Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 09-30-2011, 12:15 PM   #113
Justification

Drives: Red 2SS/RS Convertible
So what and where is the most current tsb for this problem?
When I took mine in for the rub marks the tech could only find the first "fix" that did not include the tape. Even after I pulled up the other thread with TSB info and parts numbers he was unable to find anything and just said I guess you'll just end up getting a newtop before the warranty expires. It will probably be this winter since the top is coming out of the channel behind the rear window anyway.
This car is not my daily driver, it is just a very expensive toy that is driven only occasionally when the weather is good with the top down so I'm not spotting issues as the occur.
Justification is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:03 PM   #114
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justification View Post
So what and where is the most current tsb for this problem?
When I took mine in for the rub marks the tech could only find the first "fix" that did not include the tape. Even after I pulled up the other thread with TSB info and parts numbers he was unable to find anything and just said I guess you'll just end up getting a newtop before the warranty expires. It will probably be this winter since the top is coming out of the channel behind the rear window anyway.
This car is not my daily driver, it is just a very expensive toy that is driven only occasionally when the weather is good with the top down so I'm not spotting issues as the occur.
As far as I know, the latest TSB is the one with the tape fix dated 8-16-11.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:15 PM   #115
Wgrenon

Drives: RIP 2011 Camaro SS/RS Vert Black
Have had my top replaced for about a month now and no issues that I can tell. This wasn't outsourced, it was done in-house by the most detail orientated guy in the Clay Chevy service department. Or so my friend who works in the parts dept there tells me.

They had it for 9 days and I think it was worth it.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:28 PM   #116
dcfan22

Drives: '11 2LT RS 'vert Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutbutt View Post
Well just got the call from the deal. Yes number 2 replacement top on the way. According to the dealer they could have fixed the damaged anchors above the back side windows on the last install. I have been told otherwise but really don't care. 7 more days till it goes back in:-(
Hey Nutt - long time. I too am having the top wear issue. For the first 3 months it showed up as white marks - this morning I noticed it was actually worn in on the passenger side and I could feel the indentation from it.

Call GM CSV and got a case number - Do I want to have my top replaced?

Matt - dcfan22
Old 09-30-2011, 02:49 PM   #117
Brian52682

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
My top has been rubbing and they did the TSB after which I washed it but the marks are still there, I removed them with a brush but after keeping my top down for a day they came back. I am REALLY close to going to my dealer and telling them... "Look, I purchased a 44,000 dollar car and I have had both rear window regulators replaced, the TSB and now the rub marks are back" and trading this in on a ZL1.

I will let you guys know how much they try taking away from what I paid for it when I try to trade it in for a ZL1.
Brian52682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:33 PM   #118
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
I'm sorry to hear about your frustrations Brian. I would suggest going as Matt did and contact our Customer Assistance line in regards to this. If you'd like I can setup a case for you myself and get the ball rolling for you (and anyone else) in that way. I hope this helps.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:41 PM   #119
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Nice to hear from you again, I think the TSBs finally fix the pinching/rubbing problem. Just make sure that who ever does the install is familiar with the mounting or make sure they understand that GM has technicians on call to get it done correctly. Make sure they understand this, it is not an easy install.
Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfan22 View Post
Hey Nutt - long time. I too am having the top wear issue. For the first 3 months it showed up as white marks - this morning I noticed it was actually worn in on the passenger side and I could feel the indentation from it.

Call GM CSV and got a case number - Do I want to have my top replaced?

Matt - dcfan22
Old 09-30-2011, 04:58 PM   #120
Brian52682

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your frustrations Brian. I would suggest going as Matt did and contact our Customer Assistance line in regards to this. If you'd like I can setup a case for you myself and get the ball rolling for you (and anyone else) in that way. I hope this helps.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Thanks for the post Jeff, I am very happy with my dealer and the service department just frustrated with the rubbing. I am going to give it a couple more weeks and if not I will go to my dealer, if they cannot do anything I will then message you on here.

