My father, a vet of many wars, was a wise man.
abaucom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:40 PM   #39
vdevine

Drives: 2010 Black SS
Scott, it was a pleasure to meet you, Mickey and Glenn at the Pentagon. Thanks for sharing.
3800 Born: 25 May VIN#12136
6000 Mine 26 June 2009
SLP Loudmouth II, NOWEEDS, BMR 1.4/1.0 Lowering Springs, Cold Air Inductions Intake, Tune, Eagle Eyes w HID, SLP "SS" Grille Insert, Pistol Grip Shifter, Hawk PC Pads, RGB Scanner, Tint, Headlight Armor, Clear Bra, 22's.
vdevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:24 PM   #40
"prima"Donna
HWAY STR

Drives: 2010 RJT VIN#7085 & 2014 CRT C7
What a breathtakingly poignant story, Mr Fbodfather!!!

We owe the men and women in the military our sincere thanks and praise every day for the job that they do to protect all of us, safe and sound here at home

:flag1: May God bless them, always :flag2:

Thank you seems like such a small word for such a big sacrifice

My Dad was a proud WWII Navy Veteran that served aboard the USS San Francisco in the South Pacific...he enlisted when he was a mere 'child' of only 17...he had to get his mother's permission, since he was underage

He never really talked about any of it, and we didn't press him for details, in case it was too painful for him to talk about :(

Sadly, he passed away in 2008, and I still miss him every single day, and will continue to miss him until the day we are reunited again in heaven, hopefully, a long time from now
Old 05-22-2011, 11:42 PM   #41
mrh923

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS/M6 Cyber Gray Met.
Great story. I just love listening to Vets tell their stories. It gives me chills. Thank God for people like Glenn.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:03 AM   #42
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
That's a wonderful story, God bless our active military and our vets.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote