Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-05-2011, 12:32 AM   #29
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
right. I'm not talking about those with stock airbox. But the difference from aftermarket to aftermarket is not worth it.
well I think it depends exactly what intake your switching from, members have noticed a difference, as the one I quoted said it was a night and day difference. If people want the difference, then its up to them to see if its worth it or not. But as far as it goes, the Vararam is different in terms of power
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:48 AM   #30
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
Really? all this for a couple of horsepower difference? Why not just stick with what you have?
Fair enough. Why not? I do like my CAI. It's built well easy to install and has livened up the car quite a bit. When I'm reading about ppl who have switched from intakes by Injen Airaid and sayin the difference between the VR and their old intake is night and day, I'm going to try and find out more about it. I'm sure one if the other colors below would like my CAI Inc intake lol.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:46 PM   #31
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
well I think it depends exactly what intake your switching from, members have noticed a difference, as the one I quoted said it was a night and day difference. If people want the difference, then its up to them to see if its worth it or not. But as far as it goes, the Vararam is different in terms of power
You guys have got to remember the ONLY thing that matters is dyno numbers and, preferably, track times.

You just spent $400 on a mod that's expected to increase power. Of course you are going to notice a difference. Even if there wasn't one, you'd probably "feel" a difference. Classic placebo effect here. Plus you want to justify your $400 purchase, so your mind tells you it's night and day. My butt told me my K&N was a huge power adder, and the same thing with my shorties. They aren't really that big of a performance gain, but in my mind on the drive home they added 50hp each.

I'm definitely not bashing the Vararam or saying it isn't good or capable of being exceptional. I just think we should be careful when judging a product on how it "feels"
Old 07-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #32
Camaro Freak

Drives: 2010 IOM 2LT 334HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
You guys have got to remember the ONLY thing that matters is dyno numbers and, preferably, track times.

You just spent $400 on a mod that's expected to increase power. Of course you are going to notice a difference. Even if there wasn't one, you'd probably "feel" a difference. Classic placebo effect here. Plus you want to justify your $400 purchase, so your mind tells you it's night and day. My butt told me my K&N was a huge power adder, and the same thing with my shorties. They aren't really that big of a performance gain, but in my mind on the drive home they added 50hp each.

I'm definitely not bashing the Vararam or saying it isn't good or capable of being exceptional. I just think we should be careful when judging a product on how it "feels"
Old 07-05-2011, 11:04 PM   #33
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Look guys. I'm not trying to sell anybody on the Vararam and I didn't spend $400 on it. I am going off of more than just feel compared to my old K&N, I'm going by IAT and how quick temps drop on the move and how close to the real temp it keeps it. By the way, I have to admit I do miss having the polished Typhoon in the engine bay. Was it worth 5-10hp or so more than what I had? That's for me to justify to me. I've spent more for less of a gain on other projects.
Others sound to be waiting on cooler weather to get their cars out, and to be honest, I am dragging my butt a little too, but this isn't my only project right now(1960 Chevy stepside body going onto a mid 90's Tahoe frame with 3/4 ton axles/suspension and a 454 pushing a 4-spd Muncie is one, '68 Camaro is finally looking like it's going in for some paint/body work and I'm stripping trim/glass/emblems/grill/you name it). I will be getting mine out soon even though I'm not expecting the miracle numbers out of it until the temps calm down.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:15 PM   #34
jlauber588

Drives: 2010 camaro
Kind of a noob here but is hydrolock a big issue/concern with a ram air intake?
jlauber588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:20 AM   #35
SIXJAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlauber588 View Post
Kind of a noob here but is hydrolock a big issue/concern with a ram air intake?
Don't quote me on this but no.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:34 AM   #36
SIXJAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Freak View Post
25+ HP gains??? Really now. Please show us Independent Dyno sheets of this from a outside source other than just individuals or Vararam boasting. Jannetty Racing proved the Injen's self worth with a independent test of 6 CAI's, all on the same car in the same day. I am sure the Vararam is a nice unit, but 25+ HP gains ain't happening IMO.
Well see there you go. Thank you for bringing me back down to earth. Was getting caught up in the moment I guess. 277 is nothing to sneeze at over the typical 235-260 stock dyno numbers I'm seeing. That is with some other mods as well though.

