Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-04-2011, 10:41 PM   #15
DROPIMP

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Quote:
And realize if you change the factory tune, your power train warranty may be affected. Search the forum and you'll find all kinds of info about it.
Thnx man, my warranty voids in less than a month!

Quote:
I have a Borla S type cat back with LT headers which I modified with Solo's J pipe. No drone anymore.
Quote:
A lil bit between 70-80 mph on the freeway... if you don't do much highway driving, you won't notice it.

I have long tube headers with mine and it still doesn't bother me much. I listen to my music between 7-13 and don't notice it at all.

You can always do SOLO or Corsa to remove drone, but I went to multiple shows/meets with 5th gens and nothing... NOTHING rivals the TONE of the Borla S type. With headers, I drive with the windows down for city driving because it sounds so incredible.
Thank you for your opinions, I am really willing to buy this muffler, moreover I saw it was only 1077 dlls in apex!
I still don't know if I will buy tuner from the begining...
DROPIMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:02 PM   #16
Ratt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2ss
If you have an auto you will have drone with any system until you remove the AFM or get headers. I have the Borla S Cat back with ARH headers and I love it. The headers took away any drone. The only time I get a strange hollow sound is when the AFM kicks in. I'm having the car tuned later this month and the AFM will be gone then. I can let you know if there is any difference after the AFM is gone.

Your better off going to a shop and putting it on a Dyno rather than buying your own tuner.
Ratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:28 PM   #17
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratt View Post
If you have an auto you will have drone with any system until you remove the AFM or get headers. I have the Borla S Cat back with ARH headers and I love it. The headers took away any drone. The only time I get a strange hollow sound is when the AFM kicks in. I'm having the car tuned later this month and the AFM will be gone then. I can let you know if there is any difference after the AFM is gone.

Your better off going to a shop and putting it on a Dyno rather than buying your own tuner.
That isn't drone. That is just the audible sound generated from having AFM. Drone is a generated frequency that will occur in an auto or manual...

Yes, once you tune it out the sound will go away COMPLETELY. You will have the true drone at 75 mph or so on the highway, but the AFM is awful. I cannot believe you were able to handle it for that long... you deserve an award for your troubles.

I tuned AFM out within a week of header install. After getting a good performance tune with efficiency in mind, I actually gain MPGs. (barely). Still around 17 city.
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:23 AM   #18
DROPIMP

Quote:

Thanx man, I would love to, but I am in Mexico and this is not really easy to find a dyno, I would have to go to tucson and it means lots of money lol!
Old 10-05-2011, 12:28 AM   #19
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
I have no drone on my M6. Never installed one on an A6..maybe soon.
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:38 AM   #20
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DROPIMP View Post
Thnx man, my warranty voids in less than a month!
Unless you have driven 100,000 miles already your powertrain warranty is not over yet.
NavyDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:14 AM   #21
DROPIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDood View Post
Unless you have driven 100,000 miles already your powertrain warranty is not over yet.
Right, I was confused with the 2 years warranty, what includes the powertrain warranty? And for the tune, can't I take it back to stock before taking it to the dealer so it doesn't voids the warranty?
Old 10-05-2011, 11:39 AM   #22
Switchback700

Drives: 2010 2SS IBM L99
Put Borla Axle back on my A6 when I first got it...... the 8 cylinder sound is much improved and the drone is not bad, the sound of 4 cylinders and the 4 cylinder drone was bad for me.... 73mph, 4 cylinders, harmonic drone would make my dash vibrate. Had mine tuned off pretty quick! Do some searches here.... manual paddle shifting kept AFM off on mine 100% of the time, some say it still activates in paddle mode, try yours. This was a brain saving technique for me when taking my 3-4 hour drive to our cottage. Manual shift to 6th gear on the highway and AFM stayed off the whole time.
Switchback700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:46 AM   #23
Switchback700

Drives: 2010 2SS IBM L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
That isn't drone. That is just the audible sound generated from having AFM. Drone is a generated frequency that will occur in an auto or manual...

Yes, once you tune it out the sound will go away COMPLETELY. You will have the true drone at 75 mph or so on the highway, but the AFM is awful. I cannot believe you were able to handle it for that long... you deserve an award for your troubles.

I tuned AFM out within a week of header install. After getting a good performance tune with efficiency in mind, I actually gain MPGs. (barely). Still around 17 city.

You will have the sound of a 4 banger with a Borla, and the sound of a 4 banger in the "Drone" zone with a Borla when AFM is activated. AFM is not some mechanical noise under your hood........ AFM is like driving around with a 4 banger... which when hitting the "Drone" zone is much worse than the 8 cylinder drone you will also encounter with a Borla.
Switchback700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:22 PM   #24
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchback700 View Post
You will have the sound of a 4 banger with a Borla, and the sound of a 4 banger in the "Drone" zone with a Borla when AFM is activated. AFM is not some mechanical noise under your hood........ AFM is like driving around with a 4 banger... which when hitting the "Drone" zone is much worse than the 8 cylinder drone you will also encounter with a Borla.
I know, I have been there and you are preaching to the choir... but drone to me is not some obnoxious sound that just activates at 35 mph in the city out of the blue when you were maintaining 35 with 8 cylinders and there was no sound at all...when AFM activates *POOF* now you have drone? .... That sir...that is the sound of death and avoidance of a gas guzzler tax...
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:59 PM   #25
waynedenny

Drives: 2015 chevy camaro ss convertible
fuel mileage

I just bought 2015 ss conv I'm going with the borla s type cat back a stupid what kind of gas mileage can I expect?
waynedenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:55 PM   #26
EM1/SS

Drives: 11 2SS/RS M6 vert
The same as you had before.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:15 AM   #27
GetSmart

Drives: 2013 Black SS
Installed the Borla S type axle back the first week I got my car, didn't notice a drone, but the AFM was now more noticeable. Third week got some long tube headers and tuned that AFM out. If you don't want to tune the AFM out, I think there is something called a "Range" device that attaches to your OBDII port that will get rid of the AFM. If I do have drone...I don't really notice it. Good Luck!
Rotofab CAI, VMAX PTB, Borla S axle-back, Dynatech SuperMaxx 1 7/8" headers/HF cats, No weeds exhaust diverters, Apex air scoop & catch can, Rohana wheels, MPD1 Z-Force Hood, BTR Stage 3 cam, Vitesse Throttle Controller, etc...
GetSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:31 AM   #28
harner

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
My car had shorties, stock cats, and Borla S-Type catback when I bought it. I liked the quality and fitment, but 6th gear highway drone and volume did not want me to keep it around. So I sold it and installed a Pypes catback and made out with a couple hundred bucks to spare. In essence, the swap paid for my OBX headers.

It's a great tone and sounds aggressive at startup, but overall I felt it was too quiet. The drone wasn't TERRIBLE, but it was there at 75mph on the highway.
1994 Trans Am LM7/CPT 4L60E/9"
1987 IROC
2006 Silverado
harner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
afm, axle back, borla s-type, cat back, catback