Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-28-2011, 07:54 AM   #43
mhood
Orange Camaros Rule!

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3 RS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandPrixGXP View Post
Here's a dumb question, but where do you get
EOM splash guards? Do you have to have your dealer order them?
My dealer ordered mine but he did let me have the same price I would have gotten from GMPP. He also installed mine for free as a part of the deal we struck for my car.

Mary - Orange Camaros Rule!
mhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:48 AM   #44
Wondering

Drives: Z06,GS Vert,Ford GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAT View Post
That's interesting. I have owned cheap and higher end cars in the past and still haven't had the orange peel issue on any of them. I haven't even seen it on my friends and families cars, regardless of being a camaro or not. The car is only two months old and I take care of it properly, and it's prestine. If orange peel was expected, I definitely wouldn't think it would appear so quickly after taking ownership. My old 02' white mustang had thinner paint than this and it still didn't have orange peel. It's just not a fun thing to deal with. I shouldn't have to fork out thousands of dollars to get the thing repainted. Unfortunately, that's how it will probably pan out.
You don't have to get a respray for orange peel. It's 100% in the clearcoat,not the paint. You need to find someone to wetsand & buff the car,but be very choosey on who you let do it. If the Camaro is anything like the Corvette,the clear is ~4 microns.

Every mass produced car has orange peel to some degree,some worse than others. I looked at a Carrera Spyder the other day with an MSRP of $204k and it had orange peel down both sides.

The only cars I've ever had that didn't have it was a Viper and FGT. And that's only because they are wet sanded at the factory.
Wondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:35 AM   #45
TCAT

Drives: Has Wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
You don't have to get a respray for orange peel. It's 100% in the clearcoat,not the paint. You need to find someone to wetsand & buff the car,but be very choosey on who you let do it. If the Camaro is anything like the Corvette,the clear is ~4 microns.

Every mass produced car has orange peel to some degree,some worse than others. I looked at a Carrera Spyder the other day with an MSRP of $204k and it had orange peel down both sides.

The only cars I've ever had that didn't have it was a Viper and FGT. And that's only because they are wet sanded at the factory.
Wow, I didn't know that. I just hope all these body shops will be honest with me about how to fix it. I REALLY don't want to spend the money to repaint the whole thing. Thanks!
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:10 AM   #46
2010victoryred

Drives: victory red black stripes 2ss rs
my 07 trailblazer ss had the same problem with the chips in the quater because of the front wheels throwing rocks at the back door they released a tsb and repaired it no questions asked if they could do it on that truck im sure they should be able to do it for the camaro regardless of road conditions i could understand that they wouldnt cover the front bumper from being chipped because they cant control other cars throwing rocks at you its the car it self causing damage to me thats considered a factory defect i only had a thousand miles on the car before the side started looking like crap at least on the truck it took 2 years for it to happen i would find that tsp for the trailblazer and shove it in there face and say if its covered on a 4 wheel drive truck thats meant for all terrain then it should be covered on a car thats meant only for the street i mean thats just common sense isnt it ? i havent done it yet but im sure i will soon
2010victoryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:38 AM   #47
TCAT

Drives: Has Wheels
Well, I should provide an update to my situation I posted earlier in this thread. I went to the dealer to meet with the body shop manager. The yellow/orange discoloration of my panels happen to be ones that protrude from the car compared to the other discrete protions of the car. So, this means that the rubbing off of a material could be to blame. He asked me if I used a car cover. I do use a car cover, and a black one no less (on a white car). I use the car cover very often sicne the camaro is my daily driver. Take on and off the car cover is the culprit for the yellow/orange discoloration of the side mirrors, door handles, front and rear bumpers, and parts near the windshield.

We went around the lot at the dealership looking at all the other camaros, both new and used. Not a single one had anything like mine, even though i didn't expect to see anything on the new camaros. He took some rubbing comound from the back and a microfiber cloth and started rubbing the yellow/orange spots. What do you know, with a little elbow greese and some time, the spots came out perfectly white. The dye from the car cover must be rubbing off onto my light colored paint causing this discoloration. This could be from the car cover material, the dye used in the material, the heat from being outside, and repeated use.

I have switched car covers, and so far so good. I have only been using the new one for one week though, but hopefully all will be well. The old car cover used to discolor the panels easily within a weeks use, so I have hope for this new one.
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:33 PM   #48
pwrmanpaul66

Drives: 2016 2/SS 6 spd Dual Mode
i have a black finish on mine and about 8,000 miles on it and ive only noticed maybee a few chips but they are really small and not that noticable ! i have been thinking of putting splash guards on but i like the look of the car without just wanted to say no real paint problems with mine sorry about yours !
Old 08-30-2011, 11:47 AM   #49
Hired Gun
Wild Man

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Well I have 13,000 miles on mine, and the dealer just repainted the rear quarters, trunk deck, and rock guards under both doors. All under warranty. My paint was coming off the top of the passenger quarter from under the paint. Looked like air bubbles. The rock guards were turning gray for some reason, and the trunk lid we found the famous chips after we removed the spoiler for the stripe kit. Now The rest was rock chips and they covered that as well. Now I need the oem splash guards.
2010 Camaro Black with White Stripes, Jannetty Racing Roto-Fab CAI, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, Long Tube Headers, GMPP Axel Back, Emblem Pros Custom "VOODOO" Under hood Bow tie, Chrome Gill Inserts, HUD plate, Sparks Performance White SS front and rear Plate MPD-1 Spoiler
Hired Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:58 PM   #50
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
I have 1500 miles on me 2012 along with splash guards and the paint is fine. However, the door edges on both sides the paint is chipping off. Looks like it adhered to the covering they put on in transport. Will be off to the dealer before winter to have this addressed. Sucks but it happens. Hopefully they can get it fixed for me.
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:32 PM   #51
L99

Drives: B On B L99-Gone/SS2
I noticed chips on my quarter panels just behind the door with only 1000 miles.
I opted for ground effects and the cured the problem.
L99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:04 PM   #52
crsr1

Drives: Camaro
I have a 2011 2SS which I purchased about 2 months ago and am arguing with GM about the paint currently. Not really about rock chips yet (just 260 miles), but places on the tops of my front fenders and hood that seem to look like "dirt" or "solvent pop" in the clear. I took a drive out to my dealer lot one night after closing to inspect a '11 convertible which is the same color and it has the same issues (which many more peolpe have if they just look as closely as I have). I have went through three seperate people at the GM Customer Service line and am currently waiting for the district manager. I must say that this has been the most ridiculous thing that I have ever encountered. Granted, you can't notice the places I'm talking about unless you are in perfect lighting with your head tilted a certain way, but for the money paid for this car, the paint quality should be better. If you end up having to deal with GM Customer Support, I feel for you. This has been one of the SLOWEST processes that I have ever dealt with. I think that they are just trying to wait me out, but they are really just beginning to make me ANGRY!
crsr1 is offline   Reply With Quote