Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 07-19-2011, 02:21 AM   #1
2SS\RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/rs
Motor build question??

Can anyone give me an idea of what the cost would be to pull my motor and build it? I have an l99 and have a supercharger that is gonna be installed in two days(maggy 2300). I understand that the answer is more the sky is the limit, but I was trying to see what a guestimate would be for upgrading internals to handle the charger. Not go crazy with it, but like pistons rods lifters maybe bore. Forged internals I guess. Any ideas? I know some people have done this, and thinking more long term to handle the power of the charger...

Sorry if spelling errors, posted from phone.
2SS\RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:21 AM   #2
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Your not far from Texas Speed.....PM Jason on here for all you need to know.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:09 PM   #3
OKBumblebee

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS Bumblebee edition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS\RS View Post
Can anyone give me an idea of what the cost would be to pull my motor and build it? I have an l99 and have a supercharger that is gonna be installed in two days(maggy 2300). I understand that the answer is more the sky is the limit, but I was trying to see what a guestimate would be for upgrading internals to handle the charger. Not go crazy with it, but like pistons rods lifters maybe bore. Forged internals I guess. Any ideas? I know some people have done this, and thinking more long term to handle the power of the charger...

The option you could go for which is what i did with my L99, is look into a LSX376 crate engine from GM. It's a 6.2 iron block (much stronger) with forged pistons and rods. You will then need to install hardened push rods and a slightly bigger cam that comes with the crate engine though you can use that.nthe idea would be to get ridmof the variable cam timing. The crate engine will run you about $6400 and the cam and push rods around $1000. The engine is a beast one set up. I'm running it with an edelbrock e-force and pushing a happy 450hp at the wheels. Not fly wheel. I am now looking to a ProCharger for kore power. You might also conceder a set of coated long tube headers and x pipe as you will be pulling a lot of air into the engine with the supercharger and need to get the air out as fast as it is coming in. Also look into maybe a 3:73 rear gear for more bite. I have it in mine and at 450hp it's insane. Above 450hp I'd say stick with the standard gear ratio or you will probably start breaking things in the tranny. Hope this info helps, and good luck.

James
Old 08-03-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
Txmxracer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28
I personally do not know a price for you, but you could PM CC performance or Texas Speed and get an estimate.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:33 PM   #5
69 Rebel

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS Auto
For a forged rotating assembly you are looking at about 3k probably another 2k for a shop to re&re the motor
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100385

Version II
416ci stroker/4L80e
701rwhp 750rwtq
build and tuned by
SPI-Performance
69 Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:37 PM   #6
Nvincent4708

Drives: N/A
5-8k would be my guess to do it right since you aren't doing the labor yourself.
Nvincent4708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:03 PM   #7
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
Rebuilt short block with forged pistons and rods is about $3K. Your stock crank is fine. The LSX376 motor comes with an iron block (unnecessarily heavy unless you're going BIG on power) and stock powdered metal rods. If you're good with stock rods, you can get by way less than $3K. You can get a motor more boost friendly for less by having one built to your specs. The argument for the LSX376 is that you can sell your LS3 long block (if it's healthy) and bolt this one in its place. I think the comp ratio is too low and don't like the stock rods. Lots of good argument fodder between the two routes though
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #8
Revolution
Owner of RRW

Drives: 12 ZL1 A6 white and 64 nova ss
Lsx 376 is an amazing option. I have a friend in Az just about ready to light theirs up with a 2300 on it and a nicely picked cam for boost. They are expecting some good numbers out of that combo.

Figure if your in Vegas I would not hesitate to look to other machine shops outside of town california or otherwise. I send most of my stuff back to Illinois I have my shops I trust there. I have used a couple places here in Vegas for machine work but then I do the assembly myself. I have heard one too many horror stories about shops here in town even before I went into buisness on my own. Figure if you want to do it to the rafters either drop in the lsx376 or send out yours to get a light hone on it you can more than likely run stock bore pistons and a good ring pack. I would say in the short block without any work to the heads you are going to be at about 3-35 if you are that deep in the pudding I would do the crank for the extra 1200 or so and make it a stroker and be done with it. You can push it to a 402 and with the right cam and a bit of head work you will have a very street friendly 700+ whp all day long and act like a kitten till you hit the loud pedal.

Figure whomever in town does it if it's a reputable shop you are going to be at least 1600 or so in labor for the in and out.

Shooting from the hip I would say a very round number of 7500 for a 402 forged tuned and installed.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:27 PM   #9
shines

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS\RS View Post

You can get a TSP or Livernois 1000HP capable engine for $10K and the installation will cost you $2500-$3000
shines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:38 PM   #10
honeybucket99

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM CAMARO BEAST
I feel ur pain

I asked the same questions trying to budget when I first started modding, but until I hooked up with a shop and told them what I wanted and they told me what I needed, my queries went unanswered (at least I didn't get hard facts like I wanted).

I can tell you my forged stroked motor, dual fuel pumps, clutch, new pulley, new cam is running about 12,500 parts and labor. I am happy with the # whether it is cheap or expensive...still don't know
2010 CGM 2SS/RS; 418 stroker; JE Forged Pistons (offset wrist pin); Forged Crank; upgraded valvetrain; Custom Comp Cams Cam; Kenne Bell 2.8; ID 1000s; Aeromotive Fuel pump with return; ARH Long Tubes; Spec heavy duty clutch; 3" Magnaflow Cat Back; Nick Williams 102 mm Throttle Body; Tune fixed by Dave Steck; 815 HP and 14 mpg

Upcoming--
Disintegrated drivetrain;
Divorce if/when my wife catches on to
my addiction
honeybucket99 is offline   Reply With Quote