Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 11-24-2011, 10:17 PM   #4131
Cali_Camaro_SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS (BLACK)
Yes plz, and I will be there for my promised ride in the beast.
Still got my free ticket pass for that ride

But good with it and thats great that hes gonna come out him self to put it in.

Cant wait to see it again! GL!!!
Old 11-26-2011, 02:26 PM   #4132
4xchamp
MURC 666

Drives: 69 Pace Car 68 Camaro Restomod 81 Z
Glad to hear the Speedster tranny is ready . Man , you have a lot of really cool advanced projects going on . Do you ever rest ?
I fired the 416 LS3 yesterday and all seems well , just too darn lean under boost . I'll be off to the dyno tuner after some break in miles .
My really big news is the Chris is finally going for integral fuel tanks , engines are at machine shop and drives being freshened .
I'm undecided on the co ckpit though . I do have my original laminated F16 canopies and tub however recent events have me reconsidering . My drop into the hull open top canopied enclosure from 1989 was and in some ways still is an advanced safety structure , however I'm no engineer . Now , being 20 something years wiser I'm researching my options .
Good luck with the car next week .
Old 11-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #4133
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
B, great news.. I have everything crossed that the SST is on it's way East in short order... Have fun at PRI...

My nine inch with the Wavetrac and 3.07 gears will hopefully be in route this coming week... I can't wait to have a bullet proof driveline and finally be able to launch it... We are still prepping for the mile... More on that later...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:11 PM   #4134
4thGen427CI
5th Gen

Drives: 10 SS
Hey Bruce I don't wanna turn your thread into one of those big debates. But what is your opinion on having a full cage in a daily driver car? I've been reading up a lot and can't decide on a right or wrong decision. I've heard its plenty more dangerous when you put steel close to your head in a crash. And also heard, if your wearing a harness you should be fine. Just wanting your opinion or what your thought are since you got a full cage.
4thGen427CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:00 PM   #4135
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
Thanks Chris. Really can't wait to finally get it home. See ya at PRI. Thank You !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
Hehe! I love it!

This is great news, Bruce! I'm so glad that the tranny is ready. Get that video camera battery charged. We want to see and hear your beast while street tuning!
Yeah, we won't make the same mistake twice and not have the video rolling. Something about once the rpm starts going past 7000, the blood starts pumping and you aren't thinking video...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuryman View Post
Nice! Finally!
B. We tore into the Pumpkin Ale for Thanksgiving. You have a bunch of converts here in Florida. Thank You !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andredmg View Post
+1 YES VIDEO WITH SOUND he he...
Yes, we will make sure there is sound. No lip synch here...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by UF4LIFE102SS View Post
Still here ready to head north! Hope it works B.
Once it gets to east coast, will call...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali_Camaro_SS View Post
Yes plz, and I will be there for my promised ride in the beast. Still got my free ticket pass for that ride

But good with it and thats great that hes gonna come out him self to put it in. Cant wait to see it again! GL!!!
Yes, we will ruin some tires together out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xchamp View Post
Glad to hear the Speedster tranny is ready . Man , you have a lot of really cool advanced projects going on . Do you ever rest ? Sometimes...
I fired the 416 LS3 yesterday and all seems well , just too darn lean under boost . I'll be off to the dyno tuner after some break in miles . Just be nice until you can run fatter. Don't want you melting any thing...
My really big news is the Chris is finally going for integral fuel tanks , engines are at machine shop and drives being freshened .
I'm undecided on the co ckpit though . I do have my original laminated F16 canopies and tub however recent events have me reconsidering . My drop into the hull open top canopied enclosure from 1989 was and in some ways still is an advanced safety structure , however I'm no engineer . Now , being 20 something years wiser I'm researching my options .
Good luck with the car next week .
Very cool on the Chris Cat. Send or post pics if you can. That hull is a classic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
B, great news.. I have everything crossed that the SST is on it's way East in short order... Have fun at PRI... You betcha.

My nine inch with the Wavetrac and 3.07 gears will hopefully be in route this coming week... I can't wait to have a bullet proof driveline and finally be able to launch it... We are still prepping for the mile... More on that later...
It will be so nice that you can hammer away and not even have to think about the rearend. The wavetrac is one tough unit. Can't wait until you and Brandi hit the mile. You will be flying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thGen427CI View Post
Hey Bruce I don't wanna turn your thread into one of those big debates. But what is your opinion on having a full cage in a daily driver car? I've been reading up a lot and can't decide on a right or wrong decision. I've heard its plenty more dangerous when you put steel close to your head in a crash. And also heard, if your wearing a harness you should be fine. Just wanting your opinion or what your thought are since you got a full cage.
This is opinion only, so take it FWIW:

I have owned multiple street legal cars with full cages in them. If your car is fast enough to warrant having a cage then by all means run one.

If your car is not quite that fast, then it is your choice if you want it for safety. But safety means two things - at the track - rollover/driver/crash protection (sans helmet); - on the street - you
must use 5 point harnesses and SFI padding anywhere you (and your passengers) heads could come into contact with it. Try hitting yourself in the head with a hammer if you want to get a feel for an unpadded bar. The biggest thing is to make sure your harnesses won't let you impact a bar. If you are tall or have tall passengers, gotta have double padding. SFI underneath covered by a thicker non-SFI pad. (The non-SFI pad is a lot softer for initial impact and then the SFI absorbs the rest)
Old 11-26-2011, 06:22 PM   #4136
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

If I can add a caveat to this about the full cage on the street and the five point harness... Some states don't allow the harness on the street.. They say it's too restrictive for outward view... check your local regulations.. But certainly the double padding on the bars your head can reach. I'm also looking to get seats that allow me to sit lower so I'm not as much at risk on the streets...

