Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-01-2009, 07:18 PM   #15
GameOv3r

Drives: 2008 Chevy Aveo
Wow, I finally worked out a way to be able to afford a Camaro SS for 36K and already a price increase? What a bunch of sh*t....maybe I'll just get an LT/RS

A Challenger is just that, a "Challenger." It takes a Camaro to be a "Champion."
GameOv3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:52 PM   #16
Douge
Eurotrash Connossieur

Drives: 1985 Mercedes 500SEL
The marketing of GM products simply defies logic.

Do they sit around a table and say, hey, I know we are in the middle of a major recession, our stock is about to be delisted, the President just fired the CEO and the entire company if falling into an abyss, but I think we need to raise our prices.

They are insane and the sooner they get flushed down the toilet the better.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:12 PM   #17
99b4c

Drives: 89 RS/99 GTP/1SS soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1982camaro View Post
this is why fords mustang will continue to be on top. The average working man can afford a GT.
Exactly, I have owned 6 Camaros over the last 18 years and never a Mustang but GM raising the price of a car thats not even on the street yet? Wish I never sold my 99 Camaro, I might have to test drive an 08 or 09 GT at least it will be priced like a pony car, affordable. GM might put the Camaro SS in the Corvette price range soon.
99b4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:16 PM   #18
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
I'm pretty sure this is an April fool's prank. C'mon, GM's not that stupid.

The author of that thread you linked to even admitted it. In that thread.
nester7929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:21 PM   #19
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
They can't just give it away. A reasonable profit should be the goal. Supplier prices go up cause the bulk ordering goes poof (suppliers have to jack up parts costs cause they make less).
Why should the supplier price matter - right now GM owes their suppliers about $5 billion anyway, what's a couple hundred thousand in a price increase going to help
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:51 PM   #20
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
I've been a huge supporter of GM lately but I too am now mistified that if this is true they have the b*lls to announce a price increase on a yet undelivered car! And they obviously think that with over 14000+ on order, they can do it (to us who ordered).
Given that there is the distinct possibility of continued financial problems its likely there will be even less customers who want their other cars, SO I guess they think they will get the money from the Camaro folks...
And honestly, how many of us actually got their dealer to commit in writing that they will get price protection AND do you think with it, the dealer is going to not jump someone over you who is not price protected?
Yea, I know Scotty and a few others on this forum won't but there are several thousand dealers out there...
HEY GM thanks, for keeping us in the dark about everything except price increases. REALLY starting to think if it was going to be worth the wait.....
Bastards...

Mine at sunset
KJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:00 PM   #21
NightmareSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 92 300zx 2001 Ram
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyFever View Post
You should qualify for price protection.
The dealer will get billed for pricing at the time of production and then given a credit once delivered.

The question, CamaroScotty, is how do we, the consumer, ensure that protection is actually passed on to us and not abused by the dealers?

I see many dealers changing their price to reflect the window sticker and then keeping the credit as well? This could be a serious scam.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:10 PM   #22
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
I'm not sure why this is such a shock to everyone??? Camaro Scotty has been saying for weeks now to expect a price increase after production starts. That was one of the benefits of pre-ordering....price protection. Now I know not everyone has the luxury of pre-ordering, but after reading the posts on here for the past several weeks, it's not really a surprise. Sure, it sucks, but not something we didn't expect.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:10 PM   #23
Bullitt

Drives: Horse & Buggy
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
Camaro Scotty has been saying for weeks now to expect a price increase after production starts. That was one of the benefits of pre-ordering....price protection.
So the only two choices were pre-order a car sight-unseen, or wait to actually see what you're ordering and pay more? What a great deal. If this price increase is for real, it's a real kick in the balls for the people that wanted to actually see, feel, sit in the car before ordering.
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:23 PM   #24
mike302

Drives: 1969 RS Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to mike302
The economy is in the crapper. People are losing their jobs left and right and GM thinks they are going to pull themselves out of financial doom by raising their prices. That will get a skeptical public to buy their vehicles. I am already on the fence about buying this car and I am a camaro fan. I NEVER buy a car sight unseen. If they jack up the prices, I will just wait until they come up for sale used because a bunch of people bought them, lost their jobs and can no longer afford them. I don't need to be the first one in town to have one. I like camaros because they are fun to drive. I don't care about being the envy of all my neighbors.

Last edited by mike302; 04-01-2009 at 11:46 PM. Reason: spelling
mike302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:53 PM   #25
DerbyChamp06

Drives: 13' RAM 1500 4x4
Interesting to read everyone's reactions here. GM has to know that so many of us will buy, but NEED to test drive car first. And that in this ailing economy, many need to hold off for few months before making such a financial commitment.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what the increase will be. But if it is substantial, it will feel like a kick in the teeth to me.

I've been biting my tongue re: future of GM after news last few days. But lets face it....it may be a miracle if they even get all 14,000 pre-orders built before going into bankruptcy, and therafter having to shelve the whole Camaro program, possibly for good.....And for those "lucky" enough to get one, how lucky will they feel when parts are unavailable to keep car running.....I really hope this doesn't happen, but its possible. GM is essentially asking us to take a huge leap of faith by buying their products right now. And now is not the time to be jacking up prices.
DerbyChamp06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:31 PM   #26
ChevyBoiSS

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS RJT
this is crazy, so soon?? damn.. mite be looking at an challenger R/T again, atleast they will bargain for these cars now.. and i bet especially once the camaros are hot in a couple months. maybe MOPAR aint so bad after all??

Thinking bout Victory Red 1SS/RS with Matte Black Custom Stripes. Automatic Transmission (L99)
and apparently a $900 dollar whole in my roof.

OHH.. DID I MENTION 24" off THE GROUND?!
ChevyBoiSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:35 PM   #27
DDustiNN

Drives: Cars
I really don't get why everyone is so surprised about this...

Does no one listen to CamaroScotty?!?
DDustiNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:51 PM   #28
mike302

Drives: 1969 RS Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to mike302
Im not surprised. Many people think they are going to save money by pre ordering. I don't share this view. Not in these times we are in.
mike302 is offline   Reply With Quote