Judging by USA1's posting history he tends not to live in a world of hyperbole and fanboyisms so if he says he's seeing a night and day difference, then to me that means something. He was very critical of some of the process that Vararam went through bringing this product to market. I would think he would have put this on his car wearing a hat of skepticism not Vararam fanboyism.

But you are right. Let's see the cold hard numbers.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:14 AM   #37
SIXJAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post

I don't really have access to a dyno in my area. I will tell you that my car is able to to either maintain speed or even slowly pick up speed on hills that before my car in stock form would require a downshift to maintain speed. That matters. There is road that I have used to gage what speed I can get to by a certain distance. In stock form it would always reach 87-89 MPH pretty consistant. With the mods I've employed, I now reach 100+ mph. From 4000 RPM to redline it pulls hard. I also tried a burnout post mod and the car got sideways on me. It's never done that before. I get that all of this is jibberish to you without dyno sheets and track times cuz it's the internet and we can all fanboy our cars into ZR-1 killers.

My car is loud enough now that I think I automatically underplay the percieved performance gains particularly with the LT's and SOLO exhaust. I know this just isn't feel because it's doing things that it didn't previously do. I think if I can somehow add 50 RWHP over stock, I"ll be very close to 300 RWHP. Still searching for a dyno. My car stock is the fastest of all the 6 V6's we have. Here's me stock against the lone L99 and and one of the other V6 autos. I can always beat the L99 off the line but when we both shift into 2nd he's gone.

We've also run them all at the track. Mine ran a 14.7 with a trap speed of 94 MPH in garbage MO July weather. Only one of the other Camaros (the purple one-6AT) runs in the 14's. I think I lucked out and got a strong car to begin with. Obviously a dyno could further verify that perception but that's not a bad track time for a V6 running in 95% humidity and around 90 degrees at 1-ish am. It corrected out to I believe a 14.002 et with a trap speed of 99.9 MPH for those that love rice.

If the VR gives me 4-5 more HP than my CAI, I think that it's worth it. Heck I'm willing to trade my Random Tech HFC's for a set of SOLO HFC's because they flow better. Will those give me 5 more HP? Doubt it. Those cost 648.00 The TB upgrade if you keep the core is 350.00. That's for 2-4 HP and a flatter torque curve.

Last edited by SIXJAK; 07-06-2011 at 01:26 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:34 AM   #38
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Has the L99 Camaro been modded at all? Would be curious to see another air-strip run between you and it to see if the difference between how fast he runs away from you now compared to how it was before.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #39
SIXJAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Has the L99 Camaro been modded at all? Would be curious to see another air-strip run between you and it to see if the difference between how fast he runs away from you now compared to how it was before.

Yeah unfortunately our insurance guy was there too. He made it a point to NOT GO out from the terminal and watch because he would have had to report it if he'd seen it. He called our director of operations a couple of days later and informed of this fact. We have large commercial policies on the Camaros and for some reason they don't dig us running them WOT down runways LOL so if we do it again it will have to be out somewhere on the down low.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:15 PM   #40
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
I would have considered the Vararam if it was available last year (April 2010). However, I have to much time and effort into my current set-up to abandon the performance gains of a few ponies. Then again the INJEN has certainly not let me down either.
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #41
SIXJAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcat600man View Post
I would have considered the Vararam if it was available last year (April 2010). However, I have to much time and effort into my current set-up to abandon the performance gains of a few ponies. Then again the INJEN has certainly not let me down either.
Your engine bay looks very sharp. I"m in the process of dressing mine up. I do like the looks of the CAI ove the VR. The VR is a bit of a let down in the looks dept IMVHO. But the Mustang 5.0's aren't much to look at either but they sure get down the road LOL
Old 07-06-2011, 02:35 PM   #42
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
I'M the same as Rtcat. I have been working on the engine bay and would have to lose the rad cover, 190 down the toilet. Also would be my third intake, no thanks!
I just ordered my heritage grill and the lower grill and ducts from Stillen. I am going to check out that front duct area and maybe a air duct tube could run from the duct to the Injen filter for more of a directed blast of air like a ram air(sort of) besides the air coming in from the engine side down low as it does now. May help, may not
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote