Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-31-2011, 12:50 AM   #1
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
Detailed: 2011 Challenger SRT8 Limited Edition

Hey folks - sorry for my recent extended absence.. My promotion at work has been quite the task so I haven't had a lot of play time lately.. However, Today, I bring you a co-workers brand new beauty... His 2011 Challenger SRT8 Limited Edition #1022 / 1100 produced. I know this is a Camaro site, but I'll work on anything related to American Muscle cars.

Products used on his new beauty:

Wash:
Adams Green Wheel Cleaner
Adams Shampoo
Adams Fender Brush
Adams Lug Brush
Adams Firehose Nozzle
Adams Merino Washmitt
Adams Detail Spray
Adams Clay Bar

Polish:
Adam's Swirls and Haze Remover
Adam's Fine Machine Polish
Adam's Detail Spray

Machines:
Porter Cable 7424XP
Flex 3401 VRG

Trim:
Adam's In n Out Spray
Adam's Super VRT
Adam's Invisible Under Carriage Spray

Interior:
Adam's Leather and Interior Conditioner

Wax:
Adam's Brilliant Glaze
Adam's Americana Premium Paste Wax

I agreed to polish this car out of the kindness of my heart, and for a "cruise" around lakewood... It naturally came with; what else - dealer installed swirls. I was anxiously awaiting his arrival this morning, as its a true beauty. As this monster pulled up into my driveway I grabbed my Nikon and snapped some early shots in the early overcast morning.

]

We began by cleaning the massive amounts of brake dust the huge rotors produce, followed by a thorough Lug cleaning and backs of the wheels with a wash mitt. Then I foamed down the car and let Daryl play with the new super soft Merino Wash Mitt to get car squeeky clean.

Here's a shot of the month old car's clay after finishing up the hood:

After air drying it, and a quick wipe down with a Great White Drying towel, we began to prep the car for what was going to be a long task:

After we taped up all of the necessities it was time to get this show on the road. I showed Daryl how to use the porter cable while I got out the flex for the larger panels, and let me tell you - this car has HUGE panels, it reminded me of polishing an SUV.

I grabbed the light of truth and my camera for some initial results after 1 pass with SHR/Orange pad, followed by FMP/White Pad.

After about an hour with the PC, Daryl decided he wanted to try out the big machine:

My Camaro was banished from her home as her spot was temporarily filled by a Monster 392 Hemi producing 470HP:

After nearly 8 hours of (2 people) polishing this gigantic car it was finally time to lay down some Brilliant Glaze, followed by a coat of Americana:

After we removed the Glaze it was quite pleasant to see how much depth and color the glaze brought out in this amazing blue:

The beautifully stitched leather seats were treating to a hand rub in of Adam's Leather and Interior Conditioner:

After 10 hours (20 total with two of us working) of relentless polishing, glazing, waxing and dressing; it was finally time to get this beast in the sun and see the fruits of our labor. I grabbed my camera as Daryl pulled the beast out of Yellow's home as I could not wait to get some shots of this beauty in the southern california sun:

Success, this thing officially changed colors with a ton of work! As soon as it pulled out I just about started drooling as the paint looked dripping wet, dark where there was no sun, and vibrant blue when the sun made its way onto the surface of the paint:

So, thats all she wrote. Minus the hour long "cruise" I took around town at speeds I will not mention incase anyone from lakewood PD decides to read this. The 470HP 392 Hemi was bound to get me in trouble if I continued to parade it around town. This car is Fast, Fun, and Beautiful... I don't think I've smiled so much since I bought my camaro... Well maybe when my daughter was born, but this was a close second

Don't get me wrong, I love my camaro.. But my 311hp is no comparison to the 470 Joyful Ponies this thing produces.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:20 AM   #2
cwo.kessler

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Awesome job! You are a talented guy bringing out the best in factory paint! That blue pops!
Old 07-31-2011, 01:31 AM   #3
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right

Drives: Synergy LS & Vulcan 1600cc
whats a challenger? looks like a girl toy
Old 07-31-2011, 01:32 AM   #4
BigHemiSrt
Account Suspended

Drives: 07 Dodge Charger SRT8
Beautiful work u done there!!! Feel free to swing by the crib anytime...lol
BigHemiSrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:04 AM   #5
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right

Drives: Synergy LS & Vulcan 1600cc
jk thats sweet man
Old 07-31-2011, 02:54 AM   #6
ooojerry

Drives: FAST
Makes me want to get a Flex

Ive got Meguiar's polisher and love it and can swear by the results but its just time consuming to do 4 passes in each direction(horizontal and vertical)...How many passes would you do on a single panel with the flex if you don't mind me asking?
Old 07-31-2011, 06:25 AM   #7
koj

Drives: 2006 Pontiac GTO
Excellent job
koj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:02 AM   #8
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
My arms just plain hurt watching and reading your job.. But what a terrific job you did. Got to love that Adams...Truly a job well done sir. and great looking car when you were finished.
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:53 AM   #9
third_shift|studios

Drives: Like I Stole It!
hats off my friend!!
third_shift|studios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:00 AM   #10
Camaro_krazee
COTW 5/26/14

Drives: '12 2LT/RS; '14 2SS/RS LS3 SSE
just one word....
WOW!!
Old 07-31-2011, 10:09 AM   #11
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Not a big fan of blue but that looks great! Nice and deep color.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:26 AM   #12
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Damn Ryan!!! That's an awesome job and good looking color for a car!
Old 07-31-2011, 10:43 AM   #13
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Came out gorgeous Ryan! Thats a stunning color combo, but man... WHITE SEATS!?!?! EEK! Just gives me nightmares thinking about maintaining that.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:05 AM   #14
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooojerry View Post
Makes me want to get a Flex

Ive got Meguiar's polisher and love it and can swear by the results but its just time consuming to do 4 passes in each direction(horizontal and vertical)...How many passes would you do on a single panel with the flex if you don't mind me asking?
1 Pass with SHR, 2 Passes with FMP... The damage was pretty light so it didnt require a ton of polishing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Came out gorgeous Ryan! Thats a stunning color combo, but man... WHITE SEATS!?!?! EEK! Just gives me nightmares thinking about maintaining that.
And to think the owner climbs telephone poles and crawls under houses for a living... he keeps towels in the car to sit on after a day of work...