Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-14-2011, 01:00 PM   #15
JCMac

Drives: 2010 Yellow, Black Stripes 2SS/RS
I just went through this in Sept. Yes I came home with mine and never been happier First make sure what the prices are like in your area and don't take the first price they give you. Take someone with you. Salesmen are more likely to let you go alone with that person then get in the back seat with the both of you If you are young, try to look older if possible or at least dress well. Drive until you are comfortable with or they tell you where. Make sure you drive more then one type, V6, V8, Convertible, different color. I found each car was different and I only really liked 1I didn't even make it around the block with 1. I only came to get idea's too but after the great deal I got I couldn't say no. Just make them give you the great deal Yes, saying you are going to walk out and find a better deal does work, but be willing to work with them....LOL You have to do your research first though and know the prices. Don't forget to post pictures.
JCMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:07 PM   #16
FirstCamaro19

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
What if you show up in a camaro and be curious about driving a vette, im 19 also so the chances probably gone out the window due to the common supid idiot teenager syndrome.
Performance: Huron Speed Single Turbo Kit- Turbonetics T76- Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback - Ported Throttle Body - Dyno Tune - DSS One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft - BMR 1.4" Lowering Springs -TSP 235/239 Lumpy Stick- Aeromotive A1000 Return Fuel System

Cosmetics: Heritage Grill - LED Dome/License Plate/and Fog Lights -8000K HID Headlight - BMR 4 Point Strut Tower Brace - Forgestar Wheels

Audio: Scosche Dash Kit - Kenwood DNX6990HD w/Nav - Prefabbed Ported Box with 1 12" Alpine Type R - Alpine PDX M12 Amp
FirstCamaro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:19 PM   #17
10forty2

Drives: 1992 Chevy K5 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Drive on the different kinds of roads (smooth, bumpy, interstate, curvy) to find out how it rides, handles and performs and feels in different conditions. See how it accelerates onto a highway and how it accelerates if you were passing a vehicle at cruising speed. Don't beat on the car, but drive it like you would likely be driving it under the circumstances you would encounter. I think you can get a complete assessment of the car without driving for 10 miles. I drove 2 Camaros on 2 separate visits (4 cars total) with different tranny & engine combos to be certain what I wanted. I was up front with the salesman that I was not buying the car right away (I was waiting for the convertible). If your salesman is only interested in a sale today, walk away. There are plenty of Chevy dealers out there, so be comfortable with who you deal with. It's a lot of money so spend it on your terms. I hope this helps,
Perfect advice! Be up front with the salesperson and if they seem shady or not interested in helping you...then WALK! There are plenty of them out there that WANT your business and will work with you any way necessary.

I had a salesperson act stupid when I was looking a few years back. I was debating on the Toyota FJ Cruiser and the Nissan 350Z. Yeah, I know...two entirely different rides, but I was ready to buy one or the other and the drive would make the difference. Had I driven the car that day, I probably would have bought the 350, but to avoid the sales pressure...I told them I was still looking. I wanted to drive the manual 350Z convertible...the salesperson was demonstrating how the top went back to another couple and when I said I was interested in driving it he answered... "That ain't gonna happen today." I was taken by surprise at his answer and then I returned with, "I guess you just lost a sale then." Two days later I drove up on the Toyota FJ and made a point for him to see me and to tell him what an @$$ he was.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:26 PM   #18
kiteman

Drives: 2012 45th Camaro, 2SS/M6
i have never, ever, in my life, heard of a dealership letting you take a test drive home overnight. why the eff would anyone allow you to do that? what a liability for the dealership.

i test drove the camaro 4-5 times before i bought it, sometimes at the same dealer where the last salesman that saw me would see me again and think "hey don't i know that guy?"

i don't think they really care that much...at most the ones that knew me might say "i'm not wasting my time with that guy," but then a new salesman had no problems doing it. i have told dealers up front i didn't want to buy today, but wanted a test drive. it's never a problem, they see you as a potential sale down the road.

