Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-03-2011, 01:19 PM   #29
camaroitalia
Go Harder Than Baltimore!

Drives: 2010 CGM
i would buy the chevelle. why would it have to be 4 door? i dont understand why they made the charger like that either
Old 07-03-2011, 01:20 PM   #30
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroitalia View Post
i would buy the chevelle. why would it have to be 4 door? i dont understand why they made the charger like that either
Because there's already a two door RWD coupe in Chevrolet's lineup and a RWD sedan is more practical for a lot of people who want performance but still need to haul the kids around. The G8 was a very popular option for people like that.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:31 PM   #31
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Because there's already a two door RWD coupe in Chevrolet's lineup and a RWD sedan is more practical for a lot of people who want performance but still need to haul the kids around. The G8 was a very popular option for people like that.

The couple with one or two kids that wants a performance sedan, and also someone that needs more room than a Camaro. One reason the Monte Carlo was dropped was because the public did not wand a 2 door family car any more. The thunderbird a few years earlier fell to the same fate, although they tried to go back to it's roots and brought out a retro 2 seat T-Bird that also failed.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #32
StangKiller-SS

Drives: GM products
A 2-door performance coupe would only detract from the Camaro's sales. The four door and two door market are overall separate as they each offer something different. I also doubt the next gen Chevy mid/full size will be called Impala. I don't even think a car named Chevelle would have to live up to the 70 454 even though to purists and Chevelle buffs it definitely would. However the Charger was able to escape the negativity from having a rich past as a two door and being the General Lee now to being a sporty 4 door performance sedan.
StangKiller-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:40 PM   #33
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangKiller-SS View Post
A 2-door performance coupe would only detract from the Camaro's sales. The four door and two door market are overall separate as they each offer something different. I also doubt the next gen Chevy mid/full size will be called Impala. I don't even think a car named Chevelle would have to live up to the 70 454 even though to purists and Chevelle buffs it definitely would. However the Charger was able to escape the negativity from having a rich past as a two door and being the General Lee now to being a sporty 4 door performance sedan.
Next-gen full size will be Impala.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #34
y2k king

Drives: 2011 ss camaro
here's a chevelle.
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2011, 01:45 PM   #35
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by StangKiller-SS View Post
Even the new 2011 Charger had to incorporate styling cues from the old 68 Charger because people asked for it. Then you have all the Hemi crap they advertise. If that isn't trying to live up to the old Charger's reputation I don't know what is.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:47 PM   #36
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
hybrid
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #37
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
The reason?

Camaro was Chevy's #1 selling muscle car. If I remember correctly, Camaro outsold the Chevelle 4 to 1. Chevelle had how many submodels? 15-20. There were onle 3 or 4 of those models that would compete with the Camaro.

Although the Chevelle line sold 500,000k a year from 67-69, this included alot of 4 door models.

Reason why Chevy wont bring back the Chevelle? Name recognition and overall sales. Today, for every 10 first gen Camaros I see on the road, I see 1 or 2 Chevelles.
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:17 PM   #38
Amn_Bly

Drives: IBM 2LT A6
Send a message via Skype™ to Amn_Bly
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
In any case, any rumors of the current Commodore coming back to the states is irrelevant. The VF is on the way.
So the next generation Commodore is/maybe U.S. bond?
Amn_Bly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:42 PM   #39
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amn_Bly View Post
So the next generation Commodore is/maybe U.S. bond?
Maaaaybe.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #40
numbr3t

Drives: Waiting...
How about a 2 door rearwheel drive turbo'd Malibu?
numbr3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:57 PM   #41
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbr3t View Post
How about a 2 door rearwheel drive turbo'd Malibu?
In your dreams.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:20 PM   #42
Angelsilhouette

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS, Red Jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berean View Post
Note to Angel: The following is not directed at you personally, so no need to get defensive. Just quoting you as an example of this type argument.

I've heard this argument many times on this board, and I just don't get it.

The MORE options a customer has in a class of car from the same manufacturer, the better. As long as you're "poaching" sales from yourself, there's no problem.

If the logic is that you can poach sales from yourself holds, then having different models within a class must also be bad.

You could just as easily say the SS poaches sales from the V6. It does. But who cares, GM gets a sale regardless.

If the SS wasn't an option, many SS owners would still have bought a V6. But some wouldn't have and GM would lose some sales without an SS option.

Since GM ditched the Pontiac brand and they won't be offering a Firebird, I guarantee they have lost sales as a result. Not everyone who wanted a Firebird will buy a Camaro in it's place. Less options in the same class equals less sales.

Another case in point. GM sells the exact same truck along side each other branded as GMC and Chevy. They don't care which one you choose as long as you choose one. Eliminate one of the choices and GM will lose sales. Someone who wanted a GMC truck may look at the Chevy, but he also may look at the Ford. Now his choice is between a Chevy and Ford, not a Chevy and GMC.
Don't worry, I feel pretty similarly, I'm just relaying the information I was given.

However, I can see a point to what they mean and can understand them not wanting to release multiple cars in the same class. Especially after the bail outs.

In regards to the V6 and V8 Camaros, they would be considered options in the same vehicle. In regards to the V8 Camaro vs the Corvette, they are not considered to be in the same class of vehicle. In regards to GMC selling rebadged Chevys, while they are owned by the same parent company, they are independently managed and are considered separate entities able to sell the same products to people with brand loyalty. (If there are people out there stupid enough to hunt turkeys with varmint rounds and de-cock loaded shotguns by resting the barrel on the toe of their boot (My Grandfather and Uncle, respectively), then people are also stupid enough to not realise that certain GMCs are simply rebadged Chevys.)

Leaning more on the rebadging; as the Firebird was a re-badged (and restyled) camaro, if Pontiac still existed, I have no doubt you would definitely see a new firebird. They can excuse it because it's different brands. I'm sure if Chrysler wanted, they could make a Plymouth 'Cuda to "compete" with the Dodge Challenger using the branding as an excuse to release the two 2-door muscle cars, but they have to contend with the fact that it's still 2 of the same type of cars pitched to the same demographic and if they can't poach more customers from Ford and GM, they'll be left in the lurch if their existing Challenger customers don't go for the 'Cuda. That's something I don't think Chrysler is willing to risk, especially since the final decision would probably have to go through FIAT and they will probably be very critical of Chrysler until it can prove to be a money-maker again.

So GM will probably not allow Chevy to produce a parallel 2 door muscle car until the market and economy projections look like it can support it.

It all comes down to the bottom line, and if you want to look at who will make the ultimate decision in this matter, look to GM and Chevy's accountants.

Angelsilhouette is offline   Reply With Quote