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

Old 11-26-2011, 06:56 PM   #4137
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
and always make certain your shoulder belts are mounted high enough that they do not draw down on impact.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:01 PM   #4138
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
If I can add a caveat to this about the full cage on the street and the five point harness... Some states don't allow the harness on the street.. They say it's too restrictive for outward view... check your local regulations.. But certainly the double padding on the bars your head can reach. I'm also looking to get seats that allow me to sit lower so I'm not as much at risk on the streets...
Interesting about the outward view...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
and always make certain your shoulder belts are mounted high enough that they do not draw down on impact.
Absolutely. More than a few racers have had permanent spinal compression issues resulting from incorrect belt placement. The rulebook allows 25 degrees from horizontal based on driver's shoulder height. Personal preference is 10.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:08 PM   #4139
4thGen427CI
5th Gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
This is opinion only, so take it FWIW:

I have owned multiple street legal cars with full cages in them. If your car is fast enough to warrant having a cage then by all means run one.

If your car is not quite that fast, then it is your choice if you want it for safety. But safety means two things - at the track - rollover/driver/crash protection (sans helmet); - on the street - you
must use 5 point harnesses and SFI padding anywhere you (and your passengers) heads could come into contact with it. Try hitting yourself in the head with a hammer if you want to get a feel for an unpadded bar. The biggest thing is to make sure your harnesses won't let you impact a bar. If you are tall or have tall passengers, gotta have double padding. SFI underneath covered by a thicker non-SFI pad. (The non-SFI pad is a lot softer for initial impact and then the SFI absorbs the rest)
Sounds like a great idea, once I start modding I'm definitely getting a full cage to save some money.

Quote:
Yeah I was thinking of getting some light weight seats that I can adjust to keep the passenger and mine's head as much away as I can. I'll have to look into that harness regulation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
So mount them like an inch or more above where the top of my shoulders will be? If I were to get into an accident they would just hold me in place and not smash my back down.

Thanks for all the comments guys,
Old 11-26-2011, 11:33 PM   #4140
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Sounds like a great idea, once I start modding I'm definitely getting a full cage to save some money.

Yeah I was thinking of getting some light weight seats that I can adjust to keep the passenger and mine's head as much away as I can. I'll have to look into that harness regulation.

So mount them like an inch or more above where the top of my shoulders will be? If I were to get into an accident they would just hold me in place and not smash my back down.

Thanks for all the comments guys,
No, you want them just below the tops of your shoulders.... Above and they allow for upward body movement allowing your head to get into the roof... Too far down, if you have a frontal impact, your body weight going forward will collapse the seat back and bend your back in a way it isn't designed to bend... The harness shoulder restraints should be just below shoulder height, and like was posted, no greater than a 25 degrees from horizontal, though like B, I want mine to be closer to ten... A lot of this is based on how tall the driver is and how low or high the seat is..... Please do not have the mounts above your shoulder height...

Old 11-27-2011, 12:46 AM   #4141
4thGen427CI
5th Gen

Quote:
No, you want them just below the tops of your shoulders.... Above and they allow for upward body movement allowing your head to get into the roof... Too far down, if you have a frontal impact, your body weight going forward will collapse the seat back and bend your back in a way it isn't designed to bend... The harness shoulder restraints should be just below shoulder height, and like was posted, no greater than a 25 degrees from horizontal, though like B, I want mine to be closer to ten... A lot of this is based on how tall the driver is and how low or high the seat is..... Please do not have the mounts above your shoulder height...
Really didn't think that one through my bad.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:15 AM   #4142
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Really didn't think that one through my bad.
Not a problem... Thats why we try to help each other...

Old 11-27-2011, 11:33 AM   #4143
4xchamp
MURC 666

Drives: 69 Pace Car 68 Camaro Restomod 81 Z
Very cool on the Chris Cat. Send or post pics if you can. That hull is a classic.

Bruce , thanks for the offer , as you are well aware I'm boat crazy and feel these Chris's and Shadows are the first real high speed roughwater cats ! To me it's the COPO Camaro of the marine world .
Here are some action shots and a change of pace for the C5 guys .
I'm going to toss up some shots of the reconstruction process when I can figure out how to pull shots from the galleries my boat builders sent . We went all vaccuum bagged foam , epoxy then detailed and clear coated the entire inside grid work and bulkheads shedding almost 500 lbs in the process . It's a work of art for what it is .
I just sold my 42 Fountain , will play with the Chris for a while but plan on a cat like yours in a couple or few years . Hopefully when I'm prepared there will be a nice pre-owned out there at a fair price .
I'm looking forward to hopefully meeting you at one of the Offshore races next season .
Keep up the good work on all your fronts .
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2011, 10:13 PM   #4144
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Dznts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine psi > tire psi, f5....., holy crap!, horsepower, omgwtfbbqsaucepowa!!!, speedster, sst, turbo