Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-14-2011, 03:22 PM   #1
FaytalsCamaro
Distributor of Liquor

Drives: My Wife Crazy
V6 Straight Pipe advice

So I just got a 2011 Camaro LT with RS package about a week ago and got the warranty that pretty much included everything under the sun. I'm contemplating doing a Straight Pipe on it and I need some advice.

Ive looked at youtube videos after videos with few of them actually doing the straight piping on the exhaust for the v6. And since the sound quality on youtube is only so good I'm coming to you guys. Price wise it seems like this is the cheapest to do at a mechanic. But in your opinion how does it sound? Will i gain any HP? Which part(s) of the warranty will be voided for doing this? Is it reversable if I do so; as in could I put another exhaust on it if need be later down the road.

Any and all advice would definitely be appreciated!!

Here is an example of one of the videos i found of straight piping the v6. No need to tell me of the idiocy of the person in the videos choice of location.

FaytalsCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
blackTT600

Drives: 2011 2LT M6 SC
If you go to a mufler shop they will be able to build you a straight pipe exhaust, prob the cheapest way. Yes you will gain a little power.

I would suggest getting long tube headers, generaly better sound and More power than factory or short headers. If you replace your old exhaust, not modify. yes you will be able to swap it back.

I don't think it voids any part of your warranty, but as I am holding out for turbos I have yet to do this mod. So I can not speak for sure. Also with the stock LLT a lot of people say it gets "raspy" with no muffler. Just some thing to think about. You also have to think about emissions, I'm in Fl so no emissions but it's defiantly something you need to conceder.

Good luck and post up a vid when your done. Love to hear her.
blackTT600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
Mr.Maro23

Drives: 2010 2lt chevy camaro
okey i just did a straight pipe 2 days ago and i am completly changing my mind!!!! the car is superbly sounding ridiculously and extremely toooooo loud for me dont get me wrong i like how it sounds and what not but im regreting it if u like loudness and rattleling then go for it its just when you accelerate the car it rattles wayy lot anyways my point is save your money and do it the right way!
Mr.Maro23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
FaytalsCamaro
Distributor of Liquor

Lol Im right there with you when it comes to emission checks. Oklahoma doesnt do it either. Ive seen some comments about the raspy sound after reaching higher rpms. Is there a easy work around for it?
Old 08-14-2011, 04:23 PM   #5
FaytalsCamaro
Distributor of Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Maro23 View Post
okey i just did a straight pipe 2 days ago and i am completly changing my mind!!!! the car is superbly sounding ridiculously and extremely toooooo loud for me dont get me wrong i like how it sounds and what not but im regreting it if u like loudness and rattleling then go for it its just when you accelerate the car it rattles wayy lot anyways my point is save your money and do it the right way!

Hmm that was one of the worries i had. My camaro is a daily driver. So when driving around i honestly dont want to deafen everyone. But on the other hand when the chance comes and I gun it i want to be heard loud and clear.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:39 PM   #6
Mr.Maro23

Drives: 2010 2lt chevy camaro
lmao i feel you mans every body turns and looks at me like what the F*** jajajaja i like it but damn i drive it every day!!!! i never wouldve thought it was gonna sound that loud jajajaja
Mr.Maro23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:11 PM   #7
Final187

Drives: 2011 black 2lt camaro
Here is some info from my experience,

Paid a muffler shop 60$ to go straight pipe and cut off my tips and weld them on... took about 1 hour to do.... at first it sounded way to laud and raspy, but after a week of driving it toned down and rasp went away and it sounded great!!!

I felt a loss of torq from it with no back pressure, and also dropped about 3 mpg with out a change in driving pattern..... Needles to say I stayed straight pipe for about 4 months then got a exhaust from a group buy and wouldn't think about going back!
Final187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:44 PM   #8
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Yah save ur money and do it right. If it's ur daily driver u may grow tired of straight pipes after the novelty wears off.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:12 AM   #9
azombie
Tom "ZOooler"

Drives: 2011 ls manual trans imperial blue
I did the straight pipe deal 2 days after i bought the car on my muffler shops recommendation and it drove me NUTS! I found that if you want to put at minimal throttle, it was okay, but driving it even moderately fast was deafening inside the car! And I LOVE a good exhaust note! Ended up going back to the muffler shop and they cut the pipes at the axle and actually held flowmaster 2 chambers and magnaflows up to the cut pipes and let me choose...magnaflows to me were MUCH better sounding with a great note but livable as hell around town and they get a bunch of looks. My 10 cents worth...
azombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:52 PM   #10
flowmann

Drives: 1972 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaytalsCamaro View Post
So I just got a 2011 Camaro LT with RS package about a week ago and got the warranty that pretty much included everything under the sun. I'm contemplating doing a Straight Pipe on it and I need some advice.

Ive looked at youtube videos after videos with few of them actually doing the straight piping on the exhaust for the v6. And since the sound quality on youtube is only so good I'm coming to you guys. Price wise it seems like this is the cheapest to do at a mechanic. But in your opinion how does it sound? Will i gain any HP? Which part(s) of the warranty will be voided for doing this? Is it reversable if I do so; as in could I put another exhaust on it if need be later down the road.

Any and all advice would definitely be appreciated!!

Here is an example of one of the videos i found of straight piping the v6. No need to tell me of the idiocy of the person in the videos choice of location.

FaytalsCamaro – We have heard a few people who have gone with straight pipes on their V6 and V8 Camaros and changed the system within days. Installing straight pipes on a V6 Camaro is most likely going to hurt your power and gas mileage (and your ears).

We have an American Thunder kit that’s easy to install at home if you’re looking to save money on the installation.

flowmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:09 PM   #11
AUS10BMX

Drives: 2010

Heres what it sounds like with the mufflers off with cold start and idle... It sounds pretty good here, but when I gave it revs it was super raspy, I didn't film those. When I drove it just a few yards it sounded horrible. Sounds good at idle, but other than that it wasn't for me. I took my axle back off yesterday to paint them with black ceramic paint.
AUS10BMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:57 AM   #12
Sturmer

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 1LT 2010 V6 A6
Dont touch the factory exhaust.
Already regret my axle-back testings.

After custom made axle-back and Solo Mach X-LLT cat-back.
Im leaning to wards Long tube headers + factory exhaust.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:09 AM   #13
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturmer View Post
Dont touch the factory exhaust.
Already regret my axle-back testings.

After custom made axle-back and Solo Mach X-LLT cat-back.
Im leaning to wards Long tube headers + factory exhaust.

Have you tried the MRT's They are the leading seller of axle backs. Must be a reason why.

Like the fact that 98% of the owners who have bought this system LOVE EM.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:25 AM   #14
RickRay
INJACC

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS AUTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaytalsCamaro View Post
Hmm that was one of the worries i had. My camaro is a daily driver. So when driving around i honestly dont want to deafen everyone. But on the other hand when the chance comes and I gun it i want to be heard loud and clear.
If you want that sound then go get CUT OUTS installed...you'll have the choice to open or close them anytime you want.
Member of 'Club Elite' #70
2LT/RS Auto / Solo HFC / Solo Mach X-LLT J-Pipe / JBA Headers Shorty
CAI - Cold Air Inductions / VMAX TB / Trifecta Tune
Hotchkis Max Strut Brace / Blade Dovetail Spoiler / Elite Catch Can
ACS T3 Hood Ports / T2 Bumper Ports / T2 Splitter / ACS T1 Led Light Kit
ACS Rockers / ACS Composite Hood Liner / ACS Upper Rear Quarter Ports
ACS Front Wheel Mud Flaps / ACS Rear Wheel Mud Flaps / Vitesse Throttle Controller
Pedders Drop Suspension / BMR Lower Control Arms / Style 41 ZL1 Wheels /
Oracle Afterburners / Oracle Concept SMD Side markers
Complete SS Brembo Brakes Set
RickRay is offline   Reply With Quote