Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-20-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
CRChevy
MARO MAN

Drives: Orange 2010 Camaro 2RS
Hypertech and warranty?

I would love trifecta but I don't have a laptop or 600 bananas so the hypertech looks very cool I lol the wide ban in hp gain does anyone know if gm will track these and kill our....(what's the warranty on the '10?) warranty?
Old 09-20-2011, 03:49 PM   #2
2010camarolt

Drives: Victory Red 1LT
would like to know this too!
Old 09-20-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
CRChevy
MARO MAN

It sounds awesome I am also trying to confirm if there are canned tunes and if so did I read the slp blackhawk filter will have ancanned tune? That could save me money!!!
Old 09-20-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
J.L.TYCHE
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 2011 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRChevy View Post
It sounds awesome I am also trying to confirm if there are canned tunes and if so did I read the slp blackhawk filter will have ancanned tune? That could save me money!!!
?
J.L.TYCHE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:34 PM   #5
moonshine

Drives: 2011 camaro rs
if you go in for warranty work and they read the pcm and detect that the computer's tuning has been altered, then yes, they can void your warranty and refuse to do warranty work on the vehicle. The car's computer stores a series of check digits that are suspose to be a certain sequence of numbers, the gm tech will plug into your car via the obd II port and scan the car's computer, then verify the calibration with gm. If it's off then they know you tuned your car.

Your warranty is only 3 year /36,000 miles, whichever comes first.

If you bring the vehicle in for something that doesn't raise a flag for them to check for a tune, then you'll be fine. But lets say your transmisson starts shifting wierd or you develop a leak or snap an axle, then yes, they will scan for a tune.

GM does extensive testing to determine how to "factory tune" the vehicles so that they will use the parts on the vehicle effectively and not pre-maturely fail. It's all cost control so they won't be repairing vehicles all the time and paying out the butt for warranty work. Each part has a limit as to how much power and rpms, force, blah blah blah... it can handle, you exceed their threshold when tuning, because the tune allows you to exceed these limits put in place by gm. This is about as simple as I can think to explain it.

After 3 /36 do what you want. Thats my plan. But don't get mad when something breaks and they deny your warranty claim.

Not trying to be a dick, but this is the truth and how it works.

I was a service advisor at a local dealership and dealt with this issue on a monthly basis. Most dealers are willing to help the customers that do business with them, such as oil changes, maintenance and repairs. If you have a good track record with your dealer, then they'll probably help you out and maybe do a 50% split on the bill with you (some will some wont). But the worse thing to do is go in for repairs and play dumb and deny that you tuned your car and then they find out that you did. They'll run you out of the door faster than you came in and then charge you for diagnostic.

2011 camaro RS V6 A6 | Summit White | More mods to come....

Last edited by moonshine; 09-20-2011 at 04:45 PM.
moonshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:09 PM   #6
CRChevy
MARO MAN

Oh my warranty is almost up anyway!!!
Old 09-20-2011, 05:48 PM   #7
R6P

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Powertrain warranty is 5yrs/100,000 miles... provided you don't get nixed for mods.
Bumper to bumper is 3/36.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:44 PM   #8
moonshine

Drives: 2011 camaro rs
My bad i thought they stopped the 5/100. Been a while. Also seen something that the v6 tune isnt detected. Ill have to check on that one.

2011 camaro RS V6 A6 | Summit White | More mods to come....
moonshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:33 AM   #9
puertoricanfont

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss
I believe Vince from trifecta once said in a post that he didn't find any counter when he tunes our cars. As long as you change back to the stock tune before going into the dealership you will be golden.
puertoricanfont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:45 AM   #10
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Yes Vince at Trifecta is easily the most knowledgeable person about our V6's ECM says he hasn't seen any evidence of a flash counter.

Chevy has made a point to include one on the V8 and notify its dealers to check it before doing any warranty work. Thus far they haven't been concerned about the lowly V6.

Hypertech's tuner allows you to return to stock tune for service at the touch of a button. It seems to be a practical alternative for many V6 qwners.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote