Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-07-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
Synner

Drives: cars
Good hand applied sealant?

Looking for a good sealant that can be applied by hand. I'd probably use it on both the camaro which is more of a sunday driver as well as my daily driver. I'm not interested in any that need to be applied or buffed off by machine.

Looking for more durability and longevity than only wax. Gloss isn't as big of a primary concern as durability and ease of application. I also don't see myself spending $80 for a tiny bottle of something although I may consider it if enough people sing its praises.

Also, should it be applied to my gloss white hood stripes or do you mask them?

Thoughts?
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:30 PM   #2
shad2009
"Cassie"

Drives: 2007 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to shad2009 Send a message via Yahoo to shad2009
you could always get the adams americana paste wax...two coats of that would be like applying one coat of their sealant...and of course the americana is applied by hand...the only other hand applied sealants i've heard from are from chemical guys

Future Wheels - 2014 Ford Mustang GT & 2014 Chevy Camaro
shad2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:38 PM   #3
hot_rod

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
For a sealant, Opti-Coat 2.0 appears to be the hot item today.

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-coat.html

Go to the forum section and read what the "detailing pros" are sayin about this product it sounds pretty impressive.

I have never used it, I'm an old carnauba wax guy myself but gotta admit these new sealants have gotten my attention.

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

"Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Unknown
hot_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #4
Mark's SS

Drives: 17 Silverado 2500HD LTZ 4x4 Duramax
You might want to check out Ziano products.

http://www.zainostore.com/
Mark's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:22 PM   #5
Synner

I saw zainos sealant (Z-CS)and it seems like a good option but I want to hear more opinions/experiences.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:52 PM   #6
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Don't have anything to offer you (at the moment) as our only sealant is machine applied... our spray sealant is on the horizon, but not ready just yet.

There are a ton of quality sealants on the market, don't feel you have to go with the nano-coating stuff.

As far as the stripes, yes... if you have gloss stripes whatever product you choose will be safe to use on them for protection... the only caution I'd offer is to avoid crossing the edges so you don't build up product at the edge.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:06 PM   #7
MMC

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS, 1987 & 2014 Silverado
I'm completly impressed with Zaino, I tried it on the SS and the paint just pops. The depth of the color and the shine is unbelievable. I liked it so much I just clayed and Dawn washed my 87 Silverado and gave it a coat of Z5 the paint on that looks like new. Multiple coats build up and the beading lasts. I put it on my other two vehicles that sit outside and it looks like it will last longer than anything else I have ever tried, and I think I have tried everything at one time or another. The tire shine is also easy to apply by rag and no overspray to worry about.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #8
Unknown SSRS

Drives: 2011 VR SS/RS
wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant, Blackfire wet diamond, Collinite 815(wax but lasts longer then alot of sealants) poorboys ex-p, theres a bunch more .. this is just to name a few.. all excellent! love them all...
Unknown SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:38 PM   #9
Tecca

Drives: ...
You have to be careful here opti-coat, gtechniq, cquartz, aquartz..,, are not sealants they are coatings. It is the same as saying a glaze is a wax.

Unknown SSRS is on the right path, I am a huge fan of Blackfire Wet Diamond.

Honestly though, I need more information, like is this brand new paint, is there any damage to the paint, has there been any wax or sealants already applied to the paint.

A sealant is only as good as the prep.
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #10
Synner

Its a brand new camaro and a year old SUV; paint is in great condition on both of them. I've got meguiars wax on both but I'm not happy with how long it lasts on the SUV which is kept outdoors and driven daily. The camaro is only out once or twice a week and garaged. No sealants on either which is why I'm looking. The camaro is probably fine since its garaged but the SUV look like it wants new wax after 3 weeks and I'm unwilling to give it that kind of attention.

But if I get something I'll use it on both to reduce the number of waxings I have to do each year.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:12 PM   #11
Tecca

Drives: ...
I would suggest the Werkstat Acrylic Kit for you based on what you want, the synergy green that you have and the statements that you made.

I am normally a major fan of using CG EZ creme glaze and blackfire wet diamond.

However based on price, you have already applied a product, and want durability plus even though you stated gloss wasn't needed this stuff will really bring out the flakes and shine of the synergy green.

So for $50 you get a paint cleaner, polymer sealant and detail spray. Plus applicators and towels. All top grade stuff.

http://www.werkstat.com/
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #12
lets_go_bills

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS CGM M6
Zaino Z-CS. Awesome stuff. Easy to apply too. Just spray, rub it in and let it dry. Car sealed!

lets_go_bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:48 PM   #13
Synner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teccboxx View Post
I am normally a major fan of using CG EZ creme glaze and blackfire wet diamond.

http://www.werkstat.com/
So you use the glaze and then the blackfire sealant or do you mean one or the other? I'm ok with spending some money but I want to be sure its worth it as I think some of the prices for detail products are nuts. Is the chemical guys glaze better than the blackfire polish? My focus is longevity so if it costs more and I don't have to wax the SUV every 3 weeks to help with bug guts removal I'm ok with it.

I've never heard of werkstat, are you recommending it based mostly on price? How would you compare it with the blackfire product line?

Its tough deciding on something I've never used or seen in person. And everyone claims to have the best longest lasting shiniest everything. The only thing I haven't liked about reading up on the zaino stuff is how they try to make you buy a crap ton of different things from them and only them. I understand about using products formulated to work well together but some of the steps and number of products required seem excessive. At least their sealant seems to be ok to use with other things.

On the SUV I plan on doing a cleaner step just because its older. The Camaro is smooth as glass still. I understand the need for proper prep as I've done powdercoating, painting, etc in the past so I know how to get it nice. I'm OCD about that stuff but just want to make the leap with the right products.

Thanks for all the help and keep the opinions coming.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:54 PM   #14
4Camaros

Drives: 72, 81, 68, 98
I'm also a fan of the Zaino products. Easy to apply and buff off by hand and really gives the paint a deep look. When I bought the '72 Camaro, the paint was at least 12 years old. I tried the Zaino products, starting with the claybar and couldn't believe how terriffic the car looked when I was finished. I thought it was all hype - until I saw it for myself.
4Camaros is offline   Reply With Quote