15-20 minutes max. most won't tell you to floor the car, though it's okay if you do. i usually forewarn my salespeople that i'm going to get on it at the next light, etc. say something like, "hey i want to see what kind of power it has...or hey i want to test out these breaks...or hey i want to make sure the airbags deploy if we jump off of this overpass..." things like that...
kiteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:41 PM   #19
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
Just find a familiar route around the dealership and ask if you can take the car for a spin. The salesman will probably go with you. There's no reason to get crazy because if you wreck it, get a ticket, or whatever, the liability falls on you. It's also impolite do endanger someone else's life in the process.

Just drive normally, feel free to "get on it" within reason to get a good feel for the car. Rules of the road still apply when you're on a test drive. Relax. This whole experience is about YOU, so don't feel rushed. You'll come to a natural accord for the length of the drive--most of mine have been 10-20 minutes, but I break up my experience. For instance, first I drove a car with a manual, and then one with an automatic. I also drove a V6 because I went in with the mindset of "I'm undecided" -- truly I wasn't, but I wanted to get a good feel for the car as a whole, not just one specific vehicle with a certain set of options.
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:45 PM   #20
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterwinning View Post
Drive it like you stole it.
to the floor right out of the parking lot
Old 10-14-2011, 01:50 PM   #21
rachykells
Gearhead rocker chick

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterwinning View Post
Drive it like you stole it.

Just not over an embankment, right Kyle? (kidding! )

The dealership didn't know me from Jane Doe and gave me the keys to take one out for a test drive. I took it out for about a half hour and got on it like it was nobody's business.

Granted, my dad and I were running errands that day so I had him with me but they didn't give me any hassle about it. I don't know if they would have otherwise, but I was also test driving v6's, not v8's. My ex bought a Transformers 2SS and apparently wouldn't let him even test drive the v8 (back when they first came out in 09.) He supposedly bought his without ever driving it.

Maybe they're more lax now. Probably depends on the dealer.

But yeah, definitely drive it and get on it! Especially if you're not buying that car.
Trifecta Tuned / VMAX ported TB / OBX LT headers / MRT v2.0 / Magnaflow Resonated X-pipe / Roto-Fab CAI / RX catch can / AAC Footwell Lights / Blacked-out Bowties / Smoked tails, side markers, reverse lights / 20% tint
rachykells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:55 PM   #22
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstCamaro19 View Post
What if you show up in a camaro and be curious about driving a vette, im 19 also so the chances probably gone out the window due to the common supid idiot teenager syndrome.
Well...you'll have to find a way to avoid the stereotype. If you're just in it for a thrill ride, you're hosed. For good reason.

But, if you show up, are serious about buying a Corvette, and explain your ability to pay, i.e:

"I've had my Camaro for __ years now, I (have the title) or (I have positive equity) or (I owe what it's worth), and I'm looking to get into a Corvette. I've got pre-approved financing from ___ so I'm ready to make a deal when I find the right car"

You should know in advance what your budget is. At 19 years old, you should probably be accompanied by a parent if a parent will be paying for the car, OR, my guess is you're looking at a used Corvette (C5? early C6?), probably no more than $30k? Completely do-able... especially since you're of legal age to sign a financing contract.

Money talks. It may take multiple tries to get someone to take you seriously. When I walked in at a young age to buy a used Camaro Z28 that cost around $20k, they didn't take me seriously at first, thinking I was just a kid kicking tires. Once I told them I had the title to my trade in and had financing options through my credit union, they were a little more interested in treating me like a customer. I went home with that Z28.
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:26 PM   #23
gelboy1015

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, MKIII Supras
Leave 2 long black strips as you leave the parking lot.

Just kidding, lol. The salesman rode in the back seat while we test drove an SS with my dad. Basically told us to go around the block, then on the last stretch/straightaway by the dealership he told me to floor it. I bought my SS the next day!
gelboy1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:36 PM   #24
ROD_SS

Drives: 2013 1SS Camaro and a truck
My test drive -- the salesman drove it off the lot and then we switched spots. I did not floor it though.

My friend and I went to the ford dealership because he was looking at the 2011 5.0 mustangs. We had a 60-70 year old salesman and he was cool. I was in the passenger and salesman in the back...he tells my friend why you being so soft with the car. haha ..that car can get up and go
Old 10-14-2011, 03:36 PM   #25
Noodle SS

Drives: 2011 BMW 328XI, 2012 Camaro (soon)
Get a good salesman and the possibilities are endless. My wife was just in the market for the BMW 3 series that we now own. When discussing with the salesman (i was not present for the visit) she told him I had to signoff (obviously). This was on a Thursday and we were going out of town for the weekend. His response... "Take it for the weekend and test drive it." SOLD!!!