Thanks,

Brian
Old 09-30-2011, 08:31 PM   #121
Xorshaik
An engineer

Drives: 4 wheels and a motor
Quote:
Originally Posted by whidobie View Post
If all is true that their might have been adjustments during the production of the car. Why has GM not issued a statement to all owners that they should bring their cars in for inspection for a "possible problem with the top" The dealers will be informed of this with all known issues that have surfaced to that point so they know what to look out for. This can "cleanse" most of the market of the problem. I work for a mfg and anytime there is an issue that effects the consumer-the word goes out immed and our dealers are carefully instructed on how to handle this. What may not have occurred to some of the owners now, may in the future. How many owners own this car and do not go on this site and do not know any of this that is going on. It is time for GM to do the right thing.
Here is where it really needs to be emphasized that wear marks, holes in a fabric convertible top, wind noise and any of the other problems that have come about from the convertible top system are problems which are not severe within the context of all the problems that a particular car could have.

This is the part where it is necessary to point out that the problem here is not with the severity of the issue, it is with the frequency of its occurance. Examples of more severe problems that could happen on a vehicle are problems leading the the vehicle being inoperable or the vehicle being unsafe.

The kind of recall you are describing where letters are sent out asking owners to bring their cars in only happens when there is a safety risk or if the issue relates to a condition where the vehicle would be out of compliance with regulations. Any other problem, no matter how frequently it occurs, will be resolved through the warranty process.

This is true of any OEM, not only GM.
Xorshaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:39 PM   #122
Xorshaik
An engineer

Drives: 4 wheels and a motor
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
As far as I know, the latest TSB is the one with the tape fix dated 8-16-11.
Here is where my knowledge of service engineering gets a little hazy...

We've seen some posts of people that have gone in to service and been told that the 8/16/2011 TSB has become unavailable. Confirmation whether that is the case would be nice, but I'd have to wonder if that means there is something newer.

Has anyone had their top serviced and something other than the tape more recently than 8/16?

Here's the part where I say I don't know for sure how this works. It is possible that wear marks are being resolved with new top assemblies that have been revised to include some sort of fold management that avoids the wear marks without the use of tape.

*If* such a solution had been found, because it doesn't involve any special actions like adding tape or filing links, there might not be a TSB and the dealer would be installing a new top which might be a newer revision part or a new part number.

What I don't know is whether I'm correct in speculating that a revised top cover would or would not require a TSB.
Xorshaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:47 PM   #123
Brian52682

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorshaik View Post

We've seen some posts of people that have gone in to service and been told that the 8/16/2011 TSB has become unavailable. Confirmation whether that is the case would be nice, but I'd have to wonder if that means there is something newer.

Has anyone had their top serviced and something other than the tape more recently than 8/16?

Here's the part where I say I don't know for sure how this works. It is possible that wear marks are being resolved with new top assemblies that have been revised to include some sort of fold management that avoids the wear marks without the use of tape.

*If* such a solution had been found, because it doesn't involve any special actions like adding tape or filing links, there might not be a TSB and the dealer would be installing a new top which might be a newer revision part or a new part number.

What I don't know is whether I'm correct in speculating that a revised top cover would or would not require a TSB.
I got the 8/16 TSB less than a week ago so my dealer was able to do it.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:47 PM   #124
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
Mine is getting a new top right now. I did see it in the box and touched the fabric. It seems to have more cushion and thickness than the original. We shall see when I get it back tomorrow.
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:10 PM   #125
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorshaik View Post

I got an answer for this. Turns out GM had taken the TSB down to update it so it was not available the day my car was actually in the shop. They replaced my window regulator but out still makes a noise so they ordered another and will add the tape next time I bring it in.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:50 PM   #126
osprey6

Drives: 2012 45th vert
How can I locate the TSB? I have a 2011 and have the above rub marks after 1400 miles...
osprey6 is offline   Reply With Quote