Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 06-01-2011, 01:40 PM   #15
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Well there are more factors that play into bar stiffness than bar diameter. It's certainly a piece of the equation, but it shouldn't be the final decision maker. We engineer our Race Bars to meet the stiffness we are looking for at the lightest weight possible. Relatively speaking you should run a higher rate in the rear to maintain proper balance, too much front bar and you'll find yourself pushing all over the place.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:52 PM   #16
TC

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS-RS
You said with a endlink disconnected. Does that mean just one of the fronts or did you mean both the front endlinks?
TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:43 PM   #17
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC View Post
You said with a endlink disconnected. Does that mean just one of the fronts or did you mean both the front endlinks?
When you disconnect one front endlink the bar is no longer functional so just one is all you need. You do need to secure it so it doesn't foul with any lines of hard parts. When you remove a nut from an endlink, even a Nyloc, they should be replaced a they lose quench.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:39 PM   #18
markssylver

Drives: 95 bbb impala ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Ouch! Was there any damage to the wheels?
The front wheel has a little flat spot on the outside lip about 2 inches long and the rear has a chunk about the size of a quarter missing on the outside llip
markssylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:07 PM   #19
Hotchkis

Drives: 1st through 5th gen Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
After my first AutoX event I can see I'm going to need some sway bars so I'm starting my research.

I started looking and as of now I'm looking at BMR, Hotchkis, or Pfadt. One thing I noticed is that is looks like the BMR front bar is adjustable but both the Hotchkis and Pfadt are not.

Off the top of my head I would think it would be good to have the adjustable ones in the front for choosing between driving on the street and then at the event. However, I'm not sure how easy it's going to be to make those changes. It might be more effort than worth and thus not really necessary.

Those with sway bars on a daily driver that go to the occasional AutoX event...are you changing the stiffness back and forth? How hard is it for front or rear?
Caverman – our rear sway bar is adjustable. You adjust it to change the effectiveness of the rear sway bar, which effectively changes the balance of the front and rear to your driving needs.

This video shows how to install the rear bar:

Watching the video you can get an idea of where the links are attached and how easy is it to adjust them.
Hotchkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:46 AM   #20
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by markssylver View Post
The front wheel has a little flat spot on the outside lip about 2 inches long and the rear has a chunk about the size of a quarter missing on the outside llip
It aligned so from a distance I'll say you are OK. The alignment tech did check to make sure there was no other damage?
Old 06-02-2011, 03:35 AM   #21
TC

With coilovers is there still any advantage to disconnecting the front sway bar?
Old 06-02-2011, 03:44 AM   #22
Ovenmitt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 RJT 1SS
Send a message via AIM to Ovenmitt
The reason you disconnect the front sway, is that it frees the arms' individual range of motion. Think of it this way, when both front a-arms are connected, they have to fight the body's weight when they want to extend fully, independant of each other (which is more or less how a swaybar is supposed to work). Your front suspension will not transfer weight evenly to the rear in a drag launch because a car chassis naturally wants to twist sideways opposite the torque application/rotation of the motor. Unbolting the sway allows both front a-arms to fully extend individually without having to fight each other by virtue of being linked and leveraged by the chassis. This improves and quickens weight transfer to the back of your car.

So, yes. Still an advantage. Coilovers have no effect on the swaybar in this scenario.
Ovenmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:39 AM   #23
markssylver

Drives: 95 bbb impala ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
It aligned so from a distance I'll say you are OK. The alignment tech did check to make sure there was no other damage?
I had it at a body shop and they couldn't find any other damage and I had it on my lift and didn't see anything I did time my bushings afterwards though
markssylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #24
TC

I was thinking more of the weight transfer you can get out of the coilovers by adjusting the damping.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:39 AM   #25
JusticePete

Quote:
With coilovers is there still any advantage to disconnecting the front sway bar?
Absolutely.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:39 AM   #26
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by markssylver View Post
I had it at a body shop and they couldn't find any other damage and I had it on my lift and didn't see anything I did time my bushings afterwards though
Great News.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:40 AM   #27
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovenmitt View Post
The reason you disconnect the front sway, is that it frees the arms' individual range of motion. Think of it this way, when both front a-arms are connected, they have to fight the body's weight when they want to extend fully, independant of each other (which is more or less how a swaybar is supposed to work). Your front suspension will not transfer weight evenly to the rear in a drag launch because a car chassis naturally wants to twist sideways opposite the torque application/rotation of the motor. Unbolting the sway allows both front a-arms to fully extend individually without having to fight each other by virtue of being linked and leveraged by the chassis. This improves and quickens weight transfer to the back of your car.

So, yes. Still an advantage. Coilovers have no effect on the swaybar in this scenario.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:42 AM   #28
JusticePete

Quote:
I was thinking more of the weight transfer you can get out of the coilovers by adjusting the damping.
This is particularly true with independent bound and rebound adjustable coilovers, but even they will benefit from a disconnected front sway bar.