J Woj - Don't buy tomorrow! I know the urge will be brutal, but keep saving up for that order first thing next year. Nobody wants to take delivery and then have to park it for our brutal winters!
Noodle SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:37 PM   #26
FirstCamaro19

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADLS3 View Post
Well...you'll have to find a way to avoid the stereotype. If you're just in it for a thrill ride, you're hosed. For good reason.

But, if you show up, are serious about buying a Corvette, and explain your ability to pay, i.e:

"I've had my Camaro for __ years now, I (have the title) or (I have positive equity) or (I owe what it's worth), and I'm looking to get into a Corvette. I've got pre-approved financing from ___ so I'm ready to make a deal when I find the right car"

You should know in advance what your budget is. At 19 years old, you should probably be accompanied by a parent if a parent will be paying for the car, OR, my guess is you're looking at a used Corvette (C5? early C6?), probably no more than $30k? Completely do-able... especially since you're of legal age to sign a financing contract.

Money talks. It may take multiple tries to get someone to take you seriously. When I walked in at a young age to buy a used Camaro Z28 that cost around $20k, they didn't take me seriously at first, thinking I was just a kid kicking tires. Once I told them I had the title to my trade in and had financing options through my credit union, they were a little more interested in treating me like a customer. I went home with that Z28.
I bought my Camaro barely used and I bought it private so Ive never had to deal with a dealership to buy a car before. I went to a Skidoo dealership to buy a new leftover snowmobile about 6 months ago and as soon as I started asking questions about the sled the sales guy started acting like im some joke just playing around. So I walked straight out the door, took a 30 minute drive to another dealership and bought pretty much the same sled. Its all about who your dealing with i guess.
Performance: Huron Speed Single Turbo Kit- Turbonetics T76- Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback - Ported Throttle Body - Dyno Tune - DSS One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft - BMR 1.4" Lowering Springs -TSP 235/239 Lumpy Stick- Aeromotive A1000 Return Fuel System

Cosmetics: Heritage Grill - LED Dome/License Plate/and Fog Lights -8000K HID Headlight - BMR 4 Point Strut Tower Brace - Forgestar Wheels

Audio: Scosche Dash Kit - Kenwood DNX6990HD w/Nav - Prefabbed Ported Box with 1 12" Alpine Type R - Alpine PDX M12 Amp
FirstCamaro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #27
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezerj View Post
First off, don't tell them that you are looking to by down the road. If they know that they won't make a sale, they are not very friendly....

Secondly, if you play your cards right, they usually will let you take the car overnight. I know that there will be plenty of people that read this and say, "no way", but trust me I've done this several times.....and almost all of the time it is the car salesman that suggests this.

Now granted, if you are 16-25 years old, this may not work for you. But, I am 40 with a real job and have taken a CamaroSS, a 2011 Mustang GT, and a Challenger R/T, all overnight.

I let them know that I was looking at all three of these cars and that it really came down to which one me and the WIFE liked best. The natural reaction of the car salesman is to get you to bring the wife in to look at it.....and there in lies the problem....my wife wasn't very interested in going to a car dealership to look at a muscle car.

When I informed the salesman of this, they all came up with the same response....take it home overnight and show it to her. All you need is a valid drivers license and valid insurance.

To be completely honest, this was the biggest deciding factor of me getting one. Without driving all three for a good amount of time, I don't think I would have been as comfortable as I was in which one to get. By the end, I was sure of the CamaroSS.

I didn't rod the heck out of these cars, but with the opportunity to drive it overnight I was able to drive the car at ease without a salesman with me and actually get used to the car. You can't get that from a quick spin around the dealership......

Hope this helps
Well crap! I'm only 35 and have been in the military since I was 18... I guess I have 5 more years to consider it a "real job". SERIOUSLY?!! Some 18 yr olds I know prob have a way better "real job" than most of us here. Pretty good advice otherwise, but that was just over the line.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:27 PM   #28
Cam2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SM0KE View Post
Im betting you end up buying it tmr
I agree.
Cam2011 is offline   Reply